Author Topic: Verdun Tournament  (Read 16238 times)

Offline Keyvias

• Salutes: 83
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Re: Verdun Tournament
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 02:08:13 pm »
Hey guys,

Just wanted to hop in here since there appears to be a bit of heat. I don't consider this a Guns of Icarus official concern so definitely feel free to take this as just me hoping in with my two cents and you're also free tell me to screw off (just remember to be nice to each other.)

My only issue was this being in the community events section, which is definitely a Guns only kind of place, but with it moved to off-topic, I personally don't see any problem. I consider it a compliment that people want our community to play in other games (just goes to show how awesome you all are :D)

As far as the competitive scene, you're right we're not as hands on as we could be.  We've found the best events are run by players and our goal is always to support them with prizes, announcements, and anything else we can do to help with the organizers. I will say MLG was a bit more complex and frustrating than I want to go into here (I have a bit of rage on this topic, so I'll hold my tongue.) Definitely wish the Verdun devs the best of luck on this front since it is a lot of work, but very rewarding to get it kickstarted if their players help follow through.

So, as long as this is listed as non-guns of icarus, enjoy! 

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2015, 02:13:28 pm »
If you think this is chest thumping or poo flinging thats fine, your opinion. I thought I was trying to clear the air. Just like you admit to being a jerk, I'll admit to being painfully honest. If thats poo flinging fine.

I thought I was clearing up my intentions, perhaps it didn't translate over the interwebs, perhaps you missed it. I stated earlier, I wasn't sure of the community events forum was correct. That was an honest mistake, I thought I made that obvious. I also thought I said I have no intention in converting the community. If you don't believe that fine, but that's what it is. This has been clearly stated now, and if you continue to insinuate anything else, than it is your poo flinging and not anything I have said.

It was also my mistake to assume you were a nice guy. Now I did not know you very well before, and because you were a CA I assumed you were not a jerk. So seeing as how this behaviour is new to my knowledge only after you joined SPQR is why I guessed at a connection. You said there is no connection so fair enough.

I'm sorry but I don't have the time to individually PM every member of this board as to whether or not they play Verdun. I actually have been talking to other clan members who do play it, and that went with my intention of seeing if there were additional GOIO players who I may not know who may also play it. I thought it might be fun to compete together in a different environment. That was my intention, plain and simple. You don't like it fine, you don't like it on these boards, fine, all your opinions. However, you are not a moderator, dev nor a CA anymore so unless they tell me I have severely crossed a line than you are getting greatly agitated for your own reasons. Don't place anger vicariously through them. I talk to Howard quite a bit, if I offended him than I would apologize personally. I haven't got any messages yet.

Finally onto Timmy. I brought it up because you specifically mentioned my clan. Well my clan and our competitive team are actually based around my experiences competing with him. So I thought it was quite relevant to clear up how I hope you understand my team. I don't know why you think he's always mentioned, or even why that would be a bad thing. There was a thing from Muse back in March because it was the anniversary of his death. Other than that I can't think of much. He might get mentioned on the boards from time to time, but I don't think it has any point other than admiration or respect from people who knew him. If you don't like it then just ignore it. Whether or not you agree or know about his contribution to competitive community is your opinion, it doesn't matter it was a different time and you weren't even competing then. I can tell you that I thought he was an amazing buff engineer, or that he knew a banshee like a beast before it was a thing, or that he worked a lot trying to work with the other clans at the other time, but I didn't need to. Those that were there knew, and he's remembered by those people.

With the accusation again, I pity that you are so distrustful and suspicious but thats just not the case. I dont have the time to care or plan baiting. You are overestimating me.

I'm sorry to hear you don't believe I respect Muse. Or at least, the vast majority of them. However, the great thing about freedom is the ability to respect one another but still disagree. To be able to voice opinions. If I didn't care about this game I wouldn't be trying to poach people. I wouldn't be figuratively on my knees screaming for them to change things. I would just walk, away stop playing. It would be a lot easier. Some of us care but want change, and we don't need to agree to everything or brown nose to like this game. And this where I will be leaving this discussion. I hope you understand I've done my best to be frank and honest here.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2015, 02:16:13 pm »
Hey guys,

Just wanted to hop in here since there appears to be a bit of heat. I don't consider this a Guns of Icarus official concern so definitely feel free to take this as just me hoping in with my two cents and you're also free tell me to screw off (just remember to be nice to each other.)

My only issue was this being in the community events section, which is definitely a Guns only kind of place, but with it moved to off-topic, I personally don't see any problem. I consider it a compliment that people want our community to play in other games (just goes to show how awesome you all are :D)

As far as the competitive scene, you're right we're not as hands on as we could be.  We've found the best events are run by players and our goal is always to support them with prizes, announcements, and anything else we can do to help with the organizers. I will say MLG was a bit more complex and frustrating than I want to go into here (I have a bit of rage on this topic, so I'll hold my tongue.) Definitely wish the Verdun devs the best of luck on this front since it is a lot of work, but very rewarding to get it kickstarted if their players help follow through.

So, as long as this is listed as non-guns of icarus, enjoy!

I actually didn't know that you felt that about them. I was really interested in this getting MLG attention so if you ever do need any assistance trying to work with them I'd be glad to pitch in. I just assumed you guys didn't care about the MLG thing. Perhaps if you made public some of the strain that happened we'd know why it didn't happen. I'd be a lot less stressed knowing you guys did try.

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2015, 02:50:24 pm »
As predicted, Muse turns the other cheek. I suppose that's better than appearing to use an iron fist though.

Generally I'd just be annoyed at a thread like this cropping up. As I've mentioned, it doesn't belong on these forums period. I've made a lot of examples and comparisons, but you mentioned words are hard. If only I was a better artist. Can someone else chip in here? Pointing out the reason there's a distinct lack of threads like these in any game forum? And if you're just looking for people to fill out your team, and mentioned in the OP, it's still best to just PM people and check with other clans you know.

What 'angered' me is that you openly criticize Muse in the same breath as asking for people to come play another game.
"Come play Verdun, their devs are cool!" vs "Come play Verdun, their devs are cool and Muse sucks!"

Then you defended this with personal attacks on myself and my clan, which was pretty skeevy.

Kind of interesting how this all started out with "Hey, I don't think it's cool for you to be attacking the devs out of the blue while trying to recruit people for another game. And I don't think this is in the right forums."

As for Muse and the competitive scene, they've done a lot for it. They put in the clan system where not just anyone can have any clan tag, clan chat, the community event forums and event listings in game. They opening provide prizes and badges for events, they help organizers get in touch with each other and promote the events in blogs and on the fireside chat. They used to promote and run their own events, but these were often drowned out by community based events, so they've opted to support the community rather than running their own competitive events. They still run two dev matches a week too, which isn't competitive, but neither are a lot of other events people like to participate in.

You can judge and criticize them, but spitting in their face while taking a mess on their carpet is crossing too many lines. My attempt to explain social etiquette and respect (ie: not making a mess on the carpet) has failed miserably. Although the amount of incorrect assumptions made on your part has been pretty enjoyable to watch.

Offline MagKel

• Salutes: 53
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood of GOIO
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2015, 07:34:56 pm »
Well lads, this was our forum thread simulation on how the first World War started, the setting for the game Verdun. It is a nice game and I think you should play the upcoming tournament with us, Hydra
There goes my chance ever to fly on SPQR ships or flying with one.
Cheers

Offline Foxx

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 3
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2015, 03:37:37 pm »
i think the issue is Thomas is seeing it as a malicious attack on Muse while Byron is seeing it as constructive criticism.  Personally, i see it as the latter, but to each their own.

As for this thread, now located in the off topic, if it was for a game that resembled GoIO, then sure i could see how it'd be insulting.  But from my perspective it's akin to going on a battlefield forum, and asking if anyone wants to play this cool racing game they found.  Or going on a minecraft forum to play a co-op puzzle game.  It's just not the same as going on to that same battlefield forum and trying to get peeps to play CoD.