Author Topic: What do you name your ships and why?  (Read 87542 times)

Offline David Dire

• Salutes: 62
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
Re: What do you name your ships and why?
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2015, 12:19:59 pm »

And this, dear children, is the pit, a natural habitat of Replacable

What lies far beyond those doors is where I am.

Offline Tanya Phenole

• Salutes: 92
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2015, 04:25:17 pm »
I named my pyramidion after the Kobi Levi. This is a designer from Israel who makes awesome ducky shoes!
http://kobilevidesign.com/index.php/footwear/mallard-duck.html
As long as I was obliged to have duck-related ship names, I used this name for ship. It also refrs to Levi Mann, a fellow duck member.

Offline Saull

• Salutes: 4
    • [☥Ra☼]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2015, 06:56:23 pm »
I think my favorite name is the for my mobula. I've always really liked the ship but when it first came out it was often regarded as too difficult to engineer/coordinate and therefore worthless despite its rather fancy exterior design and overwhelming forward firepower. So I named it Caveat Emptor which means buyer beware and is also a legal principle which states "that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made."

My Squid is named after a fancy dagger called a Kalis.
My goldfish is call Antei which a Japanese word meaning equilibrium/stability because it was my most favored ship for a while.
The Pyra and Spire just have names that reflect their design: Forward Fire and Tower Spiral
and the Junker and galleon have dumb names that seemed fitting: Reave and Von Brom

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2015, 06:46:56 am »
I think my favorite name is the for my mobula. I've always really liked the ship but when it first came out it was often regarded as too difficult to engineer/coordinate and therefore worthless despite its rather fancy exterior design and overwhelming forward firepower.
worthless despite its rather fancy exterior design
fancy exterior design
fancy design
f a n c y
a
n
c
y
FANCY

Offline Ashunera

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2015, 04:41:18 pm »
I always go for names of Elegance. Here are the ones I remember off the top of my Head:

Pyramidion: Theronian (the name of a bomb in Metroid Prime 3)
Spire: Elysia (Planet from metroid prime 3, stems from Greek Elysium)
Junker: Bryyonian (From Bryyo, planet in Metroid Prime 3. can you tell I love that game yet?)
Galleon: Etria (Don't have a source, just came up with it)
Squid: Dreyfus (From henry Dreyfus, American engineer who came up for streamlining on some of the NYC's hudsons)

Golfish and mobula I cannot recall off the top of my head but they are also from elegance.

Offline Koali

• Salutes: 56
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2015, 10:44:31 pm »
Do you need some tinbots to crew your ship?

Offline Ashunera

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2015, 12:15:59 am »
Do you need some tinbots to crew your ship?

Nah, as the plasma beam shows, they would be melted first time we fight somebody with a flamer. Let's get Ghor in here. (Actually, Gandrayda was the best of the three IMO.)

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2015, 08:01:55 am »
Spire - Senpai's Serendipity: Named in honour of the craziness of an April Iron Fork...

Mobula - The Fiery Pantaloons: Named for the shape and of course, a curry I had the night I first used the Mobula.

Pyramidion - The H.M.S Nautilus: Named for many reasons 1) I am from England, 2) Nautilus is a cool name and 3) Have not thought to change it over a year...

Squid - Drop the Squid Beats / CrpArrow3; Given two names in honour of The Bards.

Goldfish - M.C Powerpuff: Named because I am Captain Fabulous, obviously...

Galleon - The Drunken Mann: The name speaks for itself whenever I use the Galleon...

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2015, 08:17:42 am »
Spiur - The Wizard as that is the ship i can perform many things with

Everyother ship - Spells, like:
Mobula - Arcane bolt
Squid - Wind shock
Pyra - Minion summon

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2015, 01:23:45 pm »
All of my ships have been Dark Tower (Stephen King) references shortly after I've started to pilot. Some of the ships have been renamed later on though.

Junker - Lud: Dark tower reference

Spire - Stomp Stick: Spires are sticks that can be used to pub-stomp. Also Rhinos used to stomp.

Mobula - Metacenter Contempt: The mobula looks like it's Metacentric height should cause it to flip upside down as soon as its balance is slightly disturbed.

Pyramidion - Rambtion: ram+ambition = Rambition.

Squid - Discordia: Dark tower reference... Also the Godness fits the ships playstyle.

Goldfish - Mejis: Dark tower reference

Galleon - Gilead: Dark tower reference

Offline Daft Loon

• Salutes: 47
    • [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2015, 08:06:49 pm »
Mostly song references

Pyra - Rosenrot - Rammstein song/album, Rammstein => ramming stone => battering ram and the rosenrot album cover has a frozen ship that reminds me of fjords etc

Junker - Undead son - Tarot song, the junker is made of scrap so its kinda undead

Galleon - EffervescingElephant - Syd Barret song, galleon is big like an elephant and quad hwachas are vaguely effervescent

Sabaton songs:
Goldfish - Ghost Division - song about the blitzkrieg, the goldfish seems like the best ship for rapid overwhelming attacks

Squid - Night Witch - song about russian night bombers, ".....unexpected, undetected ...."

Spire - White Death - song about a famous finnish sniper, still have fewer kills with this ship than the real man

Mobula - Drunken Kereru - Only non song reference - Named for the New Zealand wood pigeon which like the mobula has a distinctly rounded belly, is rather clumsy in flight and has 5 forward facing light guns.......

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2015, 10:33:27 pm »
My ship names are either rave-related (I'm a raver/rave DJ) or named after fonts (typography/graphic design nerd).

Spire: Elysium - named after one of my favorite happy hardcore tunes of all time, by Scott Brown - link to listen: https://youtu.be/GyZiBzbVRgU

Junker: Kandi Rave Party - some ravers in America wear loads of bright plastic bracelets, called 'kandi'.  I'm a kandi kid.

Pyramidion: Boots 'n' Cats - say it out loud repeatedly.  turn on some strobe lights and lasers.  insta-rave

Squid: Budmo Jiggler - the stupidest name for a font I've ever heard, and a goofy-looking font

Galleon: Bodoni Egyptian Pro - slab serif font.  Feels weighty like a galleon, especially bold of course

Goldfish: Helvetica - boring font for boring ship

Mobula: Novecento Wide - because it's wide, duh... though the font itself isn't that wide

pictures of the fonts in question:

Budmo Jiggler:

Bodoni Egyptian Pro:

Helvetica:

Novecento Wide:

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2015, 02:56:34 am »
Spire - Senpai's Serendipity: Named in honour of the craziness of an April Iron Fork...

Mobula - The Fiery Pantaloons: Named for the shape and of course, a curry I had the night I first used the Mobula.

Pyramidion - The H.M.S Nautilus: Named for many reasons 1) I am from England, 2) Nautilus is a cool name and 3) Have not thought to change it over a year...

Squid - Drop the Squid Beats / CrpArrow3; Given two names in honour of The Bards.

Goldfish - M.C Powerpuff: Named because I am Captain Fabulous, obviously...

Galleon - The Drunken Mann: The name speaks for itself whenever I use the Galleon...

Oh I forgot my Junker,

I named my Junker H.M.S Octavarium as I am a huge fan of the band Dream Theater and since I am a Keyboardist, I named my ship in honour of one of their best songs with arguably the best Keyboard Solo in history!

I suppose enemies say "I'm trapped inside this Octavarium!" whenever I try and ram and kill them...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 02:59:22 am by The Mann »

Offline Bartholomew Layton

• Salutes: 1
    • [Oops]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2015, 04:17:53 pm »
Most of the names for my ships are in jokes between me and the rest of my clan. It was a great day to be had by all when we where having the naming ceremony.

Squid - Hentai

I think the joke is fairly obvious on that one.

Galleon - Dynamic Entry

This was mainly because I was shouting that whenever we came out from a dust cloud or fog in front of the enemy.

Pyramidion - Dairy Farmer

It's a bit of a joke but I am know to some of my friends as "that pirate looking fellow" and I am a big fan of the Monkey Island games.

Goldfish -Fartfish

Lots and lots of flamethrowers with that one.

Junker - Pog mo Thoin

This is a throw out to my home. If you know the irish you can guess the meaning.

Spire - Tallest

For it is big and mighty.

Mobula - Honest Mistake

Mainly because it was one, when I first picked that ship.

Most of the names might get changed later on, but I think these will stick around for a while yet.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile