Author Topic: What is Guns of Icarus!?  (Read 11049 times)

Offline greendra

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
What is Guns of Icarus!?
« on: April 08, 2015, 09:36:06 am »
Hello Everyone!

Today I made a YouTube video to help very new players learn what Guns of Icarus Online really is! Also I know a few people on the forums who don't own the game, so this is also for you. If you don't want to watch the video, I have pasted my script below! I hope you all enjoy, I spent a couple of hours making it!  :)

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P7LyQMjzmE ( Leaving a like is really appreciated!  :)  :) ( Helps me compete with the other YouTubers when they made the videos for the Kickstarter campaign )

Script:
Guns of Icarus online is a multiplayer steam-punk game. You are on a ship with three other crew members, and in the most common game mode ( which is a full on 2 v 2 ), you aim is to destroy the enemy airships and reach 5 kills, as shown in the gameplay that you are watching.

In this game you are part of a 4 crew airship, with other real players. You will always have 4 crew members on any ship, even if you are flying as part of a fleet of 2,3 or 4 air-ships. You can choose from 3 different classes which are "Engineer", "Gunner" and "pilot. As you can probably imagine, the engineer will fix things around the ship, and occasionally hop on one of the guns when needed. The gunner will most of the time just stay on the "main gun", which would normally be the one with the most range and power, but that would be up to the gunner and the pilot to decide.

And then there is the pilot, you will need allot of skill to fly one of these ships and you'll need to take into consideration the gunner and your engineers. You don't want to work the engines to hard or they will brake, and you don't want to give your gunner no chance to shoot. One of the things that many people do in this game, is leave piloting until they are a high level at gunning or engineering, but sometimes you get the odd few who have played many piloting games before and they are able to do it, but like I said, I have only seen 1 or 2 in my time of playing.
There are currently a wide range of seven ships to choose from, and you can customise them by placing different guns in different places. The ship that I am on in this gameplay is called the squid. It has a back facing gun ( Which not many ships have ), but to counter for that there is no gun on the left side. All of the ships in this game have good points and bad points, so when in battle it all balances out and comes down to your pilots tactics and your skill.

The Guns of Icarus community is the best I have seen, If you want help, someone will take you into a private lobby and teach you, if you need to know how to do something in-game, even the enemy team will gladly tell you, which could even change the outcome of a game.

The weapons in this game are great fun to use, and if you are a good captain and you put the right guns in the right places, you will be able to forget about repair and destroy the enemy in no time. Some guns in this game are like snipers, others are like machine guns and they all have different strengths. Such as the gun I was just using, is called the gatling gun, it is great for destroying hulls, and then our front gun would be good for finishing the ship off. I am currently making tutorials for this game, so If you would like to find out more, click your screen.

This game may look confusing at first sight, but once you play a few matches, you will learn the ships layout, the best tools to use for repairing and the best ammunition to use for different guns. This game does have a create a class system, where depending on which class you are wanting to edit ( Engineer, gunner or pilot ) you will have a different layout. If I picked the Engineer class, I would be able to have 1 piloting equipment, 3 engineering equipment and 1 gunning equipment. If I picked the gunner class, I would be able to have 1 piloting equipment, 1 engineering equipment and 3 gunning equipment, same would go for the pilot, 3 piloting equipment, 1 engineering equipment and 1 gunning equipment, not that you would normally find a pilot on a gun!

If you have any questions please ask them in the comments, or if you feel like asking allot of people, head over to the forums! I think that brings this video to an end, If you think I've missed a key thing, please leave a comment down below. If you are interested in buying this game, I have a link where you can get it for only a few pounds, so if you are interested, there will be a link in the description and also an annotation on screen. Also if you are interested, don't forget to watch my tutorial series.

Offline The Sky Wolf

• Salutes: 43
    • [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
Re: What is Guns of Icarus!?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 03:18:50 pm »
Well aren't you helpful? Salute.

Offline greendra

• Community Ambassador
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 06:20:03 pm »
Well aren't you helpful? Salute.
Thank you very much Jack! I really appreciate it!

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 10:08:50 am »
needs work.

It has the issue of captain obvious syndrome that is quite apparent in about high school-middle school level essays.
It needs personality and clarification.

Basically this is an introduction vid. It doesn't need the fluff you put on it. like details on tool slots and roles and etc. Basically obvious crap that can be plainly seen or observed or surmised.

Basic guns of icarus intro in list form.

1. Genre (team based pvp on airships thematically with a steam punk aesthetic)
2. gameplay (each player plays a certain class to fit certain roles but it is within the games philosophy that though not reccomended, players can be played interchangably in these roles)
3. game modes (matches of varying sizes, there is normal death match, crazy king and king of the hill.
4.specific mechanics (spotting system emphasing stealthy strategic manoeuvring, tool cool downs and reload times, rebuild and repairs, and fire and fire stack/overheating guns, all requiring proper communication to coordinate a functioning ship and a winning team.)
5. community (as a highly team based game, the in-game community finds itself essential to the maintaining of the niche population and acts helpfully in teaching the meta of the game. As such it is a generally friendly community that is only limited to a person's ability to communicate cordially with others)

Offline greendra

• Community Ambassador
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 11:40:40 am »
needs work.

It has the issue of captain obvious syndrome that is quite apparent in about high school-middle school level essays.
It needs personality and clarification.

Basically this is an introduction vid. It doesn't need the fluff you put on it. like details on tool slots and roles and etc. Basically obvious crap that can be plainly seen or observed or surmised.

Basic guns of icarus intro in list form.

1. Genre (team based pvp on airships thematically with a steam punk aesthetic)
2. gameplay (each player plays a certain class to fit certain roles but it is within the games philosophy that though not reccomended, players can be played interchangably in these roles)
3. game modes (matches of varying sizes, there is normal death match, crazy king and king of the hill.
4.specific mechanics (spotting system emphasing stealthy strategic manoeuvring, tool cool downs and reload times, rebuild and repairs, and fire and fire stack/overheating guns, all requiring proper communication to coordinate a functioning ship and a winning team.)
5. community (as a highly team based game, the in-game community finds itself essential to the maintaining of the niche population and acts helpfully in teaching the meta of the game. As such it is a generally friendly community that is only limited to a person's ability to communicate cordially with others)
Aye, I understand that I put lots of information that was a bit unnecessary, but I felt like they were the exiting things. I didn't want to make the game seem like a chess game, boring but tactical. Thank you very much for the feedback, I will be using it to help improve my future videos!

Offline David Dire

• Salutes: 62
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 12:02:56 pm »
"You wont want to work the engines too hard or they will break"

Yeah that is super simplified

But I'd like to point out the engines staying up depends on your engineers, not you.

I should know, I'm the biggest Kero/Claw spammer in this game.

Offline greendra

• Community Ambassador
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 12:21:13 pm »

But I'd like to point out the engines staying up depends on your engineers, not you.

Haha. I understand that, but if you just used Moonshine the whole game, then the engineers would have to eventually leave the engines alone and let them break, and focus on the hull or balloon.
: D

Offline David Dire

• Salutes: 62
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 12:25:29 pm »

Haha. I understand that, but if you just used Moonshine the whole game, then the engineers would have to eventually leave the engines alone and let them break, and focus on the hull or balloon.

Well, yeah, BESIDES moonshine, but that's just for 1-second uses.

Offline greendra

• Community Ambassador
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 12:26:03 pm »

Well, yeah, BESIDES moonshine, but that's just for 1-second uses.
Aye, but the pilot will need to know that! xD
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:39:32 pm by The Teenage Wizard »