Author Topic: 4 VS 4 Balloons Needs To Be Gone  (Read 32176 times)

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
Re: 4 VS 4 Balloons Needs To Be Gone
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2015, 01:26:26 pm »
Well some time ago I was suggesting some hard game-time limit, as in Hephaestus Challenge (30 min). Make it 40-45 minutes and whoever had bigger score then - won.

Nobody wants an hour-long match. That's why we hated CK.

Are you speaking ill of my baby? old crazy king was some awesome stuff!

it was the best, most tactic heavy game mode ever.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2015, 03:59:17 pm »
There should be, just go in and uncheck it.

For number of ships its a selection, not a check

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2015, 04:10:18 pm »
Semantics. I usually play with clan, or solo into a pub, so I keep the thing open.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2015, 05:17:32 pm »
well 4 v 4 is to my advantage as I get my 1km kills on 4 v 4.

alas scrub 4 v 4 lobbies never snipe... even if I tell them why its a good idea.

(I don't feel bad in the slightest for sniping noobs to pieces in sniper maps as a result)

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2015, 06:42:35 pm »
Semantics. I usually play with clan, or solo into a pub, so I keep the thing open.

No it is not semantics as its a very real effect. There is a massive gulf of difference between 4v4s and the 2v2s/3v3s. I want matchmaker to be able to allow 2s and 3s but exclude 4s. Right now the options are either all or just one.

Offline Carn

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2015, 07:18:25 pm »

No it is not semantics as its a very real effect. There is a massive gulf of difference between 4v4s and the 2v2s/3v3s. I want matchmaker to be able to allow 2s and 3s but exclude 4s. Right now the options are either all or just one.
No, I meant the selection vs check part. And I thought there were, my bad.

Offline MagKel

• Salutes: 53
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood of GOIO
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2015, 07:05:49 am »
4 v 4 are possibly the best games you can play on GOIO and they are a great way for novice players to understand some mechanics that in a 2v2 would be completely lost.

In 2 v 2 the "stomping" is very common and situations of 2 v 1 are the norm: Unless you know what you are doing, and the other captain as well, the game will spiral into a meatgrinder where the team that loses the first ship is going to feed the opposing team meat for the grinder until the game is over.

in 3 v 3 things are slightly more balanced because the loss of a teammate doesn't place you alone against two enemies, with the only option to run back to your spawn. it is also the game mode where support ships such as the Goldfish, Squid and Galleon should appear (they do in 2v2 of course, i do it myself a lot, but they are conceptually wrong) to add a layer of complexity to the usual brawl.

In 4 v 4 the lobby time, team chat and C chat shine because you can set up the soon to be engagement from a strategic perspective. For a novice it is the first time they can see the purpose of builds and weapons rarely used in the previous game modes. Even previously un-cooperative players felt the trill of the battle in the thick of a 4v4 brawl at the center of Dunes or while supporting the front line from the deck of a mobula, disabling an enemy someone else is going to kill. In 4v4 you feel part of a team and exploit all the content of GOIO while in smaller matches the weight of success is all about individual fights ship-to-ship

Offline Dr Brobotnik

• Salutes: 9
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2015, 06:23:23 pm »
So lock novices out of 4v4. Personally I like 4v4 matches. They are infinitely more interesting then 2v2. But I can understand your point. However unless they are piloting, I don't see as much of an issue.

This is not a good idea. A first rule of que-based gameplay is to make it as accessible as possible - locking new players out of a game mode would add waiting time to the que for no acceptable reason.
I think we're all just gonna have to live with that public games can go as bad as they can go good, regardless of the game type. I can definetly understand if you don't have enough buddies to organize a 4v4 - lord know that I don't. And I agree that something should be done about it. But denying people of any experience level a part of content is not the right way.

Offline Carn

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2015, 06:31:05 pm »
It was just an idea. Not one that I actually think would be good. Maybe lock novices from piloting in a normal match would be better.

Offline Dr Brobotnik

• Salutes: 9
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2015, 07:08:00 pm »
It was just an idea. Not one that I actually think would be good. Maybe lock novices from piloting in a normal match would be better.

Now this I agree with - I've had similar ideas myself. Captains calls the shots, it is that simple. It's a post of experience.
Then again, we may be severly undermanned on captains.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2015, 08:43:34 pm »
I definitely suggested to muse that novice pilots shouldnt be allowed to play cp...
and definitely not crazy king.

Its just constantly embarrassing when they play and fly their precious noob galleon... and even if they did have a ship that can move... they dont know to how actually use that kindergarten education to seek out points. I mean they can barely play death match...

however... pilots at about lvl 10+ has much more competence and showing the beginnings of tactical thinking. A lvl 10 pilot understands why they lost a cp. A novice pilot does not.

Lets face it. If I'm using novice pilots to grind point captures (and cp wins) because i know I'm basically gonna get the points unopposed.... there's definitely a flaw in the system.

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2015, 09:59:19 am »
I definitely suggested to muse that novice pilots shouldnt be allowed to play cp...
and definitely not crazy king.

Its just constantly embarrassing when they play and fly their precious noob galleon... and even if they did have a ship that can move... they dont know to how actually use that kindergarten education to seek out points. I mean they can barely play death match...

however... pilots at about lvl 10+ has much more competence and showing the beginnings of tactical thinking. A lvl 10 pilot understands why they lost a cp. A novice pilot does not.

Lets face it. If I'm using novice pilots to grind point captures (and cp wins) because i know I'm basically gonna get the points unopposed.... there's definitely a flaw in the system.

I don't think banning them is the answer, perhaps a "Small King" (2v2 crazy king) for novices may be good so that they can practice in smaller number.

Apart from this, its nice to see new players (albeit Newbies) playing in big games. I normally try to help them by telling them to read the objectives under the map. that way, they have a slight understanding.

On the other hand, I was on a newbies ship on King of the Flayed Hills the other day with a friend. We both tried to advise the captain but they constantly ignored us and treated the game as a Death Match. This lack of understanding may be the cause of confusion.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2015, 10:09:47 am »
Weren't people in novice matches limited to only Battle on the Dunes and Fight over Firnfeld, DM style?

I think novices should be able to play King of the Hill/Capture Point as it introduces a mechanic which so many inexperienced players don't seem to know anything of. Once they havethat down, they can actually be somewhat helpful in crazy king, even on the scale of 4v4.

A definite problem of 4v4 is the lack of variety. Red Spulcher is basically Battle on the Dunes and only rarely does anybody try to sneak up on somebody on either of those two maps. I like the idea of Firnfeld 4v4 where the spawns are split in two on the north and 2 on the south, or something, so the battles at least don't start in the middle. People might not find each other though.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2015, 10:30:43 am »
Novice matches allow 2v2 on dunes and fjords DM, and 3v3 DM Dunes, Fjords and Water Hazard.
No CP no CK.

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2015, 10:46:37 am »
Novice matches allow 2v2 on dunes and fjords DM, and 3v3 DM Dunes, Fjords and Water Hazard.
No CP no CK.

This, may therefore be the problem