Author Topic: Banshee Light Rocket Carousel  (Read 22180 times)

Offline Extirminator

• Salutes: 56
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: Banshee Light Rocket Carousel
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 09:38:28 am »
Still can't get a ranged heavy clip hwacha to do a lick of good now since the change. I use burst. Just wait longer before firing. Does a lot more than heavy does. But yeah, old routine was heavy clip ranged then switch to burst close.

Burst is pretty terrible for banshee. I don't understand the reasoning behind it at all.

Offline MagKel

• Salutes: 53
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood of GOIO
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2015, 10:54:38 am »
Still can't get a ranged heavy clip hwacha to do a lick of good now since the change. I use burst. Just wait longer before firing. Does a lot more than heavy does. But yeah, old routine was heavy clip ranged then switch to burst close.

Burst is pretty terrible for banshee. I don't understand the reasoning behind it at all.

Couldn't agree more. Burst increases AoE, for the banshee that is 3mt 25 Fire an 2 stacks at 25%.

Why burst?

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2015, 01:13:54 pm »
I mean it is still the highest damage. I prefer the higher DPS of others but I can understand why some may like burst.

Offline Lieutenant Noir

• Salutes: 17
    • [❤™]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2015, 01:22:20 pm »
He was talking about burst in the hwatcha

but I generally only tell a crew member to load burst into the banshee if I know that they'll be manning another side gun that works well with burst rounds like an Artemis. It's an extra shot and no damage reduction but lower rate of fire (I expect every shot with it to hit cause it's gonna count).

Offline Extirminator

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2015, 03:15:31 pm »
Sure burst has the highest damage per clip. But with so long to empty the clip, reaction time of the guy shooting and bullet travel time, you never do end up emptying the entire clip before armor is rebuilt - and if you do, you're fighting the wrong enemy. If you wanted to have a good damage per clip you would have chosen a light flak, might as well use the banshee to what its good for which is the harassment fires and greater damage before armor drop.

You might as well use normal over burst in my opinion - You guarantee more shots going in the hull because no decrease to fire rate and you have a plus of more fires per sec. Because lets face it, if you're using a banshee you are using it as a harass weapon and not a kill weapon, sometimes even a support weapon - with that in mind you don't need that extra 70-80 damage you get per clip with burst, you need a quick way to dish out damage with your engineer for him to go back to repairs quickly(if you're using it as a support weapon) or you use it as harassment, and then you just want high fires/second stats and burst is not the way to go.

I will say though that if for some reason you still want a banshee for kill weapon the only viable target to use burst banshee on is a galleon because long rebuild times still allow you to empty the clip.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 03:19:01 pm by Extirminator »

Offline Lieutenant Noir

• Salutes: 17
    • [❤™]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2015, 08:17:02 pm »
Hmm, so I guess you definatly don't need ammunition that hampers it's rate of fire.
In doing so reduces it's killing potential and harrassing abilities.
I don't really see any ammunition that would substitute for greased besides just normal.

From the ammunition that don't touch it's rate of fire (Heatsink, Lesmok, and Heavy clip) the clip reduction from the last two reduces it's potential for any sort of harassment while the damage reduction from heatsink does nothing to justify the same rate of fire as normal.

Strange, I always saw the Banshee as a gun that had versatile preferences of ammo types (even though having it's Greased meta).

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2015, 10:02:07 pm »
I used to have heavy clip banshee on the left side of merc mobula with banshee - carro. Heavy clip was good for extending effective range but banshee damage is too low and I swapped it for a light flak with much more success, especially after switching to lesmok light flak - gat.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 10:03:42 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline Extirminator

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2015, 04:11:56 am »
You used to only use heavyclip and greased for banshee, so you can guarantee hull hits on distant ships with heavy. But since the heavy nerf, I would just use normal at longer ranges and greased in close vs certain ships that have slim hull profile. Just because with that many more shots you are probably bound to hit more than with the heavy.

We actually use heatsink in a banshee on one of the builds that require banshee to be rarely shot by a main engineer. Heatsink is not hindering the fire rate and give a larger clip size than normal so you still get the support potential when you use it. Some may argue that greased is better because of higher dps vs the armor than heatsink, but in that specific build, the enemy is almost always at lower than 50% Hull when using the banshee and it requires turning time to it, and sometimes the engineer has to repair and get on it a bit later... so I found that the added benefit of a shorter chem cycle with heatsink on and extremely high rotation speed is more beneficial than greased most of the time.

But in most definitely all other cases greased is the way to go.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2015, 09:17:29 am »
Does firing the banshee in bursts (and not with a burst round) increase accuracy?

Say I have a mid-long range mobula build. I have hades top for hull strip. Flak for kills. Artemis for gun/engine disables.
But Banshee for Balloon Pop? I guess its accurate enough, but is it better to shoot slower for accuracy, or use a heavy clip for accuracy?

Offline ZnC

• Salutes: 40
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2015, 09:56:35 am »
This thread actually made me study the Banshee all over again; I'm thinking about some interesting effects when used with other weapons.

@Extir: I understand the faster response of Heatsink, but still find it a bit strange because Banshee has one of the fastest rotation speeds.

@Indreams: Unlike weapon recoil in conventional FPS, firing slower does not affect projectile spread. Banshee doesn't do much direct damage against Balloons, but it does make it catch fire.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 10:21:37 am by ZanC »

Offline Extirminator

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2015, 01:54:54 pm »
I understand the faster response of Heatsink, but still find it a bit strange because Banshee has one of the fastest rotation speeds.

Yeah I mainly like it for usefulness of the fire immunity on guns that are rarely used, because it gives you a larger window of quickly responding to emergencies since you don't have to go to certain places for chem cycle. The fire rate is not crippled by it and you have larger clip than normal ammo. So it is more of a side bonus that you can turn it faster - always helps a bit.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2015, 03:56:56 pm »
Dementio's Fancy Fairy mobula has the gunner jump from merc to banshee with heatsink (already for merc). For engi I think you should always use greased. Heatsink starts more fire than normal, and - 6% dps + 4% damage per clip.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 04:03:00 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline Extirminator

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2015, 04:06:42 pm »
Dementio's Fancy Fairy mobula has the gunner jump from merc to banshee with heatsink (already for merc). For engi I think you should always use greased. Heatsink starts more fire than normal, and - 6% dps + 4% damage per clip.

While its probably better to use greased most of the time, some rare situations and builds are nice to have heatsink on - Even if its not optimal damage wise, it still has other benefits. Not everything is revolving dps.