Author Topic: Map hazards  (Read 6200 times)

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
Map hazards
« on: April 11, 2015, 08:47:10 pm »
Thinking about it.

This is a war about rummaging through old age war relics. Surely you messing around with that stuff would cause all sorts of accidents as well as auto defense mechanisms activating.

I find it weird that refinery doesn't have ANY automated anti-air guns or missiles when someone is trying to cap.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Map hazards
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 09:06:41 pm »
This could be one of the things that transitions from co-op to skirmish.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 09:13:03 pm »
I want destructible terrain. I would love map hazards. What if, instead of the unnatural wind, the edge of the map was kept by a line of enemy defenses? Ground-to-Air defenses that increases in power further you go out of the map?

And maybe even a GOIO AoS?

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 09:21:35 pm »
on some maps the wind makes sense.

Other maps walls of debris would also work as an actual barrier (duels cutting off ppl because of a huge pile of debris).

On others still automated guns would make sense. Like trying to leave duels results in you getting shot down.

or even a massive storm on the outside. Though many maps are square shaped so... trying to justify a square shaped deterrence would be difficult.

Offline David Dire

• Salutes: 62
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 09:31:40 pm »
Factory buidlings that would explode upon ram/a few mortar shots, and consume any ship within the range in fire?

Also random debri that falls off of tall structures and deals medium impact damage would be cool.

Even a map where it looks like you're in the middle of a battle, and random artillery shots would explode in the sky, doing damage, and sometimes burning ships would fall out of the clouds above and crush you.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 09:38:12 am »
What I think smash went wrong where guns can do right. Is that stage hazards are completely due to a player's actions.

Including trying to leave map or interacting with something.

Though I guess it only really makes sense in co-op mode. In pvp everyone wants final destination.

Offline MagKel

• Salutes: 53
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood of GOIO
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 09:44:58 am »
i keep saying that I want a map in the eye of a giant, slowly moving hurricane where if you touch the walls you get pulled up and receive hull damage.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 10:12:32 am »
I think better design of borders is better. Like buildings you cant fly over, or thick dust/cloud clarifying the edge.

But at times this invisible edge that pushes you back makes for a super anime moment where you are a sniper, someone gangs up on you, and your starting to get pushed back.
Que in Speedracer: Ooo! Imattheveryedgeofthe border! Imgettingpushedbackrightintohim!

Then again, a visual indiciating why you wouldnt want to fly there would be nice other than map edges.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 01:35:53 pm »
So you guys want something that tells you about the border of the map?
I kind of like the openness of the map borders. Maybe something more subtle like a glowing white wall that is only visible when you are really close to it?

Back to topic, would like to see map Hazards too. There is already rain and freeze effects on some maps. Maybe those could actually do something other than look visually nice? Lighting should be introduced at a later point too.