Author Topic: Some suggestions  (Read 61965 times)

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
Re: Some suggestions
« Reply #90 on: June 28, 2015, 02:54:52 am »
Too much hassle for a system which can, most of the time be overcome with simple comms. Though I do know how annoying it can be with flare gun camping trolls and that guy who camps the front gun without repairing it or the engineers that do no repairs..
However these guys normally only stay on the same ship for a match, then you can ditch them.

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 28, 2015, 12:38:11 pm »
Its not a horribly common occurrence, but it is a significant problem when it does happen.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2015, 03:46:01 pm »
Marking a gun seems like an unnecessarily complicated thing - and I still don't see why gunner would mark a gun and not an engineer.  Everyone having access to their own gun is just as important regardless of class.  Better just to have everyone take priority on whatever gun they are on and not have any crew be able to override it.

Offline Carn

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 28, 2015, 03:53:24 pm »
And when the noob engie is camping on the main gun of a goldfish? What then? The gunner is rendered almost useless and that's one a severe drawback on repair power. And the odds of the noob engie actually landing a shot, are not high.

Offline sparklerfish

• [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2015, 06:55:54 pm »
Then you talk to them, tell them to get off the gun, explain what they should be doing.... or report them for trolling.  We could keep coming up with specific scenarios in which a gunner or an engineer has a bigger right to such-and-such gun, but there's still no compelling reason to have any crew member force any other crew member off a gun.

Offline Carn

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 28, 2015, 06:57:24 pm »
Its an anti-trolling measure. If the crew is a mature one that communicates, then it won't be needed.

Offline sparklerfish

• [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2015, 07:02:30 pm »
Right, but a gunner kicking people off of guns can also abuse that to troll.  Either way you have the possibility of trolling - it's probably best off with everyone on an equal playing field rather than giving one class that power.

Offline Carn

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2015, 07:09:46 pm »
And the aforementioned pilots kicking other classes off the helm? Its just a system so other classes won't interfere with another classes function.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 28, 2015, 07:15:29 pm »
You can reduce the problem by giving them a gun to shoot, they don't want full time engi duty. If they don't want to listen tell them to please leave in chat, it usually works. For some reason many players can't hear so ask if they can hear in chat.

Be friendly and tell them what to do and your current situation. Being silent and yelling when they screw up isn't fun.  Make them a part of the ship and they'll be more willing to listen.

Captain priority on helm is different and I don't think gunner priority on guns is necessary, but I have no strong opinions.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 07:24:00 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline Koali

• Salutes: 56
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 28, 2015, 07:19:08 pm »
It helps to have some idle chatter when not directly fighting the enemy.

That way, the crew gets friendlier and becomes more willing to listen.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #100 on: June 28, 2015, 08:06:42 pm »
You can reduce the problem by giving them a gun to shoot, they don't want full time engi duty. If they don't want to listen tell them to please leave in chat, it usually works. For some reason many players can't hear so ask if they can hear in chat.

Be friendly and tell them what to do and your current situation. Being silent and yelling when they screw up isn't fun.  Make them a part of the ship and they'll be more willing to listen.

Captain priority on helm is different and I don't think gunner priority on guns is necessary, but I have no strong opinions.
This ^

Offline sparklerfish

• [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 28, 2015, 08:21:51 pm »
And the aforementioned pilots kicking other classes off the helm? Its just a system so other classes won't interfere with another classes function.

Engineer's function isn't just to fix and never shoot, though.  Manning a gun is part of the class's function.  Whereas piloting is not.

Also, yes, this.

Offline Carn

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 28, 2015, 08:41:56 pm »
I'm not saying they should never be on a gun. But when they are on the gun that the gunner should be using? And they refuse to get off, or communicate in any way?

Offline sparklerfish

• [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 28, 2015, 09:27:24 pm »
You could say the exact same thing about a gunner on a gun an engineer is supposed to be on.  It's not a class-specific problem.  It's a people-who-suck-at-communicating problem.

Offline Carn

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 28, 2015, 09:35:25 pm »
Oh, I'm not denying its a people issue. But as most people run two engies and one gunner on a ship, the odds are higher that an engie will be on a gun meant for a gunner.