Author Topic: New Fangled Tesla Gun  (Read 13526 times)

Offline Netheron

• Salutes: 1
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
New Fangled Tesla Gun
« on: April 18, 2015, 11:15:04 pm »
Anyone have a take on the new Tesla weapon that we got a peek at in the weekly update?

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: New Fangled Tesla Gun
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 09:19:16 am »
https://youtu.be/TT0tLBTTD48?t=26

How 'bout you take y'er newfangled "this" and "that" 'for I throw them overboard!

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 10:22:20 am »
not really new fangled as the game has always had tesla right from the first prototype.

its about time it finally comes to online.

Offline Netheron

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 05:20:05 pm »
not really new fangled as the game has always had tesla right from the first prototype.

its about time it finally comes to online.

Really? I was not aware... has it had any specific traits linked to it? or just a weapon model/projectile?

Offline Extirminator

• Salutes: 56
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 04:42:42 am »
Really? I was not aware... has it had any specific traits linked to it? or just a weapon model/projectile?

As far as I am aware, the weapon was intended in it's prototype to be a similar weapon to the flamer.
A particle weapon, with quite short range, high fire rate, large clip size, and mediocre amount of shatter damage per shot. So it is pretty good at destroying mechanical components as you'd expect from electric weapons - little to none damage to armor, balloon and hull(as they are not vulnerable to electricity) and the bulk of the damage dealt to components.

Now that is what I believe was intended of the tesla gun in it's prototype state, minor tweaks have probably happen since then and it'll look a bit different mechanics-wise.

Keep in mind that muse specifically said that we cannot expect anymore new weapons/maps/ships in skirmish mode until coop comes out, so this gun is most likely - if released, to be released in coop and then later on if found to be balanced enough be put in skirmish.
So don't get your hopes up.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 01:07:52 pm »
eh in guns classic it was just a single shot lightning gun. Like the classic version of merc.

Offline Netheron

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 12:03:16 am »

As far as I am aware, the weapon was intended in it's prototype to be a similar weapon to the flamer.
A particle weapon, with quite short range, high fire rate, large clip size, and mediocre amount of shatter damage per shot. So it is pretty good at destroying mechanical components as you'd expect from electric weapons - little to none damage to armor, balloon and hull(as they are not vulnerable to electricity) and the bulk of the damage dealt to components.

Now that is what I believe was intended of the tesla gun in it's prototype state, minor tweaks have probably happen since then and it'll look a bit different mechanics-wise.

Keep in mind that muse specifically said that we cannot expect anymore new weapons/maps/ships in skirmish mode until coop comes out, so this gun is most likely - if released, to be released in coop and then later on if found to be balanced enough be put in skirmish.
So don't get your hopes up.

Probably best it comes in co-op anyways, should be really good for knocking down all of those planes. I do hope it makes it into skirmish eventually, just for fun at the least  :)

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 03:06:49 pm »
It would be a fantastic choice for a heavy piercing gun with shatter, but (unless we rabble-rouse) Howard said it will never be in pvp.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 04:53:18 pm »
It would be a fantastic choice for a heavy piercing gun with shatter, but (unless we rabble-rouse) Howard said it will never be in pvp.

But...

But...

I wanna giant H.Flak like cannon ;-;

Offline Saull

• Salutes: 4
    • [☥Ra☼]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 06:19:55 pm »
Well in our little preview pic it does look like its being shot from a Spire so that does imply it being a heavy weapon but that makes me wonder if all of the new faction unlocked weapons will be boss ship weapons which, due to their size, would most likely be heavy weapons. I would hope/ expect that the new ships/weapons will be split down the middle between heavy and light for the sake of variety balance but its sorta weird to think of what kind of unique light weapon would be fitting for a faction's boss ship.

Offline SirNotlag

• Salutes: 17
    • [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 08:19:36 pm »
but its sorta weird to think of what kind of unique light weapon would be fitting for a faction's boss ship.

LAZERS!

Offline Saull

• Salutes: 4
    • [☥Ra☼]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 08:50:50 pm »

Offline Extirminator

• Salutes: 56
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 05:46:56 am »

Well in our little preview pic it does look like its being shot from a Spire so that does imply it being a heavy weapon but that makes me wonder if all of the new faction unlocked weapons will be boss ship weapons which, due to their size, would most likely be heavy weapons. I would hope/ expect that the new ships/weapons will be split down the middle between heavy and light for the sake of variety balance but its sorta weird to think of what kind of unique light weapon would be fitting for a faction's boss ship.

There are both heavy and light variants of mostly every gun in the game or everything you could ever think of that would be plausible - in the code. Its just a matter of balance and weapon model designs.

All the way from heavy mine launchers to heavy Hades weapons. It just needs to be tested, tweaked, modeled and decided if worth implementing... Which all takes time.

LAZERS!

And yes, there are also heavy and light variants of light beam weapons that I assume to be laser-like weapons because of their raycast type.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 05:51:24 am by Extirminator »

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 10:56:01 am »
Taking a look at the tesla gun...

I don't know how effective it'd be in PvP. Because ships don't clutter together too much.

But in Co-op/Adventure, it'd be cool. I'm expecting there will be some "minion" ships that require the bug zapper.

Offline Ashunera

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2015, 04:43:46 pm »
https://youtu.be/TT0tLBTTD48?t=26

How 'bout you take y'er newfangled "this" and "that" 'for I throw them overboard!

Never before have I found a fellow Abney park fan, you sir.. I love you.