Author Topic: Aviation controls for the joystick + throttle  (Read 7658 times)

Offline Battlewrath

• Salutes: 2
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
Aviation controls for the joystick + throttle
« on: May 07, 2015, 06:02:06 pm »
Hello there!

Simply put, the throttle does not work as intended, I feel, on my joy stick set up I have a throttle control, with a 180% axis (0% being pulled back fully, 180% being fully pushed forward.)

For the activation of throttle down, you need to bring it to 0%, that then reduced the throttle down one gear

A better system would be from 90% to 0% bringing it from the first rewind gear then second, 90% being neutral and then pushing forward should change to first forward gear at 135% and second forward gear at 180%.

In short, it needs to be a analogue system rather than fully a key press system.

I hope that

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: Aviation controls for the joystick + throttle
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 06:29:34 pm »
Uh, then what happens if you jump off helm? Doesnt the joystick then not feel unfitting?

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 06:56:52 pm »
I think the throttle is intentional. Being able to immediately change between full forward and backwards is an essential pilot skill which would be too easy with joystick control. The game doesn't feel like it's meant to be played on joystick. Like Craf pointed out it's likely that as pilot you will leave helm on some ships and the joystick won't do any good there. It's best to get used to a keyboard mouse set up.

You need to be able to use your movement, voice, throttle, and number keys simultaneously. The best throttle keys I've found are the mouse buttons or side mouse buttons because you have to click fast as possible. I use shift and ctrl as voice keys and C as map. My 1234 keys are Alt, mouse3, mouse4, Q. Alt is chem spray or default (gun/helm) and Q is hydro/spyglass.

Offline Battlewrath

• [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 07:36:10 pm »
Simply put the devs support the use of joy stick - it's allready in the game.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 07:44:58 pm »
But not a throttle.

?

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 08:57:01 pm »
Because there are many keys that are used I recommend a keyboard-mouse set up. It's not really designed as a joystick game.

Offline Battlewrath

• [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 09:10:29 pm »
When running the joy stick (Thrust master from logitec.) I use forward push as down avation, pull as up aviation, left and right push respective.

Middle press on joy stick as stamina, on the throttle I have a left and right button for cycling the pilot items.

throttle up and down would be better on my actual throttle.

Main issue with joy stick is looking around, I have a HOTAS but the game doesn't let me use it - thinking about a Tracker IR or such thing, but that's for another pay day / finding out if the game supports that.

Is playing with a joy stick competitive to the mouse? Who knows, but for me it's more enjoyable and feels more tangible, making for a greater play experience.

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 09:46:55 pm »
There is no magnitude for the directions so slightly down is no different than fully down. Scrolling through tools doesn't work you need to select them individually. Keyboard works great for both pilot and crew while joystick can only work for pilot.

Offline Battlewrath

• [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 01:49:02 am »
That's exactly the feed back I'm giving, throttle should have a analogue system also for throttles.