Author Topic: Possible Galleon Meta Broadside?  (Read 18532 times)

Offline Koali

• Salutes: 56
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
Possible Galleon Meta Broadside?
« on: March 30, 2015, 07:09:29 pm »
So the Minotaur does Piercing damage... Would it pair well with a Hades and Heavy Flak for a Metamidion-style broadside? (I'm talking Pierce-Explode here.)

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Galleon Meta Broadside?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 07:12:06 pm »
Meta-Galleon is still: Hades/flak/lumber then carro/hwatcha.

But a hades/hwatcha/minotaur is pretty good on left side too.

Offline Koali

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 07:17:49 pm »
But... CASUAL META

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 07:29:57 pm »
Pre nerf it was a great combo because of the high shatter damage, velocity, and range making it easy to hit heavy weapons. It could slow down charging ships and knock off the aim of snipers. It was an easy to use alternative to the lumberjack. It was a perfect combo to the right side hwatcha or carro because an optimal loadout for both is spanner mallet buff heavy clip. We considered it as an alternative to the Duck galleon.

I haven't tried the Minotaur post nerf but I'm skeptical that it has any real use. The lumberjack is a powerful albeit difficult weapon that can pop balloons and allow heavy flak to deal direct damage when shot at balloon. Due to the low range I don't think Minotaur can be reliably paired with hades and flak.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 07:45:47 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 11:09:33 pm »
no idea post nerf, it could very well still work.

however i would want someone who is very accurate with the minotaur. because it would not be quick burst down like the pure light gun pierce/explosive. you would have to rely on the minotaur to not only contribute piercing but also to keep damage off your hull so your top hades can get damage in consistently without too many repair interruptions. would probably be most effective against teams that are using brawler builds on a big open map such as dunes.

will definitely not be a super effective build, but i find using non-optimized builds more fun, its like GoI:O hard mode :P

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 02:36:28 am »
I'm a big fan of the double lumber merc, but it's either that or the hades lumber flak. The minotaur was going to be the new meta, but it's nerf was too much to make it viable now.

Offline Koali

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 09:07:04 am »
Solution? Buff damage, nerf push force.

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 10:10:21 am »
The issue with buffing damage is that it's a heavy weapon with piercing and shatter. Before it used to be about 1.5 hades shots of armor dmg per shot and with a buff was enough to 1 shot any component except heavy engine. The piercing seemed around 'balanced' but the shatter was high considering it was so easy to shoot. Couple that with the fact that it was very fast with long range and incredible arcs.

The issue with the taur was that it seemed destined as a close range gun but ended up long range sniper. My favorite use for it was the up arc as a defensive weapon like against fish. It may still have that use but I've been too apprehensive to try it. As a defensive weapon with high up arc I think it has a good place. As long range piercing shatter- no.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 10:32:24 am »
I'm thinking of trying lumberjack-minotaur on the starboard side to provide long range support. But I don't think anything really beats carro-hwacha or flak-lumber.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 10:46:58 am »
How hard hitting is dual greased minotaurs and a light flak at mid range?

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 11:02:12 am »
Minotaur has 800m range now which is more like medium long. Pre nerf I saw taur lumber work well but that was when taur had an extra 1000m and +450m/s. It's worth a try but I'm skeptical of pairing with a long range lumber. I see an issue with dps because you'd need something like light flak or hades on top. Either one requires support from ally to be most effective.

I'm thinking lesmok gat could pair with taur + hwatcha/flak due to the similar range. Lesmok gat is 765m compared to taur 800.

@Crafeksterty

Greased just isn't reliable any closer than about 200 at the most. Taurs need buff heavy to be effective at medium range.

Getting up close with dual greased sounds fun to try but even then I'd use regular up to around 150. Brawling with greased and a heatsink light flak/lesmok mortar sounds like good fun.

Maybe heatsink taur due to the extra dmg per clip and rof/reload? It would also pair better with right side.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 11:07:13 am by BlackenedPies »

Offline Koali

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 11:29:30 am »
Perhaps it could be used in a casual match for inexperienced crew?

Then again, this would involve inexperienced crew on a Galleon...

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 11:37:08 am »
Well taurs aren't difficult to shoot once you get the hang of no visible projectile. In causal matches I don't think it would be best paired with lumber or flak due to their difficulty and arm time. I think the other combos could work. But with heavy clip for taur except close range.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 01:08:30 pm »
But with heavy clip for taur except close range.

Oh, God. It's another H.Carronade and Hwacha.  :-\

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 02:30:28 pm »
Minotaur has 800m range now which is more like medium long.

Cannot confirm: