Author Topic: Comments on the new UI  (Read 6086 times)

Offline Ashunera

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Comments on the new UI
« on: May 15, 2015, 01:39:26 am »
I've player a lot of matches recently where I ended up helping people understand some of the features in the latest patch with stamina and the new UI and thought I'd collect some of mine, and others', opinions here.

First of all, Crazy King. This may just be me but I dislike that time remaining on  point is now in M:S format not seconds. A good CK game often requires risk/reward calculations between crews figuring out if they should let the other team take a point or fight it out. In the old system, it was immediately obvious how may points you stood to gain/give by fighting for a point, but the new system might take some conversion and every second counts. Sure, we all know HOW to do it (2:07 = 127) but still, I preferred the seconds count.

I already touched on my Altimeter opinion in another topic so I'll not go into detail there

Now, this next point is one I heard many of the people I talked to say. It seems that many feel the UI is too big. I somewhat agree as it hides the beautiful scenery sometimes but I don't get bugged by it a lot. Many people though, do. I've heard dozens of comments to that effect. Maybe introduce some sort of UI scaling?

Anyway, just some thoughts. Anyone agree/disagree/want to tear my guts out for daring to question muse? Weigh in.

Offline Koali

• Salutes: 56
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
Re: Comments on the new UI
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 09:30:25 am »
I'll say what everyone says: we liked the old UI just fine, thank you.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 10:41:17 am »

This, pretty much. Although I don't highly dislike the new one. Perhaps that was a step towards newer players.

Crazy King timer - yup, fully agree, seconds were best.

UI scaling - sure, why not, just big(current)/small would do the trick I think

Offline yan

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 05:57:01 am »
Just 2 things to note:

1) style: the plain white indicators seem a little alien with the rest of the game UI (1st time after launching, even thought it was some nasty bug with OSD textures in a game, logged off, and noted the update article, read it, and saw that these were actually the new features indicators, funny).

2) contrast:
 * the red team kill-counter sign (in DM mode) looks too similar to a broken baloon alert (a red colored baloon) and sometimes gets confused.
 * compass is now a thin line, so depending on the underlying sky colour, ally/enemy marks (those red-blue-grey circles) may become hard to see/identify.
 * the same with bottom indicators: with the light background -- sometimes hard to read (especially gun reload progress-bar on some clip-types).

Apart from that, after some playtime and getting used -- an awesome update.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 08:03:31 am »

This, pretty much. Although I don't highly dislike the new one. Perhaps that was a step towards newer players.

Crazy King timer - yup, fully agree, seconds were best.

UI scaling - sure, why not, just big(current)/small would do the trick I think

Total agreement, here.  This says all I wanted to say.

Offline kindcrayons

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 11:09:16 am »
Hi Ashunera, thanks for the feedback!

I'm the new UI designer at Muse.  We've heard the feedback from the changes to the last patch and I've been working to fix some of the more pressing concerns.  At this point it will be mostly cosmetic, but I'm compiling a larger list of things to address as we move along.  Feel free to continue to leave feedback on the forums!

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 08:38:09 am »
Hi Ashunera, thanks for the feedback!

I'm the new UI designer at Muse.  We've heard the feedback from the changes to the last patch and I've been working to fix some of the more pressing concerns.  At this point it will be mostly cosmetic, but I'm compiling a larger list of things to address as we move along.  Feel free to continue to leave feedback on the forums!

Welcome, new guy!

To commemorate you arrival on the team, (even though you don't have a 'Muse' tag yet  :P) have your first salute!

Offline MagKel

• Salutes: 53
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood of GOIO
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 12:14:53 pm »
Hello Kindcrayons

The first thing I would suggest to remove is the class icon on the lower right. it is very redundant because

• Your Tools tell you which class your are
  • Your time in the lobby told you which class you are
  • Short memory tells you which class you are

The second thing I would suggest you to re-instate is the vertical ally position on the compass relative to your ship because

• You can't spot allied ships, which means you will have to rely on visual observation, and I have a balloon over my head (yes, not on a mobula, ok)
  • You can't tell the vertical position of anything through the map
  • Collisions are annoying and close formations are cool

The third thing I would suggest is to differentiate the V command icon for (Enemy, Move) forward/up and back/down. They are currently the same and if my crew uses a Chinese voice pack, well, I don't speak Chinese. The reasons for this change are:

• V commands are very useful
  • V commands must be very, very clear
  • I know V commands are displayed in the chat text box but they are not so easy to read sometimes (because of color, layering or whatever) and new crews don't read them all the time.

The fourth thing i suggest is to reinstate a clear kill/points counter during re-spawn because:

• Re-spawn is a moment for the crew to breath and focus, knowing the development of the game is important for new players
  • Why not? Seriously, why not?

The fifth thing I suggest is showing the north and the scale in the map, on the side. like a proper map, because:

• it's a map
  • Shows how big/small the maps are and give a sense of tactical perspective.
  • Right now you need to go in the forums and read about it, or have someone else telling you. Not cool.
  • I crewed with a level 10 captain that was adamant each square was 5 kilometers in Dunes. 150 something games.

The six and last ADDITION I humbly suggest is to give the gunner (and only gunner class) a perception of the engine telegraph position while they man a gun. Place it next to the pilot's tool window up right or anywhere, because:

• Since the weapons automatically shift according to the ship's movement, it is impossible to know, especially while manning a precision gun such as lumberjack, artemis or merc, if the ship is turning until it runs out of arc. At least knowing if it is going back or forward is important
  • Leaving a gun returns it (sometimes faster that with a player, see lochnagar) into the original position, making fast drop-spot-shoot difficult and time consuming
  • The gunner needs to know if and when the ship is moving and how fast. not precisely but more of a general information. The more expert the player, the better he/she can gauge drop and lead: veterans are saved.
  • In the real world air pressure, sense of balance and such would provide critical information that a videogame can't give.

the last thing:

I H Y E R A Z X V M
S T G Y R X T Z D M
P T T V D O L W O V
L D E M J O M W A Y
E T P A V L K E Z N
A T Y E M E K A M E
S S D W P P Y J H N
E U J C A J U T D L
B J C H Y S T N S P
U E T T X J T K K I