Author Topic: Light Harpoon  (Read 20288 times)

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Light Harpoon
« on: April 12, 2015, 03:24:22 am »
I think we all agree that  Harpoon doesnt have a particular place nor a demand for a place in the list of viable weapons. It gains you speed alright, but it should also be a fairly good tool for chasing. Tested that out yesterday and found that even something with such a small mass as squid could fly away the harpoon until it detached. I think the main problem with harpoon is how inconsistent it is. It's shot spread is affected by ship movement as if you're Indiana Jones running from a collapsing cave and thus is hard to aim, and very unforgiving when you miss thanks to the reload time. While guns with much shorter reloads can be muuuch more effective than harpoon.

Overall, it's both hard to pick up and master, compared to something like Minotaur, which also revolves around controlling airships' movement but does a much better job and is easier to use. The current harpoon definitely needs some kind of buff or else it'll be best at what it does now: An achievement grinding tool.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
Re: Light Harpoon
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 04:05:02 am »
The only viable place for a harpoon in a non joke build is on the back of a galleon. But that's about it. It needs some kind of a buff, that's for sure.

Offline MightyKeb

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 04:32:24 am »
The only viable place for a harpoon in a non joke build is on the back of a galleon. But that's about it. It needs some kind of a buff, that's for sure.

Yeah, and somewhat of a viability for the galleon's side aswell. Some basic ideas from me is to make the shot go straighter-ish (much less affected by ship movement) and buff the damage to just around the current lochnagar for increased effect.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 06:21:30 am »
back of a squid is also a serious harpoon placement
It is bad on the side of a galleon

imho it could use a slight damage buff/increase in projectile speed - the gun is harder to shoot than its utility deserves

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 08:14:23 am »
It also needs an increase in pull force, massively.  Me and Keb tested it, and the Squid slowed down MAYBE enough for my Pyra to get into arc, but not really.  Needs an increase to pulling force, and maybe an immediate reduction in speed for the enemy.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 09:40:31 am »
speak for yourself.

AI uses it all the time to counter mino and munkers.

destroyed my engines? Have a moonshine speed ram anyway BECAUSE POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

Offline MagKel

• Salutes: 53
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood of GOIO
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 09:42:50 am »
how about much longer duration and controllable (right click) pulling, except that if the operator leaves the weapon the rope is severed? It could become an effective controller, still hard and unforgiving to shoot.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 10:00:41 am »
how about much longer duration and controllable (right click) pulling, except that if the operator leaves the weapon the rope is severed? It could become an effective controller, still hard and unforgiving to shoot.

And yet AI consistently hit with it because of the maaaaaagic of lesmok (and bucket loads of arc training with hades and lumberjack).

Long range poon. so hilarious.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 10:05:24 am »
Its not about a buff, but rather a fix. Simply how the harpoon works, works also against you. Which is why the harpoon gets flak.

Currently, you can use harpoon as a reverse minotaur where you pull an enemys arcs away from an ally. But its hard to hit with, and will also fudge you up.

Offline MightyKeb

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 10:22:14 am »
Its not about a buff, but rather a fix. Simply how the harpoon works, works also against you. Which is why the harpoon gets flak.

Currently, you can use harpoon as a reverse minotaur where you pull an enemys arcs away from an ally. But its hard to hit with, and will also fudge you up.

Meanwhile, you can just load mino on your ship, click a few times at the side of a pyra and voila! Raycast magic.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 10:28:56 am »
Perhaps a buff that revolves around how your ship is less affected, but the enemy is more affected?
I once considered on a hwacha goldfish to have a harpoon on the left side, in multi tasking enemy disabilities. It actualy worked when we hit. One guy fully disabled, the other guy is spending 10 or more seconds steadying while our ally galleon slowly comes in.  Problem? I was at that pulled enemy since pyras are much heavier than goldfishes.

Offline The Sky Wolf

• Salutes: 43
    • [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2015, 12:48:25 pm »
If the harpoon actually worked the way it should, then we'd have to be worried about boarding! You know Muse doesn't want that!

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2015, 01:11:59 pm »
One of the main issues with the harpoon is the massively broken mass. The pyra is the second smallest ship in the game, yet is one of the heaviest. Reason? To make it ram better... which has now been nerfed so ramming is a real gamble. Mass is one of the main factors in how the harpoon works.

The second issue is the velocity. An increase in speed and reduction of drop was being tested, but fell by the wayside somewhere.

The third issue is that even when connected, it does so little damage to anything, and rarely hits exactly where you need to get the effect you desire.

The last issue is the painfully slow reload.

I'll poke the devs about testing a harpoon with higher velocity, lower drop, more damage (especially to balloon), the ability to hook balloon as well as hull, severely reduced range  and a slightly lower reload speed.

Offline SirNotlag

• Salutes: 17
    • [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2015, 03:48:23 pm »
I think it needs a full on rework not just fiddling with numbers.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2015, 04:35:38 pm »
I won't argue with that. I t has never worked the way it should. I am still in favor of just removing it completely until the physics can be fixed. But, since I don't see that happening, fiddling with the numbers is the best we are going to get.