Author Topic: Artemis Rocket Launcher  (Read 96736 times)

Offline Machiavelliest

• Salutes: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Artemis Rocket Launcher
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2013, 10:57:13 pm »
On the front mount of a Junker, it works well for chases in that you can disable enemy engines.  That said, you do have to be a bit of a surgeon to make that work.

Offline Sir. Bennigan

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 07:44:04 am »
I think it'd make an excellent long-to-medium range pursuit weapon in tandem with the Mercury for the Pyramidion. Compared to most all of the other small weapons (besides the merc.) it has the range and accuracy to pose as the "flack" after the merc takes down the armor. If anything, it's good at disabling at range because unlike the merc. it has shatter damage and AoE, and with the Hwatcha at range you'll only get a few hits with it's spread. All in all I'd consider mostly a long-distance disabler that handles itself decently at closer ranges.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 10:26:03 am »
I wish it still was homing. I can't use it at all anymore.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2013, 03:40:03 pm »
I wish it still was homing. I can't use it at all anymore.

Do you want it to be OP again?

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2013, 04:15:21 pm »
A tiny bit of homing could be cool. Make them a bit more viable at range but not advantaging them close or against fast ships. Actually it would make a half decent anti-sniping option which would be nice to have at range.

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 12:34:12 am »
homing would be really weird in this universe. the people are flying airships that run on prop engines and are held in the sky by cloth baloons, but have sufficent tech to have homing capabilities on their missles? it just does not work. i still say that the artemis is effective at rapid component destruction but requires a really top tier gunner to do it. the MAIN problem lies not with the damage but aiming and flight characteristics.  although granted damage could probably be tweaked as well but that is how a system of imperfect balance works damage values will always need to be tweaked on everything forever :P.  making it slightly easier to shoot i think would be fine. only ever so slightly though.

I've noticed a tendency of people wanting to compact the difficulty of gunning almost to a point where a powder monkey can be effective with any and all guns you put on the ship right away (usually stemming from pilots with blinders on). this should never happen, having 1/3rd of the game offer no payoff for increasing your skill level is silly.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 10:16:32 am »
homing would be really weird in this universe. the people are flying airships that run on prop engines and are held in the sky by cloth baloons, but have sufficent tech to have homing capabilities on their missles? it just does not work. i still say that the artemis is effective at rapid component destruction but requires a really top tier gunner to do it. the MAIN problem lies not with the damage but aiming and flight characteristics.  although granted damage could probably be tweaked as well but that is how a system of imperfect balance works damage values will always need to be tweaked on everything forever :P.  making it slightly easier to shoot i think would be fine. only ever so slightly though.

I've noticed a tendency of people wanting to compact the difficulty of gunning almost to a point where a powder monkey can be effective with any and all guns you put on the ship right away (usually stemming from pilots with blinders on). this should never happen, having 1/3rd of the game offer no payoff for increasing your skill level is silly.

Well, that was WWII technology with the V1 flying bombs, just say "BLAME CHALADON" or something.

They already do low enough damage that a kill is a long time. So yes, it would be a noob weapon for some people with homing. But the damage is lower than before, if I remember right. It would also be used to set up that trifecta more easily. But a howitzer/field gun will still usually be stronger than an artimis.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2013, 10:45:46 am »
The V1 wasn't a homing weapon.  It went where it was instructed to go before taking off.  It was not able to detect or react to changes in the targets movement vector.

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2013, 10:53:30 am »
Once upon a time, pigeon-guided bombs were considered and tested.

Sadly, they were ineffective.

The Artemis needs more love by boosting its unique features- not just its damage. What makes the Artemis special? If there isn't anything really special, then what could be added to it?

I'd say that, because its the longest range explosive light-gun, it should perhaps get buffs to make it a better choice for longer ranges. As of now, the Flak still wins out at nearly every range. Perhaps if the Artemis' explosive AoE was larger?

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2013, 11:15:28 am »
Once upon a time, pigeon-guided bombs were considered and tested.

Sadly, they were ineffective.

Project Pigeon, BF Skinner and the Bat Bomb (not to be confused with the Bat Bomb)..

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2013, 11:42:35 am »
The V1 wasn't a homing weapon.  It went where it was instructed to go before taking off.  It was not able to detect or react to changes in the targets movement vector.

Oh, true. It did have a guidance system though.

Then again, since when did WWI have hwachas? The heavy weapons are things you sit in, not things you move with your hands. It's not like this is super realistic to technology in WWI, and right now the Missile Sling just feels like an inaccurate field gun. Give it something special, at least.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 11:46:13 am by Keon »

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2013, 12:00:27 pm »
Then again, since when did WWI have hwachas?
The Hwacha is a 14th century Korean weapon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hwacha and is the one of the first examples of a multiple launch rocket system.

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2013, 12:17:36 pm »
The Hwacha is essentially the big daddy version of the Artemis, and as such they both have their roots in the Le Prieur rocket.  The British had developed the Congreve rocket even earlier after experiences against Indian rocket artillery.  There's nothing in the concept of solid-fuelled rockets that post-dates WW1.  Take the existing rocket knowledge and build it up into a turret-based artillery piece.

The Artemis isn't a weak weapon as it is, but it's difficult to aim effectively if you're not used to it.  It possibly suffers from the simplified ballistic model used in the game, which I think struggles to model the flight path of self-propelled projectiles.

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2013, 12:29:28 pm »

Oh, true. It did have a guidance system though.

Then again, since when did WWI have hwachas? The heavy weapons are things you sit in, not things you move with your hands. It's not like this is super realistic to technology in WWI, and right now the Missile Sling just feels like an inaccurate field gun. Give it something special, at least.

Yeah, WWI is more of a general "idea" of what's going on, pretty sure WWI-era clothing didn't include all that many rotating gears either.  That and all the countries are fictional.  I could suspend disbelief over a homing rocket if that made it a more interesting weapon than it is now.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2013, 01:13:06 pm »
Never knew about the Le Prieur Rocket. Salute! Hubert PIckle for teaching me something new.