Author Topic: Impact Bumpers  (Read 9146 times)

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Impact Bumpers
« on: May 14, 2015, 11:00:42 am »
Impact bumpers are the least used tool and now that drogue chute reduces impact damage by 25% bumpers are nearly useless. The impact reduction of bumpers should be at least 50% because using bumpers requires giving up a pilot tool and -60% thrust for five seconds.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 11:05:36 am by BlackenedPies »

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: Impact Bumpers
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 11:30:06 am »
I thought the drouge chute thing was another thing that wasn't supposed to be in the game, but I agree, bumpers need more love. Maybe it could also add more mass for the ship so the enemy ramming ship takes a little bit more damage or that ramming becomes more powerful?

Offline Extirminator

• Salutes: 56
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 11:46:13 am »
drouge chute is a bug, yeah.

I say give it -50% to make it really useful for ramming, because 25% is not useful enough to justify a spot over other tools.

Offline Ashunera

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 04:10:25 pm »
I actually use the bumpers over the drogue chute because the thrust reduction helps with delicate maneuvers however I can see that, in most circumstances, the Chute is better. I agree that increased damage reduction could certainly make the bumpers more viable.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 05:04:19 pm »
The other question is if the drogue bug should be kept. I didn't want to call it a bug because I like it and hope it stays. If it does stay then bumpers should either be removed or buffed. I'd be in favor of buffing it up to 75% because giving up a tool and thrust for five seconds is significant.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 05:05:59 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 05:13:21 pm »
This is how i find it balanced.

I use drogue chute if i want 25% impact resistance, but if i want 50%. I get BOTH. Which in turn also turns off my engines. Allowing for ramming with any ship.
I rammed a pyra head on with moonshine+stamina+drogue+bumpers. Imagine a pyra being split in two by a ramming spire.

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 06:19:19 pm »

I use drogue chute if i want 25% impact resistance, but if i want 50%. I get BOTH. Which in turn also turns off my engines. Allowing for ramming with any ship.
I rammed a pyra head on with moonshine+stamina+drogue+bumpers. Imagine a pyra being split in two by a ramming spire.

Stop sticking yourself in places ships you don't belong  :(

Offline Lieutenant Noir

• Salutes: 17
    • [❤™]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 06:59:10 pm »

Stop sticking yourself in places ships you don't belong  :(

Glorious Nippon Steel!

Offline Daft Loon

• Salutes: 47
    • [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 07:20:05 pm »
How about-

Drouge chute - replace thrust penalty with significant longitudinal drag so it actively slows your ship down (also becomes useful as an 'air break'). The reduced bounce away on rams could have odd effects though.

Impact bumpers - replace thrust penalty with kerosene level angular drag

I dont see why these tools affect thrust at all (apart from pure balancing), slowing down or reversing to avoid impact damage is something the pilot can and should do manually.

I was somewhat dissapointed when trying to use both to learn that the -120% thrust was not additive with the thrust bonus from stamina or moonshine, still kinda works though you get back to -60% after 2 seconds when chute finishes.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 07:26:04 pm »
Honestly what would be more fun is if Bumpers actually caused the ship to bounce when hitting. Like bumpers should. Instead of just reducing damage and turning the vessel into a sponge. Just outright make the ship jump up. In a balloon lock situation it would be awesome to be able to bounce and jump over a ship, buying time to get the balloon back up then tear them apart. It would be hilarious in action tho. I remember times when I used a ground jump with a squid on Canyon. Literally it involves a buffed balloon and chute vent then time it right and the ship will hit the ground and bounce back up. Its literally the rocket jump of GOIO.

Of course all of this based on relative velocity. If you are falling like a rock, you'll bounce higher than if you are just lightly falling. In non falling situations it would be either helpful or deadly. Imagine being bounced into a building in paritan then right back into gat/mort arcs of a foe. The "HA HA!...oh crap!" moment.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 07:28:11 pm by Gilder Unfettered »

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 03:22:31 am »
A bounce is probably better to make the impact bumper an anti-ram tool.

When an enemy rams you, pop an impact bumper. On impact, both ships bounce away from each other, and the ships are rather randomly spun about, so that the ram ship can't continue its ram and put you against a wall or something.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 05:06:09 am »
Would be a crazy fun gametype. Might make the Pyralition Derby possible. 4v4, all Pyras with mine + harpoons. Start in a circle in the air then charge in and smash. Add bouncy bumpers to the mix and it would be hilarious.