Author Topic: What do you name your ships and why?  (Read 89979 times)

Offline Bartholomew Layton

• Salutes: 1
    • [Oops]
    • View Profile
Re: What do you name your ships and why?
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2015, 04:45:08 pm »
Spire - Tallest

For it is big and mighty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2OsTIEfps4

Yeah that was a factors as well. Mainly cause I screamed like Zim the entire time I was using it.

Offline Mr. Bishop

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2015, 04:50:06 pm »
I'm still a novice, so I only use three ships so far, and I like to change their names a lot. I make their names as references. If you can tell me what they reference, I'll give you a cookie.

Goldfish-G.D.M Rohoph

Pyramidion-Mustard of Doom

Junker-The Mechane

Offline Dr Brobotnik

• Salutes: 9
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2015, 07:37:56 pm »
I don't name it, simply because I don't pilot a ship. I have no faith at all in my ability to lead competent people into battle. I don't even know how to make a ship go up and down, and I'm close to 300 games. I just prefer to be an engineer - that hard working rat who scurries around the ship and helps everyone wherever he can =) It's hard to not love engineers for the effort they put in, and I both receive and try to share that love in abundance. It's all I need =)

Offline OnlyMan.

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2015, 08:58:12 pm »
I named mine after the 7 virtues. Being a Catholic, I've always enjoyed the writing and stories of some of my religions scholars. I wanted to try and almost romanticize my ships with one of the greatest themes of the Roman Catholic Church.

Temperance Spire: Lumberjack, Hades, Light Flack, Mine Launcher

"In knowledge is temperance, in temperance is endurance, in endurance is godliness." 2 Peter 1:6

The definition of temperance is self-restraint. I think that is a apt name for this ship, as a Spire must have plenty of self-restraint to do well. It is a ship that requires control and modesty. It is also my favorite ship in the game :D

Diligence Junker: Meta; 2 Artemis, hades, gat, mortar

"May God, who has caused his Name to dwell there, overthrow any king or people who lifts a hand to change this decree or to destroy this temple in Jerusalem. I Darius have decreed it. Let it be carried out with diligence." Ezra 6:12

Diligence means persistent in your work. This Junker will be persistent in its job. Hurts you from far away, kills you up close.

Chastity Pyramidion: Meta; Gat, mortar, flamethrower, beacon

"For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, slanders." Matthew 15:19

Chastity basically means no sex outside marriage. This is a bit of an ironic name, because, you know, the pyra likes to ram.....hue hue

Charity Goldfish: Lumberjack, flamethrower, beacon flare

"For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in." Matthew 25:35

I actually named this ship its name because of its lack of killing power versus disabling. I view that as charitable

Kindness Mobula:Gat, Mortar, Hades, Light Flak, Mine launcher

"I led them with cords of a man, with bonds of love, And I became to them as one who lifts the yoke from their jaws; And I bent down and fed them." Hosea 11:4

Killing people with kindness.

Patience Galleon: 2 Lumberjacks (same side), Hwacha, Heavy Carronade, gat (side gun), light carronade.

"Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary." Galatians 6:9

Being that the Galleon has the acceleration of a tuna sandwich, I thought this name would fit quite well.

Humility Squid: Mortar, flamethrower, mine launcher

"It is better to be humble in spirit with the lowly Than to divide the spoil with the proud." Proverbs 16:19

I am a terrible squid pilot, which is why I named this ship its name. It is a ship that truly humbles me if I ever get a big head.

Anyway, thats all of them. :D

Offline Ashunera

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2015, 09:56:17 pm »
I'm still a novice, so I only use three ships so far, and I like to change their names a lot. I make their names as references. If you can tell me what they reference, I'll give you a cookie.

Goldfish-G.D.M Rohoph

Pyramidion-Mustard of Doom

Junker-The Mechane

Is the Mechane from Order of the Stick?

Offline Koali

• Salutes: 56
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2015, 10:19:34 pm »
Also, Mustard of Doom is a paraphrase from Fawful.

Offline David Dire

• Salutes: 62
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2015, 08:37:57 am »
Also, Mustard of Doom is a paraphrase from Fawful.

Same Fawful as this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZlxoPi9JCc

Offline Koali

• Salutes: 56
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2015, 09:26:41 am »
Yes, that Fawful. But I think the quote's from... Uh... I forget which M&L game.

"I AM THE MUSTARD OF YOUR DOOM!"

Offline David Dire

• Salutes: 62
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2015, 09:29:26 am »
Yes, that Fawful. But I think the quote's from... Uh... I forget which M&L game.

"I AM THE MUSTARD OF YOUR DOOM!"

I just realized how similar he is to Majin Buu.

Both have weird banter, strange, childish personalities despite being immensely powerful, etc etc.

Do you know what this means?

FAWFUL IS BABIDI CONFIRMED

Offline Mr. Bishop

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2015, 04:37:41 pm »
@Ashunera Yes, the Mechane is Juilo Scoundrel's airship from OOTS. Here's a cookie. *gives cookie*

@Koali Yep, Mustard of Doom is my favorite Fawful phrase. It comes from Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. Here's a cookie. *gives cookie*

One cookie left if anyone can figure out the G.D.M. Rohoph's meaning!

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2015, 07:16:38 pm »
I named mine after the 7 virtues. Being a Catholic, I've always enjoyed the writing and stories of some of my religions scholars. I wanted to try and almost romanticize my ships with one of the greatest themes of the Roman Catholic Church.

Temperance Spire: Lumberjack, Hades, Light Flack, Mine Launcher

"In knowledge is temperance, in temperance is endurance, in endurance is godliness." 2 Peter 1:6

The definition of temperance is self-restraint. I think that is a apt name for this ship, as a Spire must have plenty of self-restraint to do well. It is a ship that requires control and modesty. It is also my favorite ship in the game :D

Diligence Junker: Meta; 2 Artemis, hades, gat, mortar

"May God, who has caused his Name to dwell there, overthrow any king or people who lifts a hand to change this decree or to destroy this temple in Jerusalem. I Darius have decreed it. Let it be carried out with diligence." Ezra 6:12

Diligence means persistent in your work. This Junker will be persistent in its job. Hurts you from far away, kills you up close.

Chastity Pyramidion: Meta; Gat, mortar, flamethrower, beacon

"For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, slanders." Matthew 15:19

Chastity basically means no sex outside marriage. This is a bit of an ironic name, because, you know, the pyra likes to ram.....hue hue

Charity Goldfish: Lumberjack, flamethrower, beacon flare

"For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in." Matthew 25:35

I actually named this ship its name because of its lack of killing power versus disabling. I view that as charitable

Kindness Mobula:Gat, Mortar, Hades, Light Flak, Mine launcher

"I led them with cords of a man, with bonds of love, And I became to them as one who lifts the yoke from their jaws; And I bent down and fed them." Hosea 11:4

Killing people with kindness.

Patience Galleon: 2 Lumberjacks (same side), Hwacha, Heavy Carronade, gat (side gun), light carronade.

"Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary." Galatians 6:9

Being that the Galleon has the acceleration of a tuna sandwich, I thought this name would fit quite well.

Humility Squid: Mortar, flamethrower, mine launcher

"It is better to be humble in spirit with the lowly Than to divide the spoil with the proud." Proverbs 16:19

I am a terrible squid pilot, which is why I named this ship its name. It is a ship that truly humbles me if I ever get a big head.

Anyway, thats all of them. :D
I'm not Catholic, but of another christian denomination, put props for the naming theme, pretty cool.

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2015, 02:45:23 pm »
Ayetach... I believe there was a topic like that, loooong time ago. But - ok. I'll elaborate once more.

Sometimes I change names for my ship, so - I'll list those I use frequently. If the name comes as a link - it's the referrence to my inspiration.

Most "standard" names of my ships come after the songs by awesome polish band Obscure Sphinx.
Prefix KNTG is pretty obvious, I believe, so I'll skip it.

Squid

Spire

Pyramidion
  • Lunar Caustic
  • Brimstone Landscapes For some reason there's no full song on YT, only the ending part; I change my pyra's name to this, when I go with any of my pyromaniac builds.

Junker
  • Nastiez
  • REKTangle - Schwalbe can't into jokes
  • Mine Kampf - my lovely munker. Somebody may ask: why? Godwin's Law, that's why.
  • Godwin's Law

Goldfish

Galleon
  • Eternity - Also a pun. Because it takes eternity to make this fat motherfucker useful...
  • Infant Stomper
  • B-TCHES LOVE CANNONS - I'm not a fan of anime, but Hellsing Abridged is golden.

Mobula
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 02:47:28 pm by Schwalbe »

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2015, 04:43:11 pm »
Goldfish: The Dirty Goblin, named after one of the songs I am known to sing while piloting over voice chat: Three Dirty Goblins.
Squid as Tanya noted is the Rust Razor, named after one part of the song Drunken Sailor, another Shanty I like to sing.
May need to learn more shanties for my other ships.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2015, 11:51:13 am »
Mobula - Constipation Hotline ; Scrubs reference

Goldfish - Mostly Harmless - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference

Junker - report theme so Report Magnet, Sound of the Reports and many to be created....soon

Pyramidion - CommunistsMustDie , self explainatory

Spire - Polandball

PS. I would love some slots for names

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2015, 12:22:55 pm »
Junker-Lower the Boom,  I only fly a full munker

Pyramidion-Bad Company, Love the song, and who wants to be good company to your enemies?

Squid-Winds of Tartarus, I run attack squids, so winds from the depths of hell seemed appropriate

Galleon-A Ton of Bricks, Anyone who pilots a galleon knows they handle like a three legged pig, plus I like to ram with it when possible

Goldfish-The Valkyrie, It sounds good and I couldn't think of a better name

haven't really flown a mobula or spire so I haven't named them