Author Topic: GOI usb custom controller  (Read 19131 times)

Offline BinaryDragon

• Salutes: 3
    • [CURE]
    • View Profile
GOI usb custom controller
« on: April 27, 2015, 10:13:46 am »
I have been playing GOI for around a year now. I usually play as captains. There are some things that are hard when playing as a captain. You need to communicate with your team while flying the ship. This means that you have to hold down a lot of  buttons.  I tend to use the build in signals (repair the engines, man the fore guns) combined with my voice. So I figured, why not just build a custom controller for the purpose, and that's what I did

The  main features of the controller is it's ability to toggle things on and off. Instead of having to press down w for 20 seconds because you need to increase altitude you simply toggle the controller to increase altitude and toggle it off when you reached your desired hight.

Here is a video :

https://vid.me/dzxI

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: GOI usb custom controller
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 11:31:11 am »
Holy shit! Thats awesome!

Can you post if possible a controler cam with gameplay? Since you probably know how to play with it.
This is amazing. Im just wierded out. Like i dont think ide ever play with that. But looks interresting.

Offline Dev Bubbles

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 55
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 12:02:47 pm »
If you have a spare, we would like one!  I'll pay for the build and the shipping. 

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 02:24:14 pm »
"Instead of holding 3 or 4 buttons at a time that really can't be done"

I can press up to 6 at once. bumpers triggers whatever my thumb pressed.

its nice and everything but not exactly ergonomically designed to be held like an actual controller. Only trouble I have with my 360 controller is specific tools selection (as I generally use toggle) which only allows for slot 1.

and the other finicky thing is aiming which I use the mouse for. As for normal movement thats binded to my left and right stick.

So unless you mod a 360 controller to have 3 extra buttons along the back and change the right stick into a touch pad... I personally have no use for it.

That being said what you achieved is pretty cool. It shows potential of what you could make.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 05:25:25 pm »
Kinda what some gaming keyboards can do. You set up macros and can configure autofire like this.  It would solve some problems if the user is using stock key layout. But one of the first things I tell new pilots is, is to change their layout. Especially throttle. Shift those to the mouse buttons and adjust any others so they aren't straining their hands to control the ship. I actually moved my map button to mouse finally too so I don't have to change finger placement on the board to reach it. So you can get much more optimal layouts.

Real trouble with making a custom GOIO controller comes in when you have to consider that GOIO is 2 games in one. You have your FPS and then your pseudo flight sim. While the controls are similar, you can't get the same effect with say a steering wheel or joystick. At best you are looking at is a gamepad being able to emulate it. However, pads will still be weaker on aiming and looking.

This is a big problem Star Citizen has right now as there is a crowd who wants joystick play and those who want key/mouse. Trouble is, they are trying to make a do all game so key/mouse is the only real viable control setup. Lot of pledgers are fussy because of that. Course I can understand that, if the game was a pure space flight sim game with no FPS moments then joystick would be desired. Just like if GOIO was solely a pilot's game then you could make a real awesome controller with a wheel setup.

Offline BinaryDragon

• Salutes: 3
    • [CURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 05:25:44 am »
The controller is meant to compliment the mouse and keyboard, not replace them.  There are a lot of easier ways to achieve, what I did with the controller. Simple macro programming could get all the functionality bound to hotkeys on your keyboard. Mapping extra buttons on gaming mice and keyboard, is another option. 

in the video I say that it is impossible to hold down 3-4 keys at a time. Obviously this can be done; I meant it is impossible to send in game commands (repair the balloon) and push to talk, while operating the ship, in  intense battles. The point of the device is to be able to set a course and stay on it until new commands are given. 

I don't know if the device actually improves in game skill level. But I enjoyed building it, it was a fun project.

I will post a video controller cam and game play later.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 06:26:50 am »
Well that is something for those with basic keyboards or laptops. Yeah in those cases if I can't move controls to a mouse, I'd want another option.

Gaming keyboards can handle more keystrokes but they don't always advertise it. I've heard even some of the low end ones are poor in this aspect yet still claim to be gaming. I tend to go membrane boards cause the Cherry ones are always overpriced for what you get imo. There are features that the membranes do which the Cherries don't, at least not for the same price. Not just the feel/etc but just ultimately what the board can do with macros/etc. You either pay through the nose for a full featured Cherry board, or you get a cheap Cherry that doesn't do squat. There is no middle ground. But the membranes have a middle ground. Just some companies try to exploit that. Deliver a full featured board but with sub par quality.

TTesports is a big offender here. Got one for half off, Challenger Ultimate. Nice board but within a few weeks the paint on the keys started coming off. Really start to see the shoddy build quality coming through. Then I realized, literally the were charging insane markup for crap. Was even more glad I didn't pay anywhere near full price. Next board I got, I spent weeks researching. Finally settled on the Logitech G510s. Logitech quality has suffered over the years but man is this thing soo much better than the TT. No cheap paint on the keys or cheap plastic for other parts. Another membrane but for the same price I'd have gotten a Cherry with poor key illumination and no extra features.

Offline Elazul

• Salutes: 7
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 02:29:57 pm »
What a cool custom project! The gears were a nice touch.  :)

This makes me wonder if anyone uses a gaming wheel and throttle when they play as pilot.

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 08:28:11 am »
To help with my gameplay, I have an MMO style mouse with 12 buttons on the side. This enables me to plan exactly what buttons I need so that I do not technically press any buttons on my keyboard apart from the ship/movement controls.
To give you an idea, here is the typical layout of my mouse:
Architecture:
3          6          9          12
2          5          8          11
1          4          7          10

Allocation:
1 = button 1
2 = button 2
3 = button 3
4 = button 4
5 = button X
8 = button C

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 12:15:01 pm »
I have been thinking of getting a Makey Makey or ripping apart a USB keyboard to do this, aside from the joystick thing. I like my mouse.

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 12:22:46 pm »
I have been thinking of getting a Makey Makey or ripping apart a USB keyboard to do this, aside from the joystick thing. I like my mouse.

Why not get one of these Richard LeMoon?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ZeleSouris-Gameboard-Backlights-Crysisetc-Diamond-shaped/dp/B00DAXPT00/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1431102189&sr=8-2&keywords=keypad

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 07:15:54 pm »
Because it is ugly as hell and does nothing I would want, maybe?

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2015, 07:57:42 pm »
"Ergonomic Design"

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2015, 03:26:21 am »
Yeah, it is ugly, and does not look every well designed.

To clarify, I thought it would be a good USB device to rip apart as you said.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2015, 11:03:58 am »
I was thinking more along the lines of a wireless so I can toss it out of the way. Sorry for misinterpreting.