Author Topic: Character movement testing, build 504  (Read 12972 times)

Offline Watchmaker

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 55
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Character movement testing, build 504
« on: May 04, 2015, 04:29:26 pm »
We're getting ready to release a handful of fixes in the first 1.4.1 hotfix.

One of the ones that could definitely use some testing/feedback is player movement.  I've removed some problematic code introduced in 1.4.1 that caused what some have referred to as "magnetic railings" or "walking through mud", and have replaced it with an alternate solution to reduce getting stuck on slopes and railings.  In doing so, I'm treading dangerously close to the the nonfix to this issue released in 1.3.9, so I could use some testers to bang on it and see if things work reasonably.

TL;DR: Run around on moving ships, see if you get stuck, let me know how it feels.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
Re: Character movement testing, build 504
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 04:45:14 pm »
Roger!

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 04:51:55 pm »
I couldnt detect any magnetic movements on railings or other areas anymore.

The most prominent area where i get magnetised is in pyramideons top guns. That catwalk has ALWAYS magnetised me.
But in the dev app i no longer get it. For the small ammount i tested.

However, there is an apparent muddy walking when walking up slopes.
You get a huge slowdown, you have no choice but to hop up instead.

To convince you, walk up the stairs on a goldfish, or the ramp from hull to helm on spire, or the stairs in galleon. Your speed is just halved.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 04:52:53 pm »
Thank you for finally working on this. It really bothered me how something as fundamental as moving around the ships was broken.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 05:35:42 pm »
Check slowdown moving up and down stairs. Confirming here. Noticing on the Junker that when coming to stairs or any elevation changes, the character's pace slows down quite a bit.

Offline Extirminator

• Salutes: 56
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 08:42:58 pm »
After checking all ships that's what I have to say:

-Going up a slope is extremely slower than normal movement.
-Going down a slope is slightly slower than normal movement but faster than going up a slope.

-On 3 of the ships tested I have found a similar behavior of sudden glitching through the floors for a split second, it all happens on the lowest deck of the ships and usually at the back of it. It happens on Junker bottom deck near main engine, Galleon bottom deck next to light engines, and spire bottom deck next to light engines. I am guessing it can happen on any ship due to how common it was in the ships tested, maybe I was not walking around as much. It's really hard to reproduce but definitively exists(my guess is that it has to do with low decks and random ship movement of bobbing up and down).

-All "magnetized" fences and surfaces seem to be fine, with the exception of perhaps the spire's railings on the spiral. I am not sure if it's the spiral movements and thus the pushing outwards that gives that notion or if it is actually still weird - maybe if more people check so we have a more strong opinion about it.

-A specific problem on the squid that you are able to glitch quite easily to the left of the stairs leading down to the armor, and getting stuck there still exists.

I thinks that is about all I found out.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 08:45:16 pm by Extirminator »

Offline Watchmaker

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 11:32:21 am »
I'm sure everyone's going to hate this, but the slowdown on slopes is not a bug.  It's how this behaved in version 1.4.0 and earlier.

(Also, technically, you aren't slowing down, you're just moving at the same speed along the surface of the slope rather than just horizontally.  Triangles.)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 11:36:53 am by Watchmaker »

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 11:54:38 am »
Engineer stamina has a new purpose, going slopes up and down faster!

Offline Extirminator

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 12:19:57 pm »
I'm sure everyone's going to hate this, but the slowdown on slopes is not a bug.  It's how this behaved in version 1.4.0 and earlier.

(Also, technically, you aren't slowing down, you're just moving at the same speed along the surface of the slope rather than just horizontally.  Triangles.)

Makes sense, but with the low duration of engineer's stamina I can see how an increase is needed in the usage duration now that you move so slowly up slopes. You are pretty much forced to use stamina in those spots, which means engineer stamina is mandatory and not for emergencies only - In that case stamina duration will have to be larger to account.

Offline Crafeksterty

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 12:57:44 pm »
Its not a bug?

But hopping makes you go up it faster!
So does that mean you want us to hop up slopes?

Im not being sarcastic. lol. Im saying, if its not a bug, then il hop up. And hopping up skips the slowdown part. So in turn i should hop up slopes.

Offline Watchmaker

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 01:01:47 pm »
The goal for now has to be "works like the last unbugged release", which was 1.4.0.  Preferably with less sticking to railings, since that was the bug I was originally trying to fix for 1.4.1.

Further changes are beyond the scope of the immediate hotfix.  I'm not thrilled with "hopping is faster than walking" myself, but one thing at a time.

Offline Crafeksterty

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 01:22:43 pm »
I can live with that then.

Offline Watchmaker

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 01:40:36 pm »
I believe build 505 fixes the occasional fall through the floor.

Offline Extirminator

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 03:22:45 pm »
I believe build 505 fixes the occasional fall through the floor.
Just checked and it appears that all spots that showed signs of it are fixed from brief testing.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 10:49:29 pm »

I can finally invite my coder friend back to play!  A year and a half ago, after less than an hour of play, he said this. "Getting stuck on things is unacceptable," and quit. I told him I would invite him back when it was fixed. (Adventure Time is one of his favorite shows).