Author Topic: New guns  (Read 55255 times)

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
Re: New guns
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 08:46:54 pm »
Heavy Mine Launcher, except, instead of mines, it deploys small pea-shooter guns.

Pea-shooter guns would be short-ranged and weak. As weak as mortars on practice ships.
Max Deployment 2
or
Max Deployment 5 with slow reload and limited duration (Balance purposes).

Ammo type effects the pea-shooter. For example, lesmok would increase peashooter range, but reduce clip size and reaction (rotation) speed.

Three Tactics/Builds I can think of.
Fish that deploys these going in. Engages with broadside with the aid of pea-shooters.
Galleon that puts these on the starboard side. With correct piloting and aiming, a devastating ship that utilizes all four of its heavy guns.
A support Spire that performs tactically on Cap point maps.

If implemented, plenty of balance to do. Still, a fun idea nonetheless.

Should work kinda like Hydra Sorc in Diablo II, where longer she was in the engagement, more damage she dealt (with Spammed hydras and firewall). Come to think of it... never was a popular build.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 08:51:59 pm by Indreams »

Offline David Dire

• Salutes: 62
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 08:55:21 am »
What I'd love is a gun that could shoot those cable blimps like the Nazis used in WW2. (If you don't know about them, they basically tie hundreds of cables beneath a blimp, send a few surrounding an area, and these will catch any planes that try to fly through them. They got pretty feared by pilots back then).

So it'd be like a Harpoon Mine. You shoot the ground, and your projectile detaches. It would then string a 10 or so meter line and float up a bit higher than max height. You could have five deployed max, like mines, and you could only destroy them by A) Lumberjacking the mini-blimp/balloon, or B) Shoot them. I'd think the cables would have high health. Also ramming them for ll the damage would work too :D

Offline Koali

• Salutes: 56
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2015, 09:14:19 am »
Prometheus Heavy Flamer! Shoots dual jets of napalm! Originally surfaced in an RP thread! Designed by me! Built by me! And you'd best hope not pointed at you!

If anyone wants to reformat this in true TheT4nk style, you're welcome to do so.

Offline David Dire

• Salutes: 62
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2015, 09:17:30 am »
Prometheus Heavy Flamer! Shoots dual jets of napalm! Originally surfaced in an RP thread! Designed by me! Built by me! And you'd best hope not pointed at you!

If anyone wants to reformat this in true TheT4nk style, you're welcome to do so.

I can't speak TheT4nk yet, it's too advanced, but...

PR0M37h3U2 h34VY PHl4M3r! 5h0072 Du4L J372 0F n4p4lm! 0R191N4LLy 5URf4c3D 1n 4N RP 7hR34d! d3519n3d 8y M3h! 8u1L7 8y M3h! 4ND J00'd 8357 h0P3 N07 p01n73D @ J00!

Offline Koali

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2015, 02:48:58 pm »
PR0M37h3U2 h34VY PHl4M3r! 5h0072 Du4L J372 0F n4p4lm! 0R191N4LLy 5URf4c3D 1n 4N RP 7hR34d! d3519n3d 8y M3h! 8u1L7 8y M3h! 4ND J00'd 8357 h0P3 N07 p01n73D @ J00!

There we go.

The 'designed by me, built by me, and you'd best hope not pointed at you' is from the TF2 Engineer.

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2015, 07:34:57 pm »

There we go.

The 'designed by me, built by me, and you'd best hope not pointed at you' is from the TF2 Engineer.

That hurt my eyes so bad that if Promethus was released it'd hurt way less.

Offline Koali

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2015, 07:51:17 pm »
Heh, no it wouldn't.

Offline MidnightWonko

• Salutes: 5
    • [FIRE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2015, 08:28:41 pm »
Ooooh heavy gattling is so tempting, but it would rival the heavy flak!
No it wouldn't.  They'd be buddies.  The heavy flak'd be all, "Gosh golly, I sure do wish that darn ship's armor was down so I could do some actually decent damage."  And the heavy gatling'd be all, "RRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!"

Seriously, heavy flak does ~148 DPS to hull, yet only ~32 DPS to armor and components.  By contrast, the LIGHT gatling does ~74 DPS to armor and ~120 DPS to components.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2015, 08:29:55 pm »
heavy gat heavy flak galleon.

galleon gets a hull nerf.

Offline Koali

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2015, 08:44:48 pm »
I kinda get the idea that Chaladonian ships (i.e. Squid) are difficult to fully repair in the field, only allowing for quick fixes (4-hit armor with spanner, massive permahull), while Yeshan ships like the Galleon are easy to repair in the field, making it so large amounts of damage can be repaired (armor) while calamitous damage can't be fixed in the field (permahull).

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2015, 12:01:24 pm »
There would be no reason for a heavy flack on spire anymore too, the gattling is enough to spare 2 light flaks into the target with the heavy gattling.

The only ship using the heavy flak is Galleon with the heavy gattling, but even that would not maybe be as good as the standard Carro Hwacha.

Offline MidnightWonko

• Salutes: 5
    • [FIRE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2015, 03:41:53 pm »
I think a new mechanic might help make for a wider variety of guns: a disarm time.  Much like an arming time requires time to expire before splash damage is dealt, disarm time would zero out direct damage after time has expired.  Perhaps if used together, it could result in projectiles that explode in mid-air or weapons that have a sweet spot where both damages are dealt.  Prior to the explosion (pre-arm/disarm time), it only does direct damage.  After the explosion, it only does splash damage.

Might also be funny if projectiles could be made such that, after hitting a target, they sorta feebly bounce off and fall towards the ground.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2015, 03:50:51 pm »
referring back to the point about communication being key part of the game.

Every component lost makes you lose a key part of the ability to play.

Guns=ability to shoot.
Engines ability to move
hull ability to tank/live
balloon ability to riise and fall and generally stay afloat.

disabling communication channels effects gameplay in about the same kinda way. the only thing needed to balance is how long the chaff should scramble communications, how big the aoe is AND for it to have friendly fire (as actual chaff jams all communications in reality).

and the flashbang part is there because simply blocking off com lines isn't really enough to slow a ship (especially a competent one)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 03:52:33 pm by Maximillian Jazzhand »

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2015, 05:51:27 pm »
once again, please clarify what you mean by communications. If you mean voice, the only thing it would actually do is annoy people who don't have teamspeak/mumble/skype/etc.

Offline SirNotlag

• Salutes: 17
    • [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2015, 04:30:24 pm »
referring back to the point about communication being key part of the game.

Every component lost makes you lose a key part of the ability to play.

Guns=ability to shoot.
Engines ability to move
hull ability to tank/live
balloon ability to riise and fall and generally stay afloat.

disabling communication channels effects gameplay in about the same kinda way. the only thing needed to balance is how long the chaff should scramble communications, how big the aoe is AND for it to have friendly fire (as actual chaff jams all communications in reality).

and the flashbang part is there because simply blocking off com lines isn't really enough to slow a ship (especially a competent one)

I stand by my previous Statement. LEAVE COMMUNICATION ALONE! Disrupting communication in a game about communication defeats the purpose and is just very frustrating and not fun to the participants, itd be like putting slow shields in a game like COD that block all bullets forcing you to kill the guy with a knife or something. It is adding something to the game that actually TAKES AWAY FROM IT.