Author Topic: Update to AI PLS :(  (Read 18916 times)

Offline kidpikmin

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
Update to AI PLS :(
« on: May 19, 2015, 10:25:04 pm »
every single game i've been in with ai people they always do other stuff then what should be done like fly the ship if the captain left or repair the hull but their repairing the balloon instead. I sometimes feel like their brainless. please for everybody out there, update their AI.  :'(

Offline Hilary Briss

• Salutes: 22
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
Re: Update to AI PLS :(
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 10:34:04 pm »
every single game i've been in with ai people they always do other stuff then what should be done like fly the ship if the captain left or repair the hull but their repairing the balloon instead. I sometimes feel like their brainless. please for everybody out there, update their AI.  :'(

The AI default Hull and Balloon first and foremost. Use the commands more or set them to F1 "as you were". That way if all AI, the gunner will shoot & Engineers will repair. Ai on a 3 person ship is Fine but AI and crew can unbalance the AI. The AI will never be situationally aware.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 10:36:12 pm »
A few things to clear up about AI behavior

Firstly, they can't fly. AI have no ability to grab the helm in any scenario, even if your captain has left the match. (A bit of encouragement, the pilots who d/c on purpose in the middle of the match rarely make it out of novice. If you stick with the game a little, you will rarely have this issue). If you want your ship to stay in the fight, you'll need to have one of the remaining crew members fly the boat until, hopefully, your pilot comes back, you get a new one, or the match ends.

As far as repair cycles go, yeah they can be a bit wonky, especially on certain ships. One of the reasons AI don't really get improved on is the AI are more of a fail safe. The game is designed to be played with humans, so developer attention goes to things that benefit human players before improving the AI. The robots have also been improved drastically over the years. They're better now than they ever were, even though they still make a lot of mistakes.

In case you didn't know, the commander on the ship (the player highest on the roster, goes to captain unless captain has left) can control the AI. By hitting F2, the AI will shoot the guns and stop repairing, while hitting F3, the AI will drop any gun they're using and start fixing things, looping around the ship, prioritizing certain components in a cycle. F1 sets them to their default nature (AI engis repair, AI gunners shoot)

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 10:48:37 pm »

Time to crush some babies....

Only real problem with AI scripting is their ability to shoot beyond 500m and their ability to shoot moving targets, chem patterns, how engie captain produces 2 AI gunners, and how engines are lower priority than guns.

But if these were to be fixed, you would not get better.

Guess what? Any vet can pilot. If a captain rage quits any one of us can take over the helm and still win at mid lvl play. Why? because AI shouldn't be carrying your lazy butt. They are only there for sharing the load.

If you don't want to be caught with your pants down, buy a utility belt and become steampunk batman who can adapt to anything.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 11:06:49 pm »
Ai dont fly and they choose to do commit to an action one step at a time.

So while the AI is running torwards the damaged baloon, during that time they wont reconsider to go for the hull if that gets damaged during when the ai chose to go for the baloon first.

So heres a tip, use F1-F2-F3 to put them on different positions. F1 is their class, F2 is all gunn, F3 is all Repair (Or the reverse between f2-3)
When i see the ai running torwards the baloon when the hull will be needing attention, i press F2, then F3/1 to make the engineers re-adjust their decision.

They suck, but they suck for a reason.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 01:05:52 am »
I dunno, AI are pretty godlike LF users. When I solo run I always switch to LF on the side to take advantage of them.

AI won't replace a good crew but they sure as heck will replace a bad one.

Offline MagKel

• Salutes: 53
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood of GOIO
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 03:07:09 am »
Also, B command (the additional marker on targets that the pilot can designate) will direct fire of the AI on that target. For specific ships (goldfish for example, or spire) you want to maybe hold fire until a certain position is reached: set AI on repairs, mark the target, set AI on firing mode, re-set the AI on repair. Non only this process will break un-logical priorities of the robots but will allow you to fire on a target the moment you want it.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 05:36:22 am »
Oh heck yeah, without that direct fire command I'd be probably insisting on a cannibal/headhunter theme covered with severed sand people heads.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 03:24:23 am »
One thing though. I wish AI carro shooting script goes back to shooting balloon. Prioritising components sucks.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 05:06:13 pm »
One thing though. I wish AI carro shooting script goes back to shooting balloon. Prioritising components sucks.
When has AI ever targeted balloons? Can somone who lives in the real world conform that this was ever the case?

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 05:14:28 pm »
AI targeted balloons for at least 5 months. If I remember correctly it was between beginning of MM (possibly before) and stamina.

I can't remember exactly when they started but I think it was pre MM and I noticed they weren't post stamina.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 05:23:15 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 07:51:15 pm »
just b4 MM then lost it on the update b4 stamina.

Offline Von Feuerkraft

• Salutes: 2
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015, 10:14:45 am »
As a cap it would be great if you could have pre-set priorities for AI in your ships. For example setting your AI gunner always manning the lower deck.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 03:17:50 pm »
As a cap it would be great if you could have pre-set priorities for AI in your ships. For example setting your AI gunner always manning the lower deck.

in the end the muse stance is buff on AI=who needs players.

but frankly as sad a state AI is... its even sadder that players are worst than AI.

inb4 AI clan joke.

Offline Mannson

• Salutes: 7
    • [DIKC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2015, 10:06:52 pm »
This may be just a fluke on AI's part, but I have witnessed AI following (v)oice commands almost... reliably when they're in as you were mode

Still, 99% of times, I'd take any player over AI. So, working as intended?