Author Topic: So what have I missed?  (Read 15094 times)

Offline LordFunPants

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 49
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
So what have I missed?
« on: May 22, 2015, 02:48:39 pm »
Huh, it’s been like a year and a half now I think since I last worked at muse, and somehow they've managed not take away my fancy green name away yet (don’t you dare). Long story short I’ve been hoping to come back officially into the fray of things but it doesn’t seem like it’ll happen anytime soon, but I’ve been seeing all kind of talk lately of Guns of Icarus and couldn’t help but drop by and say hi and see how the community has grown since then.

So with that said, what have I missed?  feel free to ask what ever, just don’t necessarily always expect a serious reply :P I know I made a ton of promises to some of you guys years ago that I really really wish I could have gotten to before leaving, but what can you do. (desktop wallpapers, hair styles, a gun or two, and maybe even a ship)

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
Re: So what have I missed?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 03:47:26 pm »
Fun factor returned 2 patches ago. Sadly it's constrained under the iron boot of matchmaker.

COOP is pretty good tho. Kinda in limbo waiting for that.

Ultimately you missed a lot of the painful time where the game got much worse before it got better.

Offline LordFunPants

• Muse Games
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 04:08:34 pm »
That's definitely somewhat depressing to hear @_@ I honestly haven't really played much since I left, since most of my game time used to be testing and such.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 04:23:37 pm »
Well hop in and play it sometime. You'll see right away.

Oh, don't fly the Pyra if you want to live more than 10 seconds. The ships are now made out of used toilet paper and remain in the air only because they are like ghosts of their former glory and cannot pass on until they've been officially obliterated. So thus this game has turned into ghostbusters and it has been my new goal to put them down like the vermin they are :D.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 05:37:20 pm »
It is not all that bad. AWKM's constant tinkering has made some builds weaker and some builds stronger. The spire is sitting pretty if you have a good crew, and barely manageable if you have a bad one. The Stamina system has been a major buff to the manticore. Gat/Morter Pyras are not as powerful due to the Nerfs Gilder so eloquently pointed out. Also the Artimis has been toned back so junker artemis trifectas no longer terrorize the sky. The new Minotaur is a bit of a joke as it has slightly more utility than a harpoon but costs a heavy weapon's slot. I can't really tell if there is a dominant meta at the moment, which I guess was the point.

There aren't that many new consumes, but the costume dying system has allowed the community to get a lot of mileage out of the costumes we do have. Sadly there has been very little in the way of Fun Pants for a while.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 05:49:39 pm »
My FAVORITE SHIP DESIGNER has returned :D Great to hear from you!

The biggest thing is matchmaking. I am personally quite happy with current implementation, except the bit where it tells people they are going to lose a stacked match so they leave.
Spire is now an agressive assault ship that actually has pretty good agility. I love it. The stamina system has been a buff to maneuverable ships, made the skill gap between players wider and engineering is more interesting. Pyramidions still crumble under fire but they always did, it's the nature of the ship model (cannot block damage with balloon). The minotaur is hell on wheels when used on spire or galleon, but lackluster on goldfish, it especially messes up the lighter ships.
My biggest pet peeve is the UI redesign, and getting stuck on ship geometry, but they are working on fixing those.

Overall I am happy with the current version of the game, they even fixed the default pyramdion and junker loadouts so it is no longer so painful for noobs. We see a diversity of builds played, nothing feels insanely overpowered or dominant.

Could you tell us all about about the concept ship and/or gun so we can drool over it?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 05:52:26 pm by Omniraptor »

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 07:30:56 pm »
Big buff to burst hwatcha and nerf to h carro. Stamina gives gunners extra arcs and brief faster reload (max -1.6s). Buff engi does much more dps so extra arcs are the main benefit.

Heavy clip minotaur has a role and my brawl galleon is 3 engi with burst hwatcha heavy mino lesmok gat. Minotaur does minor armor damage and breaks a small gun in one shot (heavy has 3 shots). It's effective at suppressing ships with good arcs and 9 second reload.

Pyra are slower and less hull but still work as brawl ships. Squids are better and spires are good.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 10:25:09 pm »
Mobula OP

Offline LordFunPants

• Muse Games
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 11:31:02 am »
 Huh it’s good to see some names I still remember, its been a while so excuse me If I don’t remember everyone that comments :P I will probably try to join one of those Dev games assuming Muse is still doing it. I had visited muse a few times and I know I had gotten myself inadvertently thrown into a game after I took over for someone only to kinda jump off the ship a few times and set his ship on fire since I had gotten out of the loop of things….

Concept ship/guns? The last things I finished before leaving was the Mobula and the Hades. The Minotaur is cooompletely new to me mind you since I left a bit before that came, and there was actually another “sniper” gun I was working on but I never exactly finished the design of it before I had to disappear suddenly so I’m not sure what came of that sadly

Also at the time, I was pretty much "in charge" with making new things (ships and guns specifically) while everyone else shifted focus to “adventure mode” so when I left I know new stuff in that vein sorta slowed down a lot, and one of the main guys who did costumes shifted focus onto other things as well from what I saw, muse is a small company so a single person leaving ends up shifting the dynamics of things greatly, since each person really does pull A LOT of weight in specific areas. I mean.. two guys made all the player ships that I'm aware of, and i was one of those two!

I do know however that Lenz is working on something big, but what it is specifically I don’t know, more specifically I don’t know how much you guys know so I can’t really say much about what I know which is to say I know nothing :P

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 12:19:03 pm »
Keeping all the above points in mind, it seems you are up-to-date and let me be the first to say...
"Get back to work!"

I'm Kamoba, recently returning competitive pilot and general CA and pilot guy, I sometimes get to shoot and fix stuff too.

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 10:19:58 pm »
They never take your green name away. You keep it foreeeeeeeeeever! (Useful if you intern two summers in a row like me :P)

Offline LordFunPants

• Muse Games
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 12:40:52 am »
goood, goood then I can continue to abuse the power of the green name forever! all the cheat codes and such to get all the hats for free! *insert evil laugh here*

also get back to work? they gave CAs the power to get people back on the payroll since I left? cause if so then right away captain! :P   but seriously hi Kamoba! I made lots of guns and ships and stuff! and I also used to shoot stuff but mostly I'd troll on ships along with Lenz ^^;; 

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 02:54:23 am »
Nice to see you again Lord of the Fun Pants.

Offline LordFunPants

• Muse Games
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2015, 07:19:32 pm »
Glad to be visiting for a bit Pieman, it's been to long kinda wish I didn't leave the community completely after I left Muse.

to answer Kamobas curiosities, what did I make/work on? well, first off let me say that while I made a lot of these, it doesn't mean that the work wasn't share across multiple artists in some way shape or form, sometimes concept art would go through multiple artists. As an example, someone else made the original "Spire" concept years before the Spire came out, I took it made a concept of my own inSpired by that spire, someone else took it added to that concept, and it took a few more stages between people before it actually went back to me to be modeled into a finalized player ship. so with that said

Ships - Mobula, Goldfish, Squid, and the Spire
all fish, mind you I wanted the Spire to be named Babel originally, soo like I said, fish :P, also Lenz made the other half of the ships in game.

Guns - Hades, Gatling Gun, Manticore, Hellhound, Artemis
Some other guns I worked on such as the Mercury field gun were modeled and designed before I even worked at muse, but I just updated it a bit.

Costumes - I don't even completely remember but I did the concept arts for the male samurai dude, both genders for the soldier, The male Dusthopper suit, a monocle or two, and then everything after that goes blank. and like said, i only did the concepts for these, other people modeled them.

Environments - I was pretty much Lenz slave for the city map

there's a lot of other misc things here and there but spread out a lot across many little things. There were pretty much only about 5-6 main artists at Muse at a time, so each of us would definitely have our fill of things to do. so there... things I did that I remember.

Offline MagKel

• Salutes: 53
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood of GOIO
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2015, 08:13:39 pm »

Guns - Hades
Guns - Hades
Guns - Hades
Guns - Hades
Guns - Hades