Author Topic: Hobbes' Handy Handbook  (Read 7835 times)

Offline SoldierHobbes

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
Hobbes' Handy Handbook
« on: June 06, 2015, 06:32:20 pm »
PLEASE NOTE, THIS GUIDE IS A WORK IN PROGRESS AND IS NOT CURRENTLY FINISHED

---INTRODUCTION---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSbXi11k6pk&feature=youtu.be

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Hobbes' Handy Handbook
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 08:13:30 pm »
My favorite intro guide so far. It's very well presented and I hope to see more, but there are some errors that you should clear up in the future.

It's very important to keep guns at full health all the time. If your gun is damaged even in the middle of shooting, get off and repair it. During reload you should not be on the gun. It's easy to get tunnel vision while on a gun so remind your crew to get off and repair.

Similarly, spotting a ship takes priority over shooting. Zooming in with spyglass isn't necessary and don't shoot before you spot. The gunner's main job is spotting.

The hades has an arm range of 150 meters and you want to stay outside that range to maximize damage. Greased ammo will reduce this range by 30 meters (and increase dps), and lesmok is the standard hades ammo to increase range with a flatter trajectory.

For the buff engi intro on pyra, the bottom deck buffs go main engine, turning engines, hull (if there's time). Then balloon and left gun, and lastly right gun. If there's extra time rebuff engines and prebuff hull. Don't use burst on the gat because it slows rate of fire by 15%. Use lesmok for long range, heavy clip for max mid range to maximize armor damage, and greased for close. Good mortar ammos are lesmok, burst/regular, greased. Charged mortar is a bit better than regular but it's best to bring a different ammo unless you're already bringing charged for another gun.

Ironically, the engineer is the best gunner by maximizing damage, repair power, and extra ship buffs. The main use of gunners is the extra ammo, however few guns need more than one ammo type. Buffed regular ammo usually does more damage than any other ammo, and it's best to use the optimum ammo with a buff rather than bringing unnecessary ammos. The spanner mallet buff engi is the most efficient gunner, and in my opinion gunners are only useful on mine launchers and sometimes lumberjacks. Don't bring a gunner unless you absolutely need the extra ammos, spanner mallet buff is the gunner replacement.

For the hwatcha use heavy clip for long range against heavy weapons, and burst for everything else. Buff burst is the best hwatcha loadout. Charged ammo is primarily for guns with 2 shots per clip (mercury, h flak, h carro).

Pilot stamina is best used to augment tools or for vertical mobility. Use it with kero or claw, or to go up and down. Use plenty of tools and stamina. The standard pilot loadout for everything except mobula is kero claw hydro. A hydro guide would be good because it's very useful and often misused. Only use hydro for an instant (on off) because it lasts 5 seconds.

Well done and keep up the good work.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 08:36:07 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline SoldierHobbes

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 01:12:02 am »
My favorite intro guide so far. It's very well presented and I hope to see more, but there are some errors that you should clear up in the future.

It's very important to keep guns at full health all the time. If your gun is damaged even in the middle of shooting, get off and repair it. During reload you should not be on the gun. It's easy to get tunnel vision while on a gun so remind your crew to get off and repair.

Similarly, spotting a ship takes priority over shooting. Zooming in with spyglass isn't necessary and don't shoot before you spot. The gunner's main job is spotting.

The hades has an arm range of 150 meters and you want to stay outside that range to maximize damage. Greased ammo will reduce this range by 30 meters (and increase dps), and lesmok is the standard hades ammo to increase range with a flatter trajectory.

For the buff engi intro on pyra, the bottom deck buffs go main engine, turning engines, hull (if there's time). Then balloon and left gun, and lastly right gun. If there's extra time rebuff engines and prebuff hull. Don't use burst on the gat because it slows rate of fire by 15%. Use lesmok for long range, heavy clip for max mid range to maximize armor damage, and greased for close. Good mortar ammos are lesmok, burst/regular, greased. Charged mortar is a bit better than regular but it's best to bring a different ammo unless you're already bringing charged for another gun.

Ironically, the engineer is the best gunner by maximizing damage, repair power, and extra ship buffs. The main use of gunners is the extra ammo, however few guns need more than one ammo type. Buffed regular ammo usually does more damage than any other ammo, and it's best to use the optimum ammo with a buff rather than bringing unnecessary ammos. The spanner mallet buff engi is the most efficient gunner, and in my opinion gunners are only useful on mine launchers and sometimes lumberjacks. Don't bring a gunner unless you absolutely need the extra ammos, spanner mallet buff is the gunner replacement.

For the hwatcha use heavy clip for long range against heavy weapons, and burst for everything else. Buff burst is the best hwatcha loadout. Charged ammo is primarily for guns with 2 shots per clip (mercury, h flak, h carro).

Pilot stamina is best used to augment tools or for vertical mobility. Use it with kero or claw, or to go up and down. Use plenty of tools and stamina. The standard pilot loadout for everything except mobula is kero claw hydro. A hydro guide would be good because it's very useful and often misused. Only use hydro for an instant (on off) because it lasts 5 seconds.

Well done and keep up the good work.

Awesome. Thanks for all the info. To any veteran players who happen to stumble across this thread, feel free to add any info you'd like. The more information the better after all. And again, hope you guys will like it.

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 04:18:27 am »
Hilarious Introduction, Awesome!  :D

Very Informative and straight to the point.

"Hindenburg on Steroids!" Best Description of ship battles ever!  :D

You mentioned that high level players are welcome to post advice on this thread but, I have none...
You should check out these videos for proof...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLR4ULn6PfA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_TDk0TrskE

If you wish, you can join my ship any time and I will try my best to give you advice as well as give you a laugh.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 04:23:44 am by The Mann »

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 04:20:30 am »
Have to agree, my favourite video tutorial for Guns so far too!
I'll just lend this offer of services here, you can PM me any questions at any time and I'll answer them as soon as I can, also BlackenedPies is a good guy to get advice from, very efficient at getting the most from his ships and crew.

I would suggest one thing which I feel would go well in your tutorials, the single most important part of this game  boils down to two words:
Communication and Co-operation.
The teams that win are the ones who can communicate and Co-operate, this is from the novice matches all the way to the competitive teams, even communication and cooperation at the minimal levels is going to perform better than a ship of silent crew who don't want to cooperate because of various reasons like "I'm not going engineer I am only a gunner" or "No I don't want to shoot the guns because I only fix things" or "No I wont wait for you to respawn, I can pawn both enemy ships solo"...

I'm sire you'll come across all of this in your travels, among the gems who do work together as well. :)

I also want to ask one thing about your tutorials, partly because of advice Blackened has given you:
Who is your target audience, new players who only want to learn the basics, or new players who want to learn the most efficient stractics (strategies and tactics)

The reason it makes a difference is, a lot of new players like to play as gunner, even if they're only using one ammo type, they can feel insulted by being asked to go engineer, maybe its something from the FPS scene Guns can attract, meaning selling the most efficient and best strategies may not always work out as it should...

But then again if you sell it right it could work. :)

I will likely post more later when I get some time. :)

Edit: Also the introduction was very fitting!

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 04:49:25 pm »
Another point: Don't be scared to add into tutorials about game modes and maps!

The basics of death match, the basics of King of the hill and the basics of Crazy king. :)