Author Topic: Laser Guided Missile  (Read 8934 times)

Offline IvKir

• Salutes: 8
    • [CBC]
    • View Profile
Laser Guided Missile
« on: March 29, 2015, 02:03:32 pm »
Yeah-yeah, i know, that we have steampunk, but... what da hell? I think there is a way, to make this idea more "steampunkish"

So... the point is, that we have gunner, who have, actually, a little work for him, ya? So let's make him work! Let's give another ammo type, named "Laser Guided missile" that affects only missile type and the tool, named "Laser Guide" let those rockets, that can be guided be guided.

But there is more fun in this... i remember in Half-Life Deathmatch was a fun bug with Rockert Launcher.  There was a possibility to guide missile, which was shoted at you. If you used your laser guide ability after enemy missile was shot... so let's have it in GOI? Let's give another player possibility to guide rocket he does not shoot?

Well, i gues it's a terrible idea, but.. why not? What you think?

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
Re: Laser Guided Missile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 02:10:57 pm »
I think Omniraptor had a similar (but more lore friendly) idea which had a lot of detail, discussion and balance kept into consideration, or if not Omni then he knows about it?

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 02:35:25 pm »
>laser guide
>steampunk

Offline SirNotlag

• Salutes: 17
    • [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 04:21:13 pm »
I'm not against some type of advanced rocketry in the game, but it should be its own unique weapon not an ammo type.

Offline David Dire

• Salutes: 62
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 05:16:44 pm »
Didn't the Artemis used to slowly track enemies? (Back when it was named Rocket Launcher)

Offline SirNotlag

• Salutes: 17
    • [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 05:39:07 pm »
Didn't the Artemis used to slowly track enemies? (Back when it was named Rocket Launcher)

No they toyed with the idea of it in the Dev App... I cant remember why, new ammo maybe, but I don't think it made it into the game.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 07:11:09 pm »
I'm 80% sure the arti used to track to components about a billion patches ago

Offline Watchmaker

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 55
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 07:50:46 pm »
That would have been back in beta. It was boring for the gunner shooting it AND for the pilot/engineer on the receiving end, which is why we scrapped that idea.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 07:59:36 pm »
I got the game on release day and the Artemis didn't track in version 1.0 or later. However I heard stories from those who had been part of the beta that the Artemis at one point was heatseaking and had a fondness for engines.

My own suggestion is to make something like the Rushdal_X4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruhrstahl_X-4
Where the missile's yaw and pitch would be modified by the turn of the gunmount post shooting.

Or go fully guided with hamster based guidance systems.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 08:18:42 pm »
I am mistaken then. The stories I must have heard were from the beta as well

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 08:25:01 pm »
My idea was pretty much the "loose cannon" gun from tf2. I instantly fell in love with that weapon and wanted it in GOI, especially the special DOUBLE DONK bonus that rewards perfect aim and timing. https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,5594.msg91320.html#msg91320

Gilder has been promoting a slow-moving heat-seeking torpedo launcher. https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,1580.0.html

AFAIK it would be attracted to guns firing or engines spinning, so if you switch everything off you can hydro or chute vent or simply drift out of the way, or if you're an insane squid pilot you can try to dodge with engines. It would also move slowly enough to be effectively targeted by a skilled gunner. And it gets very distracted by flares. However if it does finally hit the effect should be spectacularly destructive, like maybe 2x a mine.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 11:44:59 am »
It is way too easy to get level 45 nowadays.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 12:05:10 pm »
It is way too easy to get level 45 nowadays.

Funnily enough I posted a thread about this... And then some time later two more threads about this cropped up..

I personally think one of two things needs to happen...
Decrease exp gain from achieves, or raise level cap..
The thing is though many people like the feeling of a speedy level up, I often don't notice when I level up though, perhaps it should have its own little thing.... Still too fast though..

Back onto topic of missiles... I can see why there would be want for such but controlling the missile would take time off of shooting more shots and shooting an Artemis is in my opinion very fun and skilful already :)