Author Topic: Realism Battles  (Read 17951 times)

Offline David Dire

• Salutes: 62
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
Realism Battles
« on: May 26, 2015, 12:32:41 pm »
What if we had a gamemode where everything was realistic? No Stamina, pilot tools which make no sense, Repair rate of components drops dramatically every time it is repaired and Hull Armour can only be rebuilt, Ships rise very slowly and drop fast. No UI, you slide on your ship when it moves... Thoughts? I'd actually find it really fun.

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
Re: Realism Battles
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 12:38:36 pm »
If GOIO were realistic, none of the ships could fly.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 12:46:23 pm »

Salute o7

Offline David Dire

• [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 02:04:09 pm »

Salute o7

I've already stated that multiple times before. This is just a suggestion to make it as realistic as possible.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 02:39:24 pm »

Salute o7

I've already stated that multiple times before. This is just a suggestion to make it as realistic as possible.

I know, it's the sheer irony

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 03:24:52 pm »
Even if they could fly, it wouldn't be fun. It would literally be 1 hit kill turret mode in the sky. All the ships would move like beached whales, some even more so. Gun impacts would either tear them apart in 1 hit or kill most of the crew in 1 hit.

It isn't a glamorous fun experience you'd think. This is the way the game was leaning for the last 2 years and we saw what that brought us...tons of sniper meta. Well, until Muse nerfed it to hell and then it became disable meta. Both had the same principle tho. The old sniper meta would literally disable ships from long range. Cept it would also slowly widdle away. Competitive teams just had to make sure they stayed at long range or have a kill side if they came into cqc range. Course by then the sniper side would have already weaked it greatly.

The problem the Realism people have is they have a romanticized idea of what realism in GOIO would be. In actual practice, it would make for one heck of a shitty game.

And I didn't even get into the concept of realistic wind in GOIO. Crosswinds, thermals, downdrafts....when you add realistic environment into the mix, it makes it even worse. Course it would stop people ever asking about boarding. Try to lock 2 ships in the air to board each other, with winds...yeah, not ever happening.

Oh, then there are realistic birds flying into engines and bringing down ships left and right.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 03:26:24 pm by Gilder Unfettered »

Offline Sarabelle Marlowe

• Salutes: 25
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 05:07:47 pm »
Well, I seem to recall a Blackadder episode featuring the flight pilot term "the 20 minuters". Being the average life expectancy for a pilot was 20 minutes...

No respawns...

Or when crashing into terrain is end game due to how long it would take to get in the air again (if you could).

Or if someone falls off the ship, you loose a crew member...

Stamina would have to be used to combat air sickness...or the weather like being cold and wet or heat exhaustion...

Or the huge amount of fuel that would need to be carried on board...which would catch fire at the slightest look...

Eh, I prefer my games to be games.

Offline David Dire

• [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 05:12:15 pm »
Well, I seem to recall a Blackadder episode featuring the flight pilot term "the 20 minuters". Being the average life expectancy for a pilot was 20 minutes...

No respawns...

Or when crashing into terrain is end game due to how long it would take to get in the air again (if you could).

Stamina would have to be used to combat air sickness...or the weather like being cold and wet or heat exhaustion...

Or the huge amount of fuel that would need to be carried on board...which would catch fire at the slightest look...

You literally can tell this game is unrealistic in the first few seconds of the trailer.

I've stated this before.

It's a more realistic setting. Not an entirely new game.

Thanks for the useless comment.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 07:11:01 pm »
Play 4v4 until you hit the Molasses Bug. That gives you most of what you are asking. :)

Offline Koali

• Salutes: 56
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 08:03:07 pm »

No respawns...

You literally can tell this game is unrealistic in the first few seconds of the trailer.

I've stated this before.

It's a more realistic setting. Not an entirely new game.

Thanks for the useless comment.

David... I've been in the situation you're in now. We brought up ideas that we thought would be cool, which were then promptly shot down.

In both situations I can pretty much say that we were asking for it.

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 08:20:16 pm »
Whoooa, someone needs a bit of chemspray, getting a little heated there.

And kindly sir, considering you are asking for a more realistic setting for an unrealistic game, no comment regarding real events qualifies as useless, especially when you compare to other comments that are on par (no comment about birds flying in engines, or the ships not even taking off in the first place* edit, ah there was one about the ships not taking off. Bird thing though, gilder made me smile).

As far as an entirely different game, you were the one suggesting taking out and changing features and mechanics. Its a steam punk/diesel punk setting. The genre itself isn't supposed to make realistic sense, that's part of the allure.

I think what you mean is a more "hardcore" version of the game, rather then "realistic". Because if you ask for "realistic" then you shall get what you asked, hence the many comments besides my own as such.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 08:30:40 pm by Sarabelle Marlowe »

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 09:09:38 pm »
OOooOOoooooo! That seals it. Chemspray emote needed.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 03:10:04 pm »
Speaking of realism, even if the ships could fly their turning engines are set so far back from their center of mass that it would be very hard to turn them. I doubt muse is adding torque at the engine's location, but rather where it would cause the ship to fly the most intuitively.

Offline Koali

• Salutes: 56
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 03:48:21 pm »
Actually, I've been working on building a Goldfish in Besiege, which has some interesting physics quirks but is usually pretty good.

The turning engines are at the back, as expected, and rather far from the center of mass.

It turns just fine.

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 04:21:39 pm »
Well, goldfish is one of the few if given a bigger balloon could work. But then you have the Spire, and the mobby would just flip over (I find the thought of flight tests rather amusing)

If going for more "realism" then would friendly fire be turned on for all guns? Now that's a chilling thought.