Author Topic: Airship advice  (Read 18078 times)

Offline Arrow Windwhistler

• Salutes: 3
    • [CPNX]
    • View Profile
Airship advice
« on: May 30, 2015, 11:09:47 pm »
I'm not bad with flying the Junkers, Goldfish, and Pyramidion after getting out of the novice matches, but I'm really wanting to start branching out into other ships, particularly the Squid, Spire, and Mobula. That said I'm having issues thinking about how to best fly and arm them. I'm looking for suggestions

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
Re: Airship advice
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 11:14:14 pm »
Gatling and banshee are good on the front and side of the squid. Plenty of people put mine launchers and carronades on the back. In a squid your best defense is speed and mobility.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 11:34:00 pm »
As long as you're not a complete tool (which I don't get at all from your post), most high level players love a newer player that is interested in learning the game and improving. Generally if you see a 45 pilot with a lot of matches, you can bet they'll be more than willing to show you a thing or two if you ask the right questions

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 11:46:52 pm »
I HAVE A STEAM GUIDE!!! :O

(Spire Handbuuk)

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 01:42:01 am »
Mobula, slot 3, Hades and on the lower decks have Artemis on both sides, on the upper decks have flame throwers.
Gunner takes centre gun, one engineer takes left side, other engineer takes right side, this was a mobula build I used to use, its simple and basic, give your engineers Burst ammo and try that mobula build for a while, it'll give a feel of flying a mid-long range vehicle. There are hundreds of ways to arm your ships and experimenting never hurts, that said reading forum guides always pays off :)

Pyramidion: Hades and Artemis, or Hades Flak for mid range, Gatling and Artemis for close range..

Squid, Gatling banshee (rear mine for support) is good quite lethal. Carronade with a flame thrower if you have crew (not AI) get your carro.gunner to target balloon. (AI will shoot carronade at hull, making the carronade much weaker)

Spire, see suggested guide above by craft :)

Don't be put off by your current experiences, Goldfish, Junker and Pyramidion all have their merits.
 :)

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 01:44:53 am »
Success mostly depends on weapons and piloting. There are many good gun combos.

Kerosene, phoenix claw, and hydrogen is the standard pilot loadout for all ships except mobula. Mobulas don't need phoenix claw and substitute for drogue chute (often used on spire too). Mobulas have slow turn acceleration so they start turning slow, but have good turn speed and high turn momentum. Getting used to turning is necessary so practice in practice first. Mobulas are a floating gun platform and usually have long range guns, so sharp turns are mainly for close range defense.

Stamina helps turning and is great for moving up and down- what mobula is best at. Mobula has excellent vertical mobility, but this means they fall fast when balloon is broken. This can be good for escaping, but hitting ground is death. I always bring drogue chute and hydrogen. Drogue chute also reduces impact damage by 25% just like impact bumpers. Note that hydro lasts 5 seconds so don't use it longer than an instant. Tap on off and hold up. Use stamina!!

Moving up or down is great for dodging and tanking. Use plenty of kerosene and never be afraid to use it. Burn burn burn and judge repairs, tell your crew what to do because they can't see well. The most important pilot skill is using tools and the most important captain skill is communication.
If your balloon is about to break, turn drogue on slightly before and hydro immediately when it's rebuilt if necessary. Mobulas are light and maneuverable (albeit slow) and can easily dodge other ships. It's my favorite ship to fly.
Mobulas usually have a set of long range guns and a short range option if necessary. Merc double artemis is common for long range, and carronade flame for close.

My standard mobula is merc top, flak gat left, mine artemis right. Hull engi (left) brings lesmok spanner mallet extinguisher and uses lesmok for long range on flak and gat (and regular when in range). Balloon engi brings burst spanner mallet chem with burst for artemis. The gunner brings charged for merc, heatsink for light flak, and charged heatsink lochnagar for mine launcher.

I bring an extinguisher because the pilot can touch the top gun by jumping. The hull has extinguisher and balloon has chem. There's enough time to chem balloon during the artemis reload (6.5 seconds) and is good because balloons are vulnerable to fire.

Crew start on merc flak art for long range and change position based on the enemy and position. They may be on merc gat art, flak gat art, or mine gat art. The gunner brings ammo for all 3 guns, charged is the best for merc, heatsink is great on flak, and charged heatsink lochnagar allows shooting mines at 3 ranges. If there is time, I load incendiary into mine to start with.

I use 3 other mobulas. One is the same but with a spanner mallet buff engi on merc and flare instead of mine launcher, another has hades with spanner mallet buff lesmok with the flak and artemis positions swapped, and the last uses a mine launcher with a gunner and similar loadout to the hades mob. The hades and mine have burst for the left artemis gat, and burst or heatsink for the bottom right light flak. Top right has a gat on hades loadout and a hades on the mine loadout. The purpose of having the spanner mallet buff engi on the hades and merc is to maximize damage and repairs.

Experiment and have fun. Change your key bindings because you can't fly with the standard keys. Ideally you need to be able to use all movement, throttle, number, and voice keys simultaneously with no overlap. I use the mouse buttons for throttle and shift/control for voice. My 1234 is Alt mouse3 mouse4 Q, stamina is middle mouse. C is map, X is Tab, and F is captain spot.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 02:16:19 am by BlackenedPies »

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 02:31:47 am »
Spires are my second favorite to fly and possibly my favorite overall.

Squids aren't hard to fly but need good crewing. Repairing engines on a squid requires mastering engine jumps- going to the sides leading to the bottom engines, running and jumping up at the last point before the down slope, hit the top engine and finish with the bottom. Squids are weak to engine disable especially from burst hwatcha.

I have the main engi bring spanner mallet chem and the other brings wrench buff extinguisher- they are in charge of buffing balloon and top two engines (bottom engines when there's time). The Main brings chem for balloon and hull, and the buff brings extinguisher mostly for engines (chem reduces repairs per second and isn't usually needed on engines). The buff engi is mainly in charge of the right two engines and Main is in charge of left. The buff engi shoots the right side gun and on reload either buffs the gun or repairs right engines.

When the gunner (or spanner mallet buff) isn't shooting they mainly repair top engines, balloon, and sometimes hull. Balloon buff is usually the top buff priority and is a great asset. Use plenty of tools and stamina. The standard loadout of kero claw hydro works well, but many pilots switch phoenix claw for another tool like drogue chute, chute vent, or tar. As pilot you need to be able to immediately switch between full forwards and full back. Don't forget to burn and stamina when necessary.

3000 matches ago I had a 43 match winstreak in a double flame squid with all AI (named the AI ONLY PLEASE). If they don't use chem right then they have no chance and it's the easiest ship. I have since stopped using the flamethrower altogether.

There are two types of squids: attack squids and disable squids. The classic disable loadout is carronade flame. Gat banshee is an effective attack loadout. I recommend starting with a disable squid.

My favorite loadout is mine carro mine/flare. Gunner brings lesmok incendiary loch for mine, Main engi brings heavy clip to start off with on carro, and buff engi brings greased for closer range carro. I regularly bring this on crazy king maps.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 03:05:38 am by BlackenedPies »

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 03:27:14 am »
Squid...Learn hit n run and circle strafing with Gat/Banshee. Then move up to Gat/Mortar. But you must learn evasion skills. Change pilot tools to chute, hydro, and kero. Learn to anticipate fire and evade before it starts. The life of your ship is more important than anything else, even winning. Prioritize this. Only when you can 1v1 without dying can you start prioritizing your ally's life.

Also repair detail changes when you master this. Engines > Balloon > Hull > guns.

I don't fly disable squids for simple reasons...they are too exposed and I tear them to pieces like nothing when I hunt them. Disable squid pilots never learn evasion skills, they just sit there blending and flaming ships down. If you want true skills that transfer to all vessels, fly Attack Squids. High speed, high evasion, lots of keyboard and mouse work. It takes time to learn it but when you do, you never fly any ship the same again.

You want to know the difference between a good squid pilot and a bad one? The bad one is the one falling apart in your wake after you cut them in half for sitting there thinking their flamer would stop your gat.

Offline Megabear

• Salutes: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 05:40:19 pm »
I flew for the first time.  It was a Spire.  I went the other way and got behind enemies.  Asked everyone to shoot.  Rotated ship as needed.  The ship didn't need a good pilot.  Perfect.  Burned my buddy's ship down.  It's funny because, he's usually my pilot that I crew with.  Was awesome.  Then he came at me for revenge.  He was also using a Spire.  We began driving forward each other.  Neither of us were going to move.  Guns blazing.  Then my laptop overheated and shut off.  I feel like I missed the NBA play off.  Was still awesome. 

I come in peace.

Offline Mr.Bando

• [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 06:02:44 am »
Know your ships and push their strengths to their limits.

Spires have easily accessible guns with shared arcs where you can dish out brutal amounts of firepower on a single target. They also turn fast, making them good for brawling.

Squids got speed, speed and more speed. Fast lateral movements, fast turning and decent ascend/descend speed. That makes them good for hit and runs, kiting and harassing slower ships.

Mobulas have decent firepower where many arcs are shared on a platform that possess the best vertical movement speed out of all ships available. That can make them quite dodgy and open up unorthodox methods of attack and evasion
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 06:17:29 am by Mr.Bando »

Offline Mr.Bando

• [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 07:54:57 am »
But what is a ship without their weaknesses? Without pointing obvious ones such as being ambushed from behind or taking a face-full of hwatcha.

Spires, despite their recent health buff, are still rather fragile. They don't have the speed to avoid the damage or the health and armour to soak much of it either. That isn't helped by their tall profile making it more forgiving for attackers firing gravity-affected projectiles at them. It also limits their vertical movement options being harder to fly/evade over obstacles and threats.

Squids have to pay a price for their speed with low armour and durability. They are nothing but burning debris without their speed so beware moonshine overdose, being caught in a cloud of tar or being caught in a hwatcha barrage.

Mobulas are particularly vulnerable to losing balloon more than most ships. Not only do they lose their main strength of controlling vertical spacing between themselves and their opponent, more hull surface area is exposed to the enemy when they gain a height advantage over you. This is not helped by the restricted layout of the ship that separate their vital hull and balloon hardpoints and keeping your engineers from helping each other repair. Lumberjacks or carronades coming from your below behind or below sidewards blindspots are particularly deadly. I have not mentioned minotaurs, but they annoy Mobulas a lot.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 08:05:24 am by Mr.Bando »

Offline Koali

• Salutes: 56
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 10:48:31 am »
Aren't Squids kinda tanky because of Muse's "balance" patches?

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 11:25:05 am »
Aren't Squids kinda tanky because of Muse's "balance" patches?

Squids have always been tanky, but yeah, they're even tankier now.  They have tons of health, and the low armor actually makes them tankier because it's so quick to rebuild (4 spanner hits)

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 03:26:21 pm »
Squids are hard to kill because if you just try to kill them without disabling, they will outmaneuver you, junkers are like that too. It's kind of the opposite of a pyramidion, if you try to flat out kill it pyra crumbles easily, but it's hard to disable.

also why are we "putting" random "words" in quotation marks?

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 03:41:13 pm »
Sarcasm I think.