Author Topic: [NEW EVENT] SCS Grand Slam Tournament  (Read 12830 times)

Offline Velvet

• Salutes: 45
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
[NEW EVENT] SCS Grand Slam Tournament
« on: March 31, 2015, 07:58:32 pm »

SCS VoDs [UPDATED!]
The SCS Grand Slam Jam Tournament is a triple elimination tournament event that runs every week and will never have breaks, ever. Most matches are 2v2, time limited best of 5s and are normally streamed live on Twitch. Any team of 8 players, except, quite a lot of teams and players, are welcome to participate.

That's right, a new event! Not only that, it takes place on Saturday, one of the 6 days of the week previously unfortunate enough not to have its own SCS event.
The new event will take place every Saturday at 3PM EST. In light of the success of the new double elimination format, we are upgrading to the inherently superior triple elimination format and hope to implement this in all of our events soon.

We have arranged that each week the winner of the event receives a trip to Disneyland Paris with all expenses funded from previous SCS profits. You will be joined by the entire GOIO dev team.

Signup Rules:
  • All players must be in-game level 30 or under. This is part of our initiative to draw in the real players of GOIO, people who can't afford to spend their whole lives grinding up a high character level and the associated advantages, such as skill, which imbalance competitive anyway.
  • Ryders and SPQR may not participated under any circumstances, they just try too hard.
  • Mad Hatters get a bye to the final because they are obviously the best team but just not tryhard enough to claim the title.
  • Signups end in 24 hours, at midnight UTC 1/04/2014.
  • Signups must include a team name, three (3) captain photos and billing address.
  • Parental consent is required.
Event Rules:
  • All matches are on Paritan Rumble, we feel it's the most stable map and will minimise the recent problems due to slowdown.
  • Following the success of the double elimination event, more elimination is obviously better. The new event is triple elimination.
  • Event is best of 5 because a problem of Bo1 SCS and indeed many Bo1 events is that it is apparently too "random" and Mad Hatters keep getting knocked out early by flukes.
  • 10 hours are allowed for the event to finish as signups are unlimited and we are expecting a lot of interest.
  • Teams have been under stress by the short lobby timers, so we're extending it to 20 minutes.
  • Many games have been finishing without hitting the extended time limit, so it's too long. Match time limit is 5 minutes.
  • Only allowed ships are Goldfish and Pyramidion in order to minimise gimmick playstyles. You can still fly galleon if you need to be hipster.
  • Streamers are the only guys who seem to know what they're doing, and are held back by the limited perspective of spectators. They will now commander ships in-event to help you guys get your shit together. This rules also applies to referees, our job is too boring.
  • In light of recent complaints about the rules, there are no rules.
  • Skrim also told me some other rules to add but I forgot them. These will be phased in across the next few weeks of the event's inevitably endless lifetime.
  • only servers are EU and Oceania
Please only sign up if you are confident of your ability to produce a full team of 8 inexperienced players who aren't Ryders or SPQR.

A word from the SCS team:

Hey guys!

At SCS we take all our participants' feedback seriously. Keeping our fingers firmly on the pulse of community opinion, we've identified what is missing from GOIO's competitive scene right now. An event that is both open to all non-tryhard players and eliminates the threat of constant stomps by Ryders, or having to play against the Ryders, or SPQR who are, when you really think about it, quite similar to the Ryders.
We've noticed a few events targeted at the Saturday slot that reminded us that people actually play GOIO on Saturdays. But there don't seem to be a lot of uptake of these events. I mean, billions of people are awake on Saturday. Surely they could be playing GOIO? Maybe there just aren't good enough events on that day?
Hopefully this gives you a little insight into the long-planned event that we're introducing. We hope you are as excited as we are.

We'd like to apologise for the continuing VoD delays, we really shouldn't have got your hopes up because there are no VoDs, SCS is faked it's been a busy week with the preparations for the new event.

We should also note that we are taking art admissions to our tournament logo for 24 hours. Tournament will not run if there are no logo submissions.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: [NEW EVENT] SCS Grand Slam Tournament
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 08:06:31 pm »
I'd like to sign up two duck teams. To get around the levels, we will all be gunner. Who has ever heard of a over level 30 duck gunner?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 08:08:32 pm by Sammy B. T. »

Offline Jub Jub

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 29
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 10:15:43 pm »

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 10:21:09 pm »
why is this in the pit?

Offline Ayetach

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 10:22:39 pm »
Read it very carefully and you'll know why ;)

Offline Carn

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 10:24:06 pm »
okay, now i see it, this actually a thing?

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 10:30:29 pm »
Muse is no fun, could have at least kept this up for the day.

And if this was moved so fast, what was up with the other thread sticking around so long? =\

Offline Carn

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 10:32:02 pm »
what other thread? anyways, it bans SPQR for being tryhards

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 11:08:19 pm »
Brutal death by moderation by muse

Offline Keyvias

• Salutes: 83
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 10:56:37 am »
The danger of timezones.  Someone brought this up to me yesterday night and I didn't even think of April Fools day.  Moving back to community events for the day.

I swear I'm a fun guy who can take a joke!  April Fools, I'm actually just a jackass.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 11:01:01 am »

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 11:10:26 am »
The danger of timezones.  Someone brought this up to me yesterday night and I didn't even think of April Fools day.  Moving back to community events for the day.

I swear I'm a fun guy who can take a joke!  April Fools, I'm actually just a jackass.

<3

everything in the post is pretty unbelievable, but its mostly just the chock and laugh of it. thanks :)

Offline Velvet

• Salutes: 45
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 11:11:31 am »
Thanks Keyvias for reverting the mistake and treating this matter with the seriousness it deserves.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 12:11:14 pm »
*raises hand*

Being the least try hard Ryder can I dispute the fact I can not compete?!

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 12:12:54 pm »
So much spoilers.

Really enjoyed the post though, I started believing it for the first few lines before things finally clicked. I blame time zones as well.