Author Topic: The player's role: Aces or Mercenaries?  (Read 43156 times)

Offline Helios.

• Salutes: 14
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
Re: The player's role: Aces or Mercenaries?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2016, 05:05:35 pm »
Keb is completely correct vis a vis ship origins

i always assumed we were privateers, technically allied with a faction, but ultimately free agents. dont like the side you're with? trade in your letter of marque from one side for another. equipping our ships and gathering our crews always seemed very much a part of OUR jobs. if the ships were less customizable i would feel more like part of a navy, where certain pieces of equipment are general issued gear

Offline Naoura

• Salutes: 25
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2016, 12:51:11 pm »
Where'd you get the info for the Goldie being Yeshan? The hull design and balloon designs are a complete departure from the Galleon and the Pyramidion.

And I'd forgotten about privateers... bloody hell my father would have been disappointed. He's a flaming naval historian and I forgot. Le Derp.

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2016, 07:45:30 am »

Offline Naoura

• Salutes: 25
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2016, 07:03:20 pm »
Interesting that it doesn't mention the Pyra on that...

I still don't hold that the Goldie is Yeshan. It's a complete departure for the overall design for their ships.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2016, 07:23:48 pm »
Goldfish is Yesh ->[Citation needed]

Hmmmm..... Looks like a player assumption.

The balloon gives it away to me. Chaladonian makes cigar balloons. Squid and Shrike both have this distinctive shape, once you strip away the frills.

In Alliance, I believe the intention is to earn each Faction ship, which means they are more of an official war builds coming from government funded factories. The Skirmish ships are privateers constructed by lesser private shipwrights. So, the Squid and Goldfish have the same basic elements without the expensive frills of the Shrike.

The only real connection between the Goldfish and anything Yeshan are the lamps, which are basically a theme. The only other ship that has them is the Galleon. Pyra actually has the same lamps as Squids.

Honestly, nothing really even connects the Pyramidian to the Galleon as far as cultural trimmings. Galleon is a stately, well-designed ship using a lot of wood, modeled after seafaring ships of the past. Pyramidian is Mad Max Learns Airships. It is going to be interesting to see which of those two directions they take the official war ships in.