Author Topic: Altimeter  (Read 5414 times)

Offline Ashunera

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Altimeter
« on: May 06, 2015, 11:41:18 am »
I mentioned this in a feedback email but, what do you guys think?

I feel the ship HUD needs a better altimeter than that blue gauge. I find that it isn't entirely accurate and altitude plays a large role in flying.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: Altimeter
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 11:52:33 am »
The only thing ide need it with is to know when we hit the skies ceiling.
But it doesnt count the ground so well.

Ide like for it to be accurate, but it isnt the most needed thing to have fixed. Reading the sky limit works, reading the ground needs fixing.

Offline Extirminator

• Salutes: 56
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 12:13:46 pm »
The only thing ide need it with is to know when we hit the skies ceiling.
But it doesnt count the ground so well.

Ide like for it to be accurate, but it isnt the most needed thing to have fixed. Reading the sky limit works, reading the ground needs fixing.

That is because all sky limits on every map are 1000m, but the ground doesn't start exactly at zero. That's because muse uses a universal variable for the limit of which each ship can get to, so the sky limit is always the same.
To get a higher map ceiling, they make the ground lower while keeping the limit at 1000m. So the altitude meter will be probably set to show you reached the ground at zero, but in some maps zero could be either above or below the actual ground.
They would have to actually check for the distance from ship to ground and make an interactive altitude meter - which would probably both be intensive on calculations to keep accurate and very confusing at the same time on fast moving ships or rapid ground level changes.

I don't think they should change it.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 03:50:26 pm »
Ideally there would be two altimeters: one based off air pressure or w/e to tell your absolute height above sea level. And another one based off sonar or radar to tell your height above the ground.

In game terms this would be raycasting straight up and straight down and telling the length of each ray.

Offline Ashunera

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 04:20:07 pm »
The idea of two is intriguing, though the raycasting would be a new thing to code, it could be done. I worry that some pilots might find that confusing.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 02:29:41 am »
raycasting rather easy to code, it is done every time you fire a hitscan weapon such as carronade or gatling to determine whether you hit or not.