Author Topic: Artemis Rocket Launcher  (Read 96686 times)

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Artemis Rocket Launcher
« on: April 14, 2013, 03:39:51 pm »
Is the Artemis Rocket Launcher underpowered? Or is it just fine? I think it's useless myself. What about you guys?

Discuss.

Offline Wazulu

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 39
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
Re: Artemis Rocket Launcher
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 03:56:55 pm »
It's a great combo to have in a long range Merc build:

With Lesmok it can just about keep up in most long range engagements.
If it devolves into close range fighting it can still be used effectively, even better so with Greased rounds.

Problems:

It has a low damage output, however on permahull it still does a decent job
-It can't kill as fast as a GatFlak combination
It requires more aim adjustment than other weapons, especially horizontally. Therefore, difficult for newer players to use at speed (in Squid).

In essence, it only really helps out in a Long Range Junker load out- by itself it doesn't shine, and other loadouts are simply more effective at closer ranges.

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 05:12:19 pm »
I'm in love with pretty much all weapons other than the standard things... i.e. hwacha and light-flak, carronade, merc, etc. are avoided by me for the most part. On my Pyra, I take gat/art front. I've noticed that the Artemis is usually able to keep the damage up if it has Greased, but otherwise, it only succeeds at disabling systems(Using burst makes its AoE insane for this). The Flak just plain outclasses it within effective range. Otherwise, the Art's range is its only better quality. If it had a higher magazine, or a faster firing speed, that would help it out a lot. I think that the damage is in a good place as is, but it feels too much like a support weapon without some sort of extra 'drill'-like feature, as in, constant pressure from it will cause problems.

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 05:27:52 pm »
It doesn't quite shoot where you aim it if you're shooting really low or high, too (though that may be patched already).  It's accurate but it doesn't travel fast enough to really make its longer range that much more useful than a flak with heavy clip.  Mercs are already deadly as it is, though, I don't think making an effective sniping gat/flak combo would help matters.

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 05:55:49 pm »
I don't think making an effective sniping gat/flak combo would help matters.

Agreed. Careful balancing would be needed, but as of now, I feel that it only has a small niche application- an explosive merc substitute. I've done dual Artemis front on a Pyramidion with greased ammo, and that wasn't very effective compared to the second match's dual flak front.

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 10:54:20 pm »
Artemis are the best component snipes, but they require high level of skill to use effectively. but they are a little weird to use cause most of the single barrel weps are on the right side of your screen, while the artemis are on the left. :P

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 11:13:28 pm »
The Artemis still seems like a poor substitute for a Merc. Although it does more to hurt the components, you are less likely to hit, far less likely to hit what you wanted, and lacking in the armor damage of the merc.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 01:26:31 am »
I'm in agreement with everything above.  It's the poor mans merc, less damage, not as accurate but does a wider spread and heads more shots per clip.

In a game that had some kind of resource mechanic to upkeep, I could see how this would fit in as a cheaper cost effective weapon, but as it stands it's usefullness is very niche, and can be outclassed by a merc in all but a very few and rare circumstances.
A good example would be having it on the side of a goldfish for longer range support on maps like canyon or duel at dawn.  Faster shots, closer range, good to snap off if the opportunity presents itself.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 03:43:54 am »
It's a harder weapon to use than the usual light-weapon combinations, but it's an interesting alternative on a Junker or Pyra build.  Probably not one for a PUG, but something I'll sometimes use with a crew that I know can use it - for a Artemis-Whirlwind combination.

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 06:18:41 am »
The only situation I've seen it used well is the side of a junker in combo with a gatling gun, and even there I'm not sure the role wouldn't be better served by a flak or banshee.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 08:29:29 am »
If it's on thean upper-rear mount of the Junker it works because that's the engineer's mount - there's not really that much to choose from between the flak and the artemis, sometimes a change is as good as a rest.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 10:16:22 am »
Is the artemis the missile sling or the rocket launcher? I use neither.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 10:24:50 am »
Missle sling... I dont use it much, but as a supporting role, I've used a merc/artemis pyra to good effect. not that good if there is not an aggressor ship to play the mid field

Offline Linen

• Salutes: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013, 05:54:27 pm »
I don't know. I've flown my Merc/Atry topside pyra and destroyed at long range. I've even killed meta pyra's that charged me by shining in full reverse and sniping out their guns. Compared to the double merc ships I've flown they kill a lot faster cause of the Arty hull damage. But I do agree you need someone who can aim it.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2013, 06:17:25 pm »
I haven't found a good use for it on any of my builds. It feels like a poor man's hwacha as opposed to a poor man's merc. The merc is meant for armor stripping and component shattering at long range, where as the artimis and hwacha both do AOE/shatter damage which is good for disabling guns and finishing off ships after the armor has been stripped. The thing is the hwacha does it so much better that if you want a ship to function as a weapon/engine breaker you almost always go with a hwachafish.