Author Topic: new game mode: Capture points  (Read 8335 times)

Offline Lanliss

• Salutes: 24
    • View Profile
new game mode: Capture points
« on: March 29, 2015, 12:58:21 pm »
Have you ever played team fortress 2? It has a fun game mode called capture points. Five points in total, and each team starts with two, while the middle point is neutral. All points are locked to capture, except for the middle point. Once the middle is captured, the next one is unlocked(if blue caps middle, red teams second point is unlocked, but not blue teams). Goal is to own all the points.

An alternative route would be to have the crazy king maps, but make every point cap-able at the same time, making it more like territories. Any thoughts?

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: new game mode: Capture points
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 03:10:08 pm »
I.... want this!

How come i never tought of this before! Oh jeeze!

One problem, The map needs to be symetrical, seeing goio, maps arent symetrical.
The better way to go with this is Capture point maps that get larger and larger.
So cap one point, enemy spawns are now further back with the capture point, cap another, further bak with last capture point, making the team that has to capture take longer to get there. But more eviornment to handle. So basically an attack or defend mode?

Offline SirNotlag

• Salutes: 17
    • [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 04:23:41 pm »
With how dull the game mode resource race was I am always skeptical of point capping game modes

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 09:31:07 pm »
From what I understand, this would be the opposite of resource race. Only two points would be active for capturing at all times, therefor all ships would be at one or the other. Once a point is won, the losers' next point becomes the active point, and the winners' previous point becomes inactive.

This is a battle line push mode, winner take all. I could see where this could make for some insanely long matches, though.

Offline MidnightWonko

• Salutes: 5
    • [FIRE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 09:38:37 pm »
From what I understand, this would be the opposite of resource race. Only two points would be active for capturing at all times, therefor all ships would be at one or the other. Once a point is won, the losers' next point becomes the active point, and the winners' previous point becomes inactive.

This is a battle line push mode, winner take all. I could see where this could make for some insanely long matches, though.

Not if a team earns score every second for every point captured.

Then the question becomes, "How does Sudden Death mode work," as such a mode with score earned for every point captured runs the risk of being a tie.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 09:41:57 pm »
It seems alot like a 3v3 or 4v4 mode, 2v2 in my mind doesnt look like it will be appealing because it may be too empty with defence and offence.

Offline Lanliss

• Salutes: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 10:00:05 pm »
It would make for some long games. I would love more of an endurance mode in goio, requiring sturdy crews to win. Also, midnight, I thought of it as one or the other. It would be a winner take all, last point ends the game, or a resources battle. Another option would be for both to be added, as separate game modes. Also, I think spawns would have to move with the points. Maybe they can be placed next to second points to begin with. Once mid is captured, the team that got it moves to middle spawn, while the enemy team is moved to their first point.

Also, I think maps should be asymmetrical, and arranged so that the defending team has the advantage. Both teams have equal distance to mid, albeit through separate, different paths.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 10:04:35 pm by Lanliss »

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 12:06:05 pm »
All of the tf2 game modes allow for players moving in and out of the game. We don't (can't) do that in GOIO. the CP game mode from tf2 would need a lot of tweaks before it will work well for GOIO.

That said, a simpler, attack and defense mode would work for GOIO. Maybe a Team Objective mode from Chivalry would work for GOIO.

Offline MidnightWonko

• Salutes: 5
    • [FIRE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 09:43:28 pm »
I remembered the version of CP used in Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (I never played 1).  CPs are not normally placed linearly but rather in a pattern (sometimes radially-shaped or circular shaped or whatever).  Capturing CPs only gets your team new spawn points.  Holding more CPs than the enemy team, though, gradually reduced the number of reinforcements they can field until it reaches critical levels (and dying also reduces reinforcements, but by a far slower rate).  A team achieves victory either by completely depleting the enemy's reinforcements or by capturing all the CPs and holding them for 15 seconds (as a team with no CPs cannot respawn).

I don't think I've ever seen a stalemate in that game, and it gives both teams clear objectives that push the match towards its conclusion, rather than stalling its progression.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 11:13:56 pm »
Perhaps put in a standard kill limit? Once that is reached, your team can no longer spawn ships. The match should end pretty quickly after that.

Offline David Dire

• Salutes: 62
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 08:55:13 am »
I remembered the version of CP used in Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (I never played 1).  CPs are not normally placed linearly but rather in a pattern (sometimes radially-shaped or circular shaped or whatever).  Capturing CPs only gets your team new spawn points.  Holding more CPs than the enemy team, though, gradually reduced the number of reinforcements they can field until it reaches critical levels (and dying also reduces reinforcements, but by a far slower rate).  A team achieves victory either by completely depleting the enemy's reinforcements or by capturing all the CPs and holding them for 15 seconds (as a team with no CPs cannot respawn).

I don't think I've ever seen a stalemate in that game, and it gives both teams clear objectives that push the match towards its conclusion, rather than stalling its progression.

This

I have over 3000 hours in that game

Stalemates never happen

Muse pls add CP with this now.