Author Topic: Heavy Clip Heavy Carronade  (Read 23109 times)

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Heavy Clip Heavy Carronade
« on: April 06, 2015, 05:58:17 pm »
Heavy clip is good on the heavy carronade because it turns the shotgun effect into high velocity straight shots.

Heavy clip reduces clip size by 25% but does not affect guns with 2 shots like the heavy carronade. The ability to shoot two perfectly accurate shots with no downside is not balanced.

To compensate for the clip reduction the ROF should be reduced by 25% when using heavy clip on the heavy carronade, and possibly the other guns with 2 shots per clip.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy Clip Heavy Carronade
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 06:36:35 pm »
That's actually a good point. Every 2-shot-clip weapon has this problem, which is H. Carronade, H. Flak and Merc.

Offline ZnC

• Salutes: 40
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 07:57:08 am »
Aside from BlackenedPies posting multiple threads to discuss nerfing the Heavy Carronade, there's something I find funnier; it's just gonna get stronger with Stamina. :D

And no, I still don't think it needs a nerf. Several ways to deal with it: Drogue Chute, out-range and disable it, out-maneuver with Squid, brawl head-on with Pyra, and/or have your ally double team it.

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 08:19:33 am »
Aside from BlackenedPies posting multiple threads to discuss nerfing the Heavy Carronade, there's something I find funnier; it's just gonna get stronger with Stamina. :D

And no, I still don't think it needs a nerf. Several ways to deal with it: Drogue Chute, out-range and disable it, out-maneuver with Squid, brawl head-on with Pyra, and/or have your ally double team it.

The point is that with heavy you get a very generous range to work with- almost enough to pop a munker from a harmless distance actually - for a weapon that is supposed to be limited by range and primarily used against balloons, yet disables components faster and sometimes more efficiently than a hwacha; Which requires a knowledgable gunner to begin with.

It carries the same downsides but just becomes even better at what it's good at than originally intended. Even light is balanced in the simple fact that you cant oneclip balloons with it.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 08:22:43 am by MightyKeb »

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 12:52:12 pm »
@ZanC

This is my second post regarding the heavy carro and is specifically addressing the use of heavy clip.

The carro's weakness at range is due to the shotgun effect. The ability to only need one ammo type for all ranges makes gunners an utterly useless liability. The ability to use the only necessary ammo without penalty is not balanced.

By reducing the ROF while using heavy clip, gunners would actually have a benefit rather than being a major liability. Gungineers would switch to regular ammo at close range to eliminate dps penalty, like they normally do.

Fish excel at 1v1 disable. It can be said that hwatcha with burst is similarly effective but that requires much higher skill, closer range, and a complement weapon to be effective. 

The heavy carro only needs heavy clip. Heavy clip eliminates the fundamental weakness of the carro. The dps penalty does not apply which makes gunners useless. That is not balanced.

The heavy carronade is universally recognized as unbalanced in pub matches. Heavy clip is incredibly powerful on the heavy carro and does not reduce dps like it's supposed to. I'm suggesting a simple solution to reduce dps and help balance. Another more controversial option would be reducing damage per clip by 25%.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 01:23:13 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 01:29:38 pm »
I would raher change the guns fire rate than have heavy clip have a rate of fire reduction. It is already hard to hit these little guns and engines with heavy clip Hwacha from a decent distance, a reduced fire rate might not do it well.

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 02:54:24 pm »
I would raher change the guns fire rate than have heavy clip have a rate of fire reduction. It is already hard to hit these little guns and engines with heavy clip Hwacha from a decent distance, a reduced fire rate might not do it well.

The suggestion is only for a rof reduction with heavy clip on the heavy carronade and possibly the other 2 shot guns. The purpose is to simulate the dps reduction which should be inherently present when using heavy clip. Affecting rof is not the only possible solution but it seems simple and balanced.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 03:10:44 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 09:36:17 pm »
My suggestion is still to give heavy a 95% spread reduction instead of 100%.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 08:01:48 am »
^This. Although, I'd test it a bit first to see how big of a difference that makes. We might still see all H.Carronade Buckshots hitting the balloon at max range, which would still be a bit unbalanced.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 08:34:14 am »
Watch the last dev fireside. Eric thinks its fine, condescendingly shrugged at the statement of it being OP. Good luck changing his mind, not that he cares or reads this stuff.

Offline ZnC

• Salutes: 40
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 09:40:18 am »
Usually I try to keep an open mind, but I really don't see the Heavy Carronade changing any time soon.

I am just a beginner pilot but I hardly have any trouble with Heavy Carronades or Blenderfishes in pubs. Even against experienced lv45s piloting Blenders I can hold my ground and win; I just take note of its weaknesses and prepare to abuse them.

Slightly reducing the spread reduction of Heavy Clip is the most viable suggestion so far. I like this idea because it will still be strong against ships with a large Balloon, but will make it harder to pop smaller Balloons. This also partly addresses the argument of the Hvy Carro being too easy to use.
The biggest problem with this change is that it will weaken the Hwacha's mid range sniping ability too much, which is one of its core features and gameplay.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 11:12:15 am »
That's a valid point about. I really want the 95% tested to see its impact.

I think, even with a 95%, firing Hwacha in burst (instead of barrage) will be accurate enough.

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 12:57:33 pm »
Why not just make Heavy clip reduce the shot spread by 100% by every other weapon but H Carro?

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 12:59:07 pm »
Why not just make Heavy clip reduce the shot spread by 100% by every other weapon but H Carro?

Or carros in general.

Offline Extirminator

• Salutes: 56
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 01:17:14 pm »
After I ran some calculations it doesn't seem like any change to the way heavy clip jitter reduction works will do the trick. I mean, it might do the trick but it will ruin other weapons that use it.

95% reduced jitter will mean a maximum jitter angle of 0.2 degrees on the heavy carronade when applied heavy -  giving you a maximum spread of 1.5m at maximum range. due to the way that aoe secondary damage type works, and decreases linearly after the point of half the radius, at maximum range, with extreme end cases, you will be doing 86.7% of the damage on average at the center point of impact - which is still able to one shot destroy a heavy gun.

In addition to the still quite devastating damage, the carronade's heavy gun kill radius will be be increased from 2m to about 2.6m on average(so it actually makes it better).

(I am intentionally not talking about balloon killing and only the component destroying - more commonly heavy weapon destroying because only the aoe damage of the carronade, the shatter damage will get affected. Due to a spread at maximum range of 1.5m, any balloon will still be fully vulnerable to it, with slight exceptions with the pyramidion's balloon in various angles, that might cause some armor hits.)

Now for this change to be actually effective in the sense of taking away the carronade's extreme ability to snipe guns and or balloons with heavy clip, one will be forced to decrease jitter by 70-80%.
Right now with the proposed 95%, not only that it doesn't do the trick, it is already starting to ruin the hwacha with heavyclip - you will have 6.25m of spread at maximum range, and with only 7m of aoe radius and the way aoe damage behaves, you are starting to lose quite a bit of damage. Decreasing the spread even more is simply not an option because it will ruin everything that uses heavyclip. Concentrate on the carronade, it is the problem, not the ammo type.

Also, heavyclip exceptions for carronade are quite a dumb solution in my opinion. If you have to make exception for certain weapons you already know something is stupid in the weapon itself, and you're just trying to find a way around it. If you do it, might as well do it right and change the weapon itself.