Author Topic: Why should the many punish the few?  (Read 26603 times)

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
Why should the many punish the few?
« on: May 16, 2015, 07:37:21 pm »
MM is better with the changes, I'll give it that. Nice to not have the 3 matches looming over my head. To have that ever impending dread of staring at MM or custom game again.

But the problem is, there is still the threat of MM if people don't want to rematch. 99% of the time this happens, I instant leave crew form and either make a custom game or queue solo. But frankly, unless it is a bad lobby, I'd rather just stay in it. I don't want to return to MM and sit there hoping to get what I want again, 3v3s are hard enough to get into as it is. I don't want my enjoyment of gameplay dictated by others. If I want to stay, I want to be able to stay. If they want to go, let them. I don't care what they do. I just don't want to finally find a nice 3v3 lobby and have to be funneled back to MM just because they all want to. I'd rather have a crew of all powder monkeys or AI than be forced to stare at MM again.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
Re: Why should the many punish the few?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 07:57:18 pm »
Ohh, you tried to play on a sale day. That's adorable.

Fly, fools!

It's much more efficient to remove everyone from the lobby and make them all join the queue rather than remove some of them from the lobby and try to fill it up. I guess there just isn't much devs can do about that problem.

Offline Extirminator

• Salutes: 56
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 05:40:50 am »
If they remove other people and not you from the lobby its exactly the same as you listing you don't want to be separated in crew form - so that when the match ends and not enough votes are gathered you can be thrown to a different lobby with your initial team but different opponents.

In both cases you end up with the same team but different opponents. There is no need to over-complicate things if it ends in the same result.

Offline Lieutenant Noir

• Salutes: 17
    • [❤™]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 08:52:39 am »
What if you make the default option Rematch and "vote" to go back to crew form.
New players probably don't think about Ticking a box after finishing an exhilarating match (Even I do this)
Also maybe rename "Rematch" to "Back to lobby" to make it less scary
Maybe add a subtext next to the title "crew form" called "wait 30 mins for a match while you talk to your crew about where they're from, for the 20th time in a row"

Or maybe each individual votes to stay or go to matchmaker. The ones that vote to stay in the match stay, while the rest go to crew form.

I'm not sure whether Muse intends for more people to be in the matchmaker or for more people to be in lobbies. I think they implemented the matchmaker so that less lobbies would be created (to reduce performance issues or something).
If that is the case, then I find people create lobbies less due to that fact that the list of lobbies is hidden. Creating lobbies is less efficient in starting a game due to the fact that it's primary source of players is either through the friends list or matchmaker (Not through players picking a lobby via a server list). If you create a lobby you have to bring friends or wait for the matchmaker to bring you players. I don't know about you guys but for me it takes an awfully long time to get enough players to start a match. It would probably be better for me just to find a match through the matchmaker or see a lobby one of my friends are in.

This is all determined by Muse's reasons behind the matchmaker implementation (I'm still shaky on this). I dread the thought of having to wake up "early" D; for the fireside chat or emailing them without sounding like I'm giving a shady interview.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 08:54:53 am by Lieutenant Noir »

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 01:07:06 pm »
I prefer the idea of rematch as default, and they vote to leave.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 02:41:46 pm »
That being said.

If you are the few that return to lobby. Guess who fills up the lobby? No one or mostly the same people who would promptly leave.

In a 2 v 2 that is manageable to refill. 3 v 3, not so much. I mean come on remember the server browse days? Even then it was hard to start those.

Still though I wish the requirement to start queue from MM was less than 9 people. 5-6 would be enough.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 06:16:42 pm »

2nded!

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 06:47:45 pm »

Not gonna happen

The default must be going back to the queue. This is better for the system, especially if people who wanted to leave would leave anyway and there would be a sad shell of a lobby left for matchmaker to fill. I'm only glad that unlimited rematch is now a thing and I'm afraid that Devs can't do much more for us.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 08:03:07 pm »
Every freaken match today...sit 15+ mins for a 3v3, no one votes, back in queue for another 15+ mins of staring at spinning wheel. Everything so designed to get rid of lobbies and yet now we spend just as much if not more time staring at a spinning wheel.

Half the time thinking about queuing as engineer then getting a lobby fast and moving to spectate till someone leaves...sadly with people not voting it would just be a waste of time sitting in endless spectators. Yeah I could crew but when you see people with dual flak Pyras and the godawful builds that sales bring...I'd rather lick a skunk.

Offline Carn

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 08:07:23 pm »
You tried to play the day after a sale? During a youtuber thing? Really?

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 11:11:09 pm »
Mostly flew with AI :D

Everyone is scared of crewing on squids. Another benefit of flying them.

Offline Carn

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 11:40:29 pm »
Why? Squids are fun!

Offline Koali

• Salutes: 56
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 11:48:33 pm »
Why? Squids are fun!

Unless your pilot is a certain fellow named "empty beer can."

Like no kidding that's actually his name. He flies a decoy Squid.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2015, 11:53:16 pm »
Mostly flew with AI :D

Everyone is scared of crewing on squids. Another benefit of flying them.

Sounds like you won quite soundly

Offline Lieutenant Noir

• Salutes: 17
    • [❤™]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 12:42:59 am »
One issue is that new players tend to just tick the box whether they lost or won the match. Of course it wouldn't be a rematch of the exact same match. This issue could be solved with better explanation of the crew formation system but they tend not to listen to me -_-.

I would love for each of my team members to be able to decide for themselves whether they want to stay in the lobby or go to crew formation. I don't want them to make the decision for the entire team. That's just silly and makes me hate them, even though the game didn't explain to them that it's a scrambled match.

The problem is that the current implementation of the matchmaker makes more people spend time in the matchmaker rather than in lobbies.

-Individual choice
Less people being forced to leave due to that new player that really needed to go to the bathroom after the match
-Rename "Rematch" to "Back to Lobby"
Clear up confusion about rematch to newer players
-Default option be "Back to Lobby"
Less people being forced to leave due to that new player that really needed to go to the bathroom after the match

Thus more people will be "in" lobbies and there will be less of a shell to fill :D

I don't care about waiting in a lobby I can interact way more with people in a lobby than in spinning wheel.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 12:47:33 am by Lieutenant Noir »