Author Topic: Steampunk and Western  (Read 6276 times)

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
Steampunk and Western
« on: April 03, 2015, 08:17:24 pm »
So, while watching a western film...

Doesn't Wild West Clothes and Steampunk Clothes look rather alike? Corset dresses and revolvers for women, Tattered gentleman clothes and revolves for men. Grease on the face, drink a lot of moonshine.

Is this just a thing, or is there like a cultural history between them? Or am I just blind about fashion?

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
Re: Steampunk and Western
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 10:11:25 pm »
1800s dude same time period

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 11:39:37 pm »
Well, same time period, but so many Steampunk elements can be taken for Western. You know? Dresses, Music (Violins and trumpets and stuff), technology (trains, early locomotives), and the environment (usually barren deserty lands). It feels like Steampunk is an urbanized Wild West. Kinda curious. To me, anyways.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 03:44:16 am »

Western Steampunk I a legit thing, you could also watch the film Wild wild west, starring Will Smith, lots of nice Steampunk in it.

Although I do know some steam punkers that argue it should only be London Victorian

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 04:15:31 am »
Goio also have ties to dieselpunk. If you want to watch an interersting pot of genres. Try the good the bad and the weird. Imperial china mixed with wild west and ww2 guns.

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 09:13:24 am »
Goio also have ties to dieselpunk. If you want to watch an interersting pot of genres. Try the good the bad and the weird. Imperial china mixed with wild west and ww2 guns.

Watched it, like ten, twenty times. The guy who plays The Weird, Song Kang-ho, is the best actor when it comes a Chaplin-esque lowlife character.

See, that's another weird thing. It's a Western Pardoy of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly set in Manchu China which can almost pass for steam/diesel punk movie. (is there a steampunk movie?)

I imagine Yesha would kinda be like Manchuria in The Good, The Bad, and The Weird (with a lot less Japs). Or maybe an Arashi or even the Mercantile Barrens.

@Kamoba - The picture's kinda too big to take in all at once...

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 10:46:14 am »

is that the one where somebody hires a bunch of mercs? i remember seeing a trailer but i cant remember what movie it was for, it looked like some guys skin could turn to metal

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 04:13:34 pm »
You should watch it. It's worth it. I don't know about mercs, but...