Author Topic: Was GOIO A Fluke?  (Read 71678 times)

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Re: Was GOIO A Fluke?
« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2015, 07:14:42 pm »
BUT THEN, OH BROTHER, YOU'RE GONNA HAVE FUN!

Instantly read that in drunk Sapphire's Savage voice. Intentional?

-About the variety of feedback - I think it's really helpful when devs put their reasons for particular change in patch notes (as they did now). It may lessen the outrage (at least the first wave) of the players-

I personally think we need to get more players testing, especially novices. I propose to merge Devapp with the main game and give it permission based access in addition to random sample invitation. Then you can test the game from the same client.

Offline Mod Josie

• Muse
  • Salutes: 130
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2015, 07:35:13 pm »
@Jacob
Some games are produced on massive budgets and are fated for success due to hype, marketing and a big brand-name; other games have to lead a harder life in order to gain notability.
I don't think that's always the case. I mean, I refuse to believe that consumers are stupid enough to buy the game just because it looks cool on commercials and everyone is talking about it. And even then - it will fail soon. Good example is waaaay overhyped Evolve
http://steamcharts.com/app/273350#All
In 3 months average population decreased by 7 times. Games have to be fun to be successful. And although it's surely easier to do with more budget and more marketing resources, that's not always the case, really. Also there is quite a lot of going on in indie scene also and good indie games gain recognition pretty quickly

I would argue that pre-ordering any game is exactly what you mentioned. You are relying on what you've heard in commercials and reviews to make a decision about whether or not to lay your money down.

While I do definitely agree with your assessment in premise, Evolve is a case study that made some big mistakes. Their model's reliance on DLC peddling made a lot of fast enemies. I'd also like to note that the game did initially sell well purely based on hype, generated by strong marketing. It was only after the fact that the game's sales began to suffer. Not that that game is completely dead mind you, they're still pulling numbers!

You're definitely not wrong though. The indie scene has the power to produce utter juggernauts of games (Minecraft fills my head at this moment) though it is easily admitted that having a bigger budget to hammer consumers with will make the job of selling a game easier. The video game market is stupendously competitive (that's a good thing, don't get me wrong) and having a big wallet and a reputation behind you will give you a leg-up.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 07:38:55 pm by -Muse- Jacob »

Offline Mattilald Anguisad

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 12
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2015, 07:49:43 pm »
... Anyone who has read Gilder's posts know that in 1.1 things were more dynamic and pilots were better able to dynamically control engagements. More recent patches made the positional game vital (especially the era of the gat/mortar metamidion). Of course this means that it is impossible to satisfy everyone at once, and it is sad for me to see so many folks not having a good time in the game at the moment, even if others are thrilled with the recent changes.

I loved playing in those times, but I got to say: no things weren't more dynamic, it's just ships like Pyramidion (with 300 000 kg it was second heaviest ship, and still almost as manoeuvrable as the Goldfish) were far too manoeuvrable. In competitive you only saw 3 ships and 4 builds total (gat/flak metamidion, blenderfish, flakfish, and galleon with a double flak and merc long range side). People have had their builds nerfed or broken in 1.1.4 and 1.1.5 (witch saw explosive damage nerf, heavy flak got arming time, flamer nerf, pyra nerf, junker buff and some new clouds added on some of the most prominent sniping maps like the Fjords and Dunes), have rose tinted glasses for those times and are inflexible with their builds (admittedly I'm inflexible only when it comes to purely sniping builds). I'll freely admit I was abusing the op as fuck metamidion in those days.

I think one of the core problems of GOIO is two(and a half)-step problem:
1) One stupid player can easily ruin your experience
2) Vets can't play with vets, they have to play with medium or low skilled players*
2.5) There's no way of dealing with stupid players (once they're on your ship/team)

*inb4 "But Dis, it's due to low population!" - devs have had 2 years to solve this problem
The 2 most popular MOBAs (LoL and DOTA2) have both problems 1 and 2.5 with the addition of extremely toxic communities
* is a circular argument
There is nothing preventing Vets playing Vets (it might be slightly less likely to happen with matchmaking, but you can always join on friends you can even make custom lobbies specifiicly to play with other players you want to. Players don't HAVE to play with medium or low skilled players.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2015, 08:00:10 pm »
I was ignoring this thread in hopes people would realize how whiny and ridiculous it is. Then it became 7 pages long and I see now that failed.

Just because Muse doesn't agree with your opinions doesn't mean they don't care about your feedback. Muse has been pretty damn consistent with being attentive to feedback. This is easily the most ridiculous thread I've seen started. I know I am guilty of it as well, but I see so many people around here mistaking their opinions for objective truths. The notion that 1.1 was some golden era has as much evidence to support it as the notion that 1.1 was the dark ages.

Muse definitely listens to constructive feedback. However many people have a warped view concerning where their opinions end and constructive feedback begins.

Offline c-ponter

• Salutes: 14
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2015, 03:06:51 am »
Bit off topic but seeing all the stats about how long a player stays made me think. Of the 4 friends I either bought the game with or convinced to buy it, they all stayed roughly 10 hrs total game time, and they all give the exact same reason for leaving. Its not that they kept losing to higher PvP players or found a long time to get into a game. Every single one of them said "the game is great fun at first, but gets repetitive extremely quickly. As an engineer you just run around hitting the same old components. As a gunner it is almost a point-and-click game. The pilot is the only class that stays fun." Obviously 4 out of how every many thousands is next to nothing, mu point is that the game, from my experience at least is fun at first, then gets a bit boring, then is fun again once you understand it more. The question is how to make that slightly repetitive middle stage more diverse?

Offline Koali

• Salutes: 56
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2015, 12:08:33 pm »
@c-ponter

Troll builds.

Munker, Flak Spire, Flare Mobula, Minotaur Galleon...

Offline Mattilald Anguisad

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 12
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2015, 12:28:31 pm »
You know nothing Jon Snow :P

Depends on what you add to the flak on the spire, but the Flak Spire is a "legit" build.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2015, 12:46:47 pm »
^ also minotaur is arguably best on a galleon.

Offline Koali

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 06, 2015, 05:39:04 pm »
@Mattilald Anguisad

I mean ALL flak.

EVERY. SLOT.

Basically guaranteed to get no kills, unless teamed with a cannon Spire, which is Minotaur and Hades.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 06, 2015, 06:25:16 pm »
A crowd gathered. The ones who were involved and the ones who didn't. They saw it. There was no mistake, it was the end. They saw the body twisted with a disease, a terrible disease that they all hoped never to see again. They didn't know what was more overwhelming - sadness or disgust. They were trying so hard... Everything was going good. So far. They luck ended here. It came like always... Sudden. Fast. Painful. The sun was setting. It was time. One of them stepped forward and sighed slowly. He knew what to do. He said with a loud, clear voice:
-Gentlemen! We managed to keep very important and serious thread derail-clean for 7 pages! Bravo everyone, it was a good run.
He started clapping his hands energically. A single tear flickered on his cheek.
-Damn, I'm proud, truly proud guys. You are the best. It was... it was truly... *sniff* ... it was great. Okay, move along, we have to move this thing to the pit. Next time we'll hit 8 pages guys, I know we can make it!

Derailers... (including (sic!) a CA)

Offline Koali

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2015, 06:39:16 pm »
Aight man next time just PM us?

Actually don't, it amuses me when you do this.

AAAAAANYHOO I haven't had many good matches lately, mostly as a product of never being online at the same time as the rest of my clan. I don't think it's so much a matter of the game being a fluke as it is a rash of bad luck with the matchmaker.

No, scratch that, it's the matchmaker.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 06:41:25 pm by Koali »

Offline ZnC

• Salutes: 40
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2015, 03:36:53 pm »
Every single one of them said "the game is great fun at first, but gets repetitive extremely quickly. As an engineer you just run around hitting the same old components. As a gunner it is almost a point-and-click game. The pilot is the only class that stays fun." Obviously 4 out of how every many thousands is next to nothing, mu point is that the game, from my experience at least is fun at first, then gets a bit boring, then is fun again once you understand it more. The question is how to make that slightly repetitive middle stage more diverse?

What I really enjoy about GOIO is that it involves using game knowledge to devise a plan which you have to execute as a team. Whenever I learn or discover something new about the game, I really want to try it out. However, for this to happen my team needs to be willing to let me try things and learn (and I thank the many pilots & crew who have).

This is why when I pilot, I set only a few rules and then trust my crew members to make decisions (e.g. loadout choices, in-game situations) - maybe they know a better way to do something that I don't.
Certainly, this is not very effective with less experienced players, but allow good players to shine more and have fun their way.

There always seem to be something new to learn about the game, however the fun is different for everyone.

Offline Dr Brobotnik

• Salutes: 9
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2015, 06:23:21 pm »
I never stopped enjoying this game. It was a blast to jump into at any time from the start and to me, it still is. It maintains what makes me adore it to bits: simplistic yet heavy teamwork focused gameplay, voice communication being almost a neccessity, and lobbies that are just full of laughs for everyone.
I think the real problem is how people tend to focus so much on things that they think should be there, so that they forget to appriciate what they have. Making something with the intent of being as appealing as possible to hundreds, and later thousands of people is never an easy task. If nothing else, I can appriciate how the Muse team does their best to find the best way and shows no fear in the face of trying new things. It's just a game to you and me, but to them, it's their life and everything they worked for.
I'm not willing to give up on such a dream just because of a few bumps in the road. I patch my wheels up and enjoy the ride. Because at the end of the day, I'd much rather ride with somebody who believes strongly than somebody who just considers me an object of revenue - regardless of how competent the driver is.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 06:27:05 pm by Dr Brobotnik »