Author Topic: Overheating weapons, eh?  (Read 21628 times)

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Re: Overheating weapons, eh?
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2015, 08:47:54 am »
The noise would also help engineers know when a gun is overheated.

Offline Extirminator

• Salutes: 56
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2015, 09:11:45 am »
The noise would also help engineers know when a gun is overheated.

You already know when a gun is overheated when you see the 1 flame flashing indicator turn into 3 flames. That signifies when the component has 8 or more stacks.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2015, 09:17:36 am »
Extirminator what do you think about increasing fire multiplier to components ex .5?

Offline Extirminator

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2015, 10:11:16 am »
Extirminator what do you think about increasing fire multiplier to components ex .5?

Requires too many reworks like changing the damage values of all tools like hydrogen, chute vent, tar barrel, phoenix claw, moonshine and kerosine. That's because they all deal base fire damage and then applied to the component with its modifier.

The solution of having the fire do more damage to guns so they die faster and are rebuilt faster than just waiting for it to die is a pretty bad solution. Because you are just making it more unbearable for gunners dealing with low values of fire, that would mean the gun will not be overheated but will just be getting damaged constantly until an engineer is able to extinguish it. With extreme cases of 7 stacks on guns, with 0.5 modifier you will get 25% of your gun's HP knocked out before you could repair it with a wrench again(considering you can't afford having one of your ammos heatsink) - severely reducing you DPS and rotation speed. Same with engines, if you managed to get 20 stacks on your engines due to having priorities like the armor or the balloon, and you have a pipe wrench, it will be impossible to out-repair and just barely enough to out-repair with a mallet. Throw into the equation a usage of helm tools and you say goodbye to your engines.
It would simply be too game-impacting to change the multiplier.

The problem discussed is getting kicked off the gun fast, and while reload your gun gets enough fires to not matter - even if heatsink extinguishes 3 stacks. I actually don't see it as a problem, because the recent change to flamer(the main source of fire) has nerfed it quite a bit. Only danger is greased flamer directly aimed at the gun - and if that is happening, you either haven't done your job of disabling the flamer, the engineer haven't done the job of chem spraying your gun or your pilot haven't done his job of avoiding the flamer.

Although, if you were to ask me for a solution I would go with one that was already proposed here I believe, in which the second you have heatsink attempting to be loaded into the gun, your gun will be immune to fire, and when the ammo is successfully loaded it will extinguish 3 stacks of fire(to prevent people from switching between heatsink and non heatsink to quickly extinguish 3 stacks during reloads.). I also believe that during the attempted reload, having heatsink in shouldn't be a complete immunity but more like a percentage decrease in ignition(for exaple, 50% less ignition chance) so to not make it completely OP.
This way heatsink could have an added benefit to be taken by gunners to have "active" while reloads to prevent a lot of stacks from igniting. Of course they will have to be on the gun at the end of the reload it they wanna put in any other ammo type other than heatsink in(like it was before with normal rounds).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 10:16:18 am by Extirminator »

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2015, 10:57:32 am »
I said 'help'. I know about the flame icons, as do most vets. Most newer players do not. Stop thinking end game. End game does not matter as much as intro.

Offline Koali

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2015, 11:04:07 am »
I said 'help'. I know about the flame icons, as do most vets. Most newer players do not. Stop thinking end game. End game does not matter as much as intro.

It's like an essay, or perhaps even a good book: It doesn't matter what's in the middle, it has to have a good HOOK.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2015, 11:48:57 am »

most newer players dont even know how to change tools... screw newer players with this stuff in mind. the fire icon change should be noticable by any new person with any level of intelligence.

1 fire icon not so bad.

3!? thats pretty bad!

its not exactly the formula for the theory of relativity here.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2015, 11:51:36 am »
On the one hand, Richard is right, often the end game gets priority over early game, but Max does bring a valid point... New players who have not learnt/don't want to learn how to actually play the game can make keeping mechanics for them in mind difficult.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2015, 12:16:08 pm »
Regarding the gun overheating during reload problem: How about when the Heatsink clip finishes, the fire immunity stays until the reload finishes and the current ammo type is not Heatsink anymore? This way a gunner can keep his gun fire immune for an infinite amount of time, if that is what is good.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2015, 01:20:29 pm »
^
I think that's a better solution than immunity during first reload.

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2015, 01:32:19 pm »
Regarding the gun overheating during reload problem: How about when the Heatsink clip finishes, the fire immunity stays until the reload finishes and the current ammo type is not Heatsink anymore? This way a gunner can keep his gun fire immune for an infinite amount of time, if that is what is good.

Even though I'm rather against changing anything - this seems to be a fair and resonable idea. ^^

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2015, 05:32:20 am »
ok this might be crazy... but...

what about... setting everything on fire?

Offline Koali

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2015, 09:22:00 am »
How about oven mitts/pot holders?

Offline Dr Brobotnik

• Salutes: 9
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2015, 06:29:44 pm »
What I get out of this is that you want to make gunners more relevant. I agree, they need to be brought up to par.
BUT, adding a mechanic that would make what is already a tough job for engineers even more difficult is not, in my opinion, the right way to do it.