Author Topic: Pilot Stamina (Pilot OP, plz nerf)  (Read 10534 times)

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Pilot Stamina (Pilot OP, plz nerf)
« on: May 03, 2015, 12:05:30 pm »
Pilot stamina thread

Engineer stamina thread
Gunner stamina thread

Now that stamina is out of devapp and in full test mode, we can discuss likes/dislikes and suggestions more broadly.

Stamina for pilots is scary, and is the only real game changer in the new update. Fast ships get much more of a benefit from the stamina 'tool', so it is basically a free buff to Squid, Goldfish, and Mobula (vert). The other ships don't get a whole lot relatively.

The worst part for me so far is that I have not yet rebound any keys, so I had to put stamina on Alt. I keep hitting space by mistake and jumping off the helm. Spacebar will be my new stamina key next time I log in. Shift is party chat for me, and Z Teamspeak.

So, now that stamina has seen real combat over many matches, what are your thoughts on pilot stamina? What could be improved? What is not balanced? What additions/removals would you make?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 12:20:17 pm by Richard LeMoon »

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: Pilot Stamina (Pilot OP, plz nerf)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 12:51:08 pm »
Very beneficial, but only on the use of tools.

On my spire, i fly into cover real fast if i combine kyrosine/moonshine + stamina. Ramming for all ships is now pretty viable with drogue chute allowing for impact bumper effects.

Outside of tools, it feels wasted, specialy if none of the components you are using are buffed.
So in most cases stamina enhances your tools more than the ship.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 12:58:20 pm »
It's too many buttons, because of that I tend to forget its existence. I unbound the spacebar thing, but sometimes when I want to use the 3rd or 4th) pilot tool I still press "E".

I tend to use it to get an acceleration boost in any direction, making it more of an extra emergency tool for me. Also to make up for the lack of phoenix claw on the Mobula, so it decreases the disadvantages it has.
It somewhat negates the reason to have buff, but then again, everybody has stamina so you might still need buff to get that manouverbilty advantage or to even it out again.
Pilot stamina increases the skill gap between the ships that are good at this game and the ships that are less good at this game.

If pilot stamina will be changed, it should be more than an alternate pilot tool and do something that the pilot actually could need. People said something about going 3rd person or activating some Sonar ability to find ships, like the old drums.

Fun fact, engineer and gunner can both recharge their Stamina, by rebuilding (engineer) or destroying (gunner) a component, while the pilot can only recharge when his ship gets a kill, which also recharges the other classes stamina, making the pilot's stamina more valuable.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 01:12:20 pm »
I feel your struggle with the too many buttons as a pilot. I am trying some key bindings to work around it. Right click kinda works but is weird. However I like it. Its short enough and charges slow enough that it works well in emergency situations without totally re balancing the game.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 02:50:19 pm »
Yeah, the way I coped was simply to use more fingers to mentally split up the inputs. With the default keyboard controls your mouse hand is underused, and it can get confusing trying to do everything with one hand.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 02:53:35 pm by Omniraptor »

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 06:06:40 pm »
the same point as months ago.

Why even bother with stamina for pilot if tool use does the same thing anyway.

Is skill stacking really an innovation? Because to me thats just pointless clutter.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 07:41:44 pm »
They weren't trying to fundamentally change the game Max, just add a new component to it. Basically the scale is now 1-11 instead of 1-10.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 08:03:20 pm »
Shift for stamina doesnt bother me much.

If anything, having teamspeak bound to an extra mouse button is what i have and opens the keyboard for gameplay. Because really, all i do with the mouse is move around and click. May aswell add another click :P

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 08:26:41 pm »
I moved stamina to side mouse button. I didn't do this in dev app but now in actual gameplay, I shifted it quickly. The shift placement is natural for the sprint nature of Stamina but I often found I'd be reaching for pilot tool and for stamina at the same time. Fingers would fumble a little. So mouse has worked better.

Stamina is fine as is. I'd personally like a little more power and time of it but this was a decent compromise. It was tuned well from the dev app.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 08:53:33 pm »
What ships have you tried it on? Galleon shows almost no change. Goldfish is crazy.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 09:08:52 pm »
I've found the best use of pilot stamina is for accelerating to a different vector and it's great for vertical movement. It's especially useful against balloon locking in combo with hydro (although h carro was nerfed too much). I think the vertical bonus needs to be decreased, thrust bonus is ok.

I'm under the opinion that movement, voice, number, and throttle keys need to be accessible simultaneously with no overlap. Literally every accessible key was taken so my stamina is middle mouse.

Offline Daft Loon

• Salutes: 47
    • [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 11:11:23 pm »
Ive found so far that even without a unique pilot recharge ability and paying little attention to conserving it stamina is almost allways full enough when i need it (mostly repositioning a brawling mobula & oppertunistic ramming from light carronade type distance with kerosene + stamina).

Anyone see any use for it outside medium-short range? I havent seen much stabilising benefit from the drag increase as far as sniping goes.

I wonder how much difference it can make to the 'jump' you can get from a buffed balloon + hydro on a mobula and if there is any use for that.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 12:49:31 am »
I Shoryuken'd a Junker with a Squid and insta killed it (well it's armor was low or close to down), but the fact I was able to do something that hasn't been possible since 1.1 says a lot. Fun factor is back...now if Muse would only fix the Pyra, the original Shoryuken master so it doesn't fold up like a pack of used tissues before it ever gets close to another ship. Honestly I think next time I see a Pyra I'm gonna Shoryuken it to death to prove a point of how weak it is. In the past even attempting such a move with a Squid would be insta death. Now...lose balloon for sure but theres no fear of more than that with how squishy it is.

I stamina for everything. But often times it is used with tools. I tried going back to classic build with tar but stamina just doesn't provide enough speed to make it viable. If the Squid was bumped up in speed to stamina level speed before stamina, then I could shift from kero and use tar more. But the accel is just so slow on the squid that evasion with only stamina wasn't enough, still need kero.

I've been able to see Galleon pilots using stamina. It is very clear to me but not as pronounced as other ships. Even more when you spectate a match. Heck you know when someone uses stamina instantly when spectating. The Fish is very quick with it. No doubt. That isn't a bad thing. But it's a bit too tanky now. In terms of ships I generally avoid fighting, Junker = #1, Goldfish is now #2, Other Squids would be #3 because lets face it, they rebuild so quick that its often more viable to balloon ram at full speed with gat blazing than it is to mortar kill. You either severely cripple them in the ram or you are chasing them all over till you get a gat kill. Junkers still take forever to cut through armor and the Fish are so mobile that with the fast rebuild and beefy hull, its hard to land enough shots. Pyras, Mobulas...just a laugh. Spires, pose some threat but can't usually catch me so I can deal with them to a degree. Galleons...a laugh but a long to kill laugh.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 01:02:16 pm »
I have been using stamina in place of hydrogen and chute vent to augment vertical mobility. It doesn't feel like it does much for lateral mobility with the drag increase. It is nice to have a way to augment ship performance that does not damage components.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 04:53:22 pm »
at long range it is still useful to juke hwacha volleys or heavy flak shots.