Author Topic: Burning Skies Saloon  (Read 1146256 times)

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 57
    • View Profile
Re: Burning Skies Saloon
« Reply #2040 on: June 18, 2013, 11:00:49 am »
--Eastern wall--

Nidhogg and Tristan stood on the wall near the batteries and scanned the skyline. Nidhogg kept one hand over the hilt of his sword, and the other over his holster. Both brothers had been equipped with body armour and pistol ammo a'plenty. Their bodies and minds were ready for war.

Tristan
"I guess this isn't what you had in mind when you sought 'adventure'"

Nidhogg
"No, not really. And I think, if I survive, I'll return home with you, I'm not cut out for the frontier life."

Tristan
"I'm glad."

The two shared a last brotherly hug before the battle.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: June 18, 2013, 12:22:59 pm »
Spoon stepped up alongside a bunch of guards on the wall, looking out on the horison. They were far too preoccupied with the scene in front of them to notice him.

and so it begins...

Offline BdrLineAzn

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 103
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: June 18, 2013, 12:36:20 pm »
--Dawn Break--

BdrLine is on board with Niko on his cousin's ship. It's the only galleon in the small five ship formation, the other four, two pyramidions and two junkers, are formed up on either side of the ship. As BdrLine goes to the port side of the ship with his telescope out, he notices the poped blue smoke coming from the defected Baron ships.

At least their friends are safe.

He retracts the glass and heads up to the helm where Niko and his cousin, Gang, are at the helm. As he walks up the stairs, BdrLine is wearing some light body armour for some protection. Over his shoulder is the rifle he and Yiski had made, while on his forearms he wears the extendable blades, modified to have metal bracing on the top. Finally a small pistol is holstered on the right side of his hip.

Niko
"How's it goes so far?"

BdrLine
"Well, a few Baron ships manage to defect and are going behind the wall for cover, I assume that majority are old friends of Zill's. But the majority of the Fleet is still there and their squids are attacking."

Gang
"Damn, well what are we waiting for, *he goes to the radio on board* Shogun, Fallen Leaf, bare port sides and fire away at the squids with the mercuries. *to crew on board* Alright get the flaks ready we're shooting as well."

The galleon and the two pyramidions then turn to port, and soon mercury and flak rounds start exiting the barrels of the guns. Rounds fly as they race towards the attacking squids, some manage to hit, but with the speed, majority of the rounds flew behind them.

As the Niko and BdrLine watch on, a beep on BdrLine's radio come to life. He turns to look and answers it.

BdrLine
"Zankif Melin, that you?"

Zankif
"Yup and looks like we arrived to the party, do what's the sit-rep."

BdrLine
"Before the attack, we manage to get some defector ships on our side, but now their squids are attacking. How about you guys?"

Zankif
"Well we are coming from the east side, so we may have a shot left and rear flank. For firepower though, we got two galleys, two hawacha and a lumber fish, three pyras, tow Junkers, and the two squids Melin came on."

BdrLine
"Speaking of Melin, you have word of their attacks plans?"

Melin
"Sorry Bdr, my men didn't have a chance to get on the command ship and hack their comms, they left port as they were about to get on. But we have other news, my men back in the Barons manage to find the old king, King Gregor, he is being held in a prison somewhere, they are making plans to break him out. Keep this battle going as long as you can, we can't have word of some ships returning to help stop this prison break out."

BdrLine
"Okay, so you guys are going for an attack run?"

Zankif
"Yeah, we'll try to disable some transports and fire ships, but no promises."

BdrLine
"Roger, out."

He radio turns silent as BdrLine looks to the east and sees rounds coming out of a cloud bank hitting the rear flank of the Baron formation.

BdrLine
Gods help us all.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 12:42:03 pm by BdrLineAzn »

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: June 18, 2013, 12:59:09 pm »
--The Wyvern--

The Wyrm looked through his spyglass at Zankif's ship, emerging from a cloud into the rear flank of the formation.

Wyrm
"Watch out, looks like we got ourselves a maniac. Ready on port guns! I'm bringin' us back to the rear!"

He adjusted course to fly towards the rear of the fleet, nearly crashing into about a dozen ships on the way. Noticing some change in course, Lord Gallafell emerged from his quarters.

Gallafell
"What are you doing!? You're meant to stay in formation with the rest!"

Wyrm
"Screw the formation, I'm gonna save our asses!"

The Wyvern pulled up next to the exposed transports, shielding a few of them from the flanking menuevour, while letting off some hwacha fire into the attackers.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: June 18, 2013, 01:12:08 pm »
-But then it broke-

Shots from his starboard rang in his ears and Nova and Jun'ko took aim at the encroaching squids. The merc fired with deadly precision, and the artemis whistled into their weak spots. Despite the hits, only six squids had gone down to the batteries. Zill looked back at the main body of the fleet so see them at 5 km, still closing. Assessing the situation, he gave new orders over the radio.
Zill
"All batteries target the main body, with troop transports a high priority. All squids are to hop over the wall and engage the remaining squids. We need them off our guns."

Seeing a flaking run being commenced by another group of the Baron's, Zill tugs out a tar bomb, and lights it with a short fuse. He tosses it overboard. Moments later it explodes in mid-air is a large plume of tar. Shortly after, a mercenary unit of three junkers, two goldfish, and two squids rises behind a chasm in the mountains. They commence a bombardment on the main body with their long range, taking the baron fleet by surprise. Chaos was beginning to ensue, but they maintained a rough formation, and while damaged, weren't going down quickly.

Once over the batteries, Zill knew the fight was going to get bloody.

Offline Yiski

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 42
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: June 18, 2013, 01:56:22 pm »
--Saloon--

Althea and Yiski sat inside the saloon with roughly ten other defenders inside as well. They were to keep an eye on Yiski and prevent him from taking any unnecessary risks. Yiski sat at the bar with the radio on top the counter and sifting through all the reports throughout the city and fleet.

Yiski
"How are the batteries holding up?"

Frank
"Some of the damn squids knocked out a few batteries, but we've taken down about five. Fleet took another five. One or two transports are down."

Yiski
"Why so few?"

Frank
"Can't expect veteran marksman to use a gun they've never fired on the ground."

Yiski
"Understood. Just keep the lumberjacks on the transports."

Yiski fiddled with the dial to the Kyllo's frequency.

Yiski
"How are things?"

Lauren
"Better once we bring down the remaining squids. WHERE THE HELL IS MY GAT FIRE! Sorry, I got about two... make that one squid on me."

Yiski banged his fist into the counter. This made a defender or two jump. Yiski then picked up his new Blood Bolt. By the time Yiski got up, Althea and the other defenders were around him.

Defender
"Commander, you have orders to..."

Yiski brought around Blood Bolt assault mode and aimed it right at the defender who spoke. The other defenders brought their weapons on Yiski which then in turned caused Althea to turn her weapons on them. Yiski chuckled at the standoff.

Yiski
"So this is what the Council had planned, huh? 'Bout time their paranoia got to them."

Althea
"Commander?"

Ignoring Althea, Yiski continues talking.

Yiski
"There are what ten of you versus two of us. However, I have a full auto rifle and she's an Elite. Do you really want to try?"

Defender
"But our orders..."

Yiski
"If you want to live, you'll ignore whatever orders the Council gave you."

Hearing stories of Yiski's merits and abilities and knowing what and Elite can do, the Defenders lowered their weapons and stood at attention.

Defender
"Orders Commander?"

Yiski
"Get me to the nearest lumberjack battery."

With that, ten Defenders, an Elite, and a Commander were off to the Eastern Wall.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: June 18, 2013, 02:01:34 pm »
Sunderland had been working for hours nonstop on the Duck Pharaoh. He had spare time, and he knew that maximizing the ship's efficiency would be key to defeating the Baronies. He began working at reducing its weight, making it faster and nimbler. He replaced the engines with stronger, more durable ones to increase speed and resistance to moonshine.

By the time he was done, it was as quick and manoeuvrable as a Goldfish, and it hadn't lost any hull strength.

Still, Sunderland was unsatisfied. He could have all the turning in the world, but it wouldn't make his guns any stronger. Not only that, but it was far too subtle for his taste.

So he attached a huge iron spike to the front.

The ship had lost all of the extra turning speed it had gained and half of the extra top speed and acceleration. But as Sunderland replaced his front flak with a second gatling and equipped himself with moonshine, he couldn't help but feel satisfied.

Sunderland cranked the accelerator up, lifted into the sky, got his gunners into position, and awaited orders to enter battle.

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: June 18, 2013, 02:15:02 pm »
--Eastern wall--

The sound of gatling fire rung in Nidhogg's ears as he took cover just in time behind one of the wall's crenelations. As the squid passed right by the wall it killed two less fortunate soldiers, who fell at Nidhogg's feet. Nidhogg was pinned behind to the wall as the squid continued to fire it's gatling. The steady rattle of the gun continued for what seemed like an hour, until a loud BANG was heard, along with an explosion that passed over Nidhogg's head. He peered out from cover to see the wreckage of the squid fall below the wall as an allied goldfish soared over head.

Praise the skies

But his hope was diminished as he pulled out his spyglass and examined the Baronies' fleet, only to see a still approaching mass of ships of all kinds along with enough troop transport to carry an army, though still taking a lot of fire, was in no way surrendering any time soon, and growing closer by the minute.

This won't end remotely well

Offline Captain Lockheart

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 52
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: June 18, 2013, 02:22:22 pm »
Lockheart saw the ships move into action and swung his broadsides round. He also aimed the top deck hwacha towards the fleet. Silence.

Lockheart
"FIRE!!!!"

The ships Flaks, Mercuries and Hwachas fired at the fleet, the shots almost deafened Lockheart. He then walked to the radio, while his ship rocked therefrom guns shooting.

Lockheart to The Pointy End
"Your doing good evading those shots, we will try to provide cover fire. Lockheart out."

Lockheart Jumped down to the main deck and picked up his sniper, and aimed down the scope at the captain of a goldfish by the galleon. He held his breath and shot.
It hit, and the captain fell off the ship.

Lockheart
"Got one!. Now its your turn men! ha haa"

"Gods have mercy on us all"

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: June 18, 2013, 02:34:52 pm »
Sunderland

"I've had it with waiting back. I'm charging."

Sunderland cranked the throttle into maximum, began burning moonshine, and passed over the wall of Anvala. He saw a group of five Pyramidions approaching in a v-formation. He charged ahead at full speed, going straight into their gatling fire. He hit chute vent, ducked down below them, swooped up, and spun around with kerosene.

The Pyramidions ignored him and continued towards the city. Mistake number one. Their were flying in a V. Mistake number two.

Sunderland cranked his engines up again, and got at an angle relative to the Pyramidions. He kerosened to accelerate and position, then switched to moonshine.

The iron spike sliced through the first Pyramidion, heavily damaged the second one, and sent it into the third one, obliterating all three. The other two Pyramidions turned on Sunderland, but he was already on the hull armour, and wouldn't let them make a scratch. Unscathed, he returned into the city walls, with the two Pyras backing away to reform.

He stopped to listen to his radio, realizing that everybody had been shouting at him for a "completely suicidal charge".

Sunderland

"Three Pyramidions down"

Everybody else fell silent in disbelief.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:36:31 pm by N-Sunderland »

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: June 18, 2013, 02:45:18 pm »
--Eastern wall--

The squids' assault had eased up on the wall and left the troops there with some time to breath, which Nidhogg and Tristan spent observing the battle taking place.

Nidhogg
"Holy Flak! Did you see that?"

Tristan
"What?"

Nidhogg
"Some madman with a Pyramidion just took out three other Pyramidions."

Tristan pulled out his spyglass and took a closer look.

Tristan
"Well, at least we have the more skilled captains on our side."

Nidhogg
"The most suicidal captains also, it seems."

Tristan
"Let us hope that is not our downfall. And we should at no cost ever underestimate the enemy. Remember, in chess, players often lead with the pawns."

Nidhogg
"Or the knights."

Tristan
"Don't get technical."
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:51:00 pm by Nidhogg »

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: June 18, 2013, 03:00:58 pm »
--The Pointy End--
Lockheart's transmission cracks over the radio.
Verra laughs and shouts back into the device over the roar of rockets.
Captain Verra to Yeshan Dragon
"Ha! They shoot like drunks. Even so, it is appreciated!"

The mercuries continual thunder is almost rhythmic amid the chaos of other artillery. The shells arc towards the troop transports, embedding themselves in the armor and violently tossing the plates into the sky.
A curse comes from the helm as Verra picks up the radio again.

Radio
"Some idiot is charging full into them! Cover him if you can!"

Plasma watches with a combination of disbelief and horror as the Duck Pharaoh speeds towards the Pyramidions.
Then breaks through. He blinks. Pinches himself for a moment. Then stares in jealous indignation at the returning ship.

Plasma
"How in the world?"

The radio screeches.
Radio
"New orders. The Point Wing is to ignore the transports and other craft, disable the heavy weapons of the enemy."

Verra
"What? If those transports come through-"

Radio
"Those are your orders. From the Admiral."

Verra
"What? Zill would never-"

Radio
"Zill has been demoted Captain. You now serve the council directly."

Verra stares at the voice piece, mouth working, but unable to find sound.
A moment passes, and she slams down the device, scowling up from the helm. Her displeasure rakes the air as she shouts.
Verra
"New orders from the 'new' Admiral. The Point Wing is to separate from the fleet and attempt to flank the enemy... ill advised with their rush. If those transports get through..."

She twists the radio dials as if they had personally committed some great wrong against her.
Verra to But then it Broke
"Rear Admiral, we've been order to flank the fleet by our great new leader. Consider us out of action. We'll give you all the help we can from our new...'positions'"

She slams the throttle open. The Pointy End cuts high through the sky, swinging around in a wide, useless arc. The BreakPoint and CounterPoint follow. A few minutes (which feel like hours to everyone aboard) later, the ships grind to a halt. The percussion of the field guns begins again, disabling many of the weapons pointed towards the city, granting some small reprieve from bombardment.

Still the transports advanced.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 03:04:54 pm by Plasmarobo »

Offline BdrLineAzn

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 103
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: June 18, 2013, 03:13:07 pm »
--Dawn Break--

As the salvos from both sides continue, BdrLine has his glass out again and sees the ramming Pyra.

BdrLine
Sunderland, you crazy man. At least that's three more.

He then turns again to the east and sees another group of ships attacking while Zankif's group advance in more. He gos obis radio and hails him.

BdrLine
"How's it going you two?"

Zankif on his Pyramidion.
"Well we were attacking with sniper fire, but a galleon got in the way of the transport and blocking our shots, now it's aimed at my men."

Melin
"I see it, me and my other squid will go in and try to distract it. So far they are still holdin up."

BdrLine
"Flak, ok. *to Niko and Gang* We may need to move in, not that many ships are being shot down and sooner or later those guns will be aimed at us. *back to the radio* Melin Zankif, we are toning in."

Melin & Zankif
"Roger"

Gang from his helm
"Ahh, now for the fun, sniping is good, but up close and personal, I like it. *On his radio* All ships, we are going in to that hell hole, let the fun begin."

The ships then turn to face their front to the formation, and with a boost of kerosene, charge into it's wester flank.

Offline Yiski

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 42
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: June 18, 2013, 03:43:41 pm »
--Eastern Wall--

Yiski's appearance at the Eastern Wall surprised a few defenders and Frank.

Frank
"Should I ask?"

Yiski
"Just know I hate the Council."

Frank
"Don't we all?"

Yiski went over to a lumberjack and had the gunner move off. Yiski then had a crew load in lesmok rounds. Yiski calibrated the sights.

Yiski
"Give me a mark on a transport."

Frank
"Four kilos. Think you can..."

Yiski aimed and fired a full five-shot volley at the marked transport. Four shots landed and it ripped the balloon apart and the transport quickly fell to the ground.

Yiski
"Next!"

Frank
"Five degrees to the right and about four and a quarter."

Reloaded and aimed, Yiski fired another volley and took down another transport. After this next transport fell, the remaining transports seemed to start going in reverse. The remaining ships also started disengaging and pulling back beyond Anvala's mercuries range.

Frank
"This normal?"

Yiski
"Not at all."

Yiski went to a radio to call Zill.

Yiski
"Zill. I hope you're gettin' the same odd feelin' I am." *turning to Frank* "Have all the batteries hold and keep an eye on the fleet. If any of them happen to drift in range..."

Frank
"Make them regret it."

Yiski
"Lauren, Zill, how you all holdin' up?"

Lauren
"Kyllo took a few hits, but the other squids were more concerned with the batteries."

Yiski took out his scope and spied across the horizon. The Baronies' galleons did little in the battle. Their squids were almost done in and had about five left. However, much of the goldfishes, pyramidions, and transports were still afloat.

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: June 18, 2013, 03:55:49 pm »
--Eastern wall--

Tristan
"Very well done commander."

Tristan had walked over to Yiski's Lumberjack and was now examining the enemy fleet through his spyglass.

Tristan
"It appears they have retreated out of range. But the question remains, is it a retreat, or a tactical regrouping? Either way, should the time come for them to land their troops, I'll be ready, I assure you."