Author Topic: Make team colors more visible  (Read 11874 times)

Offline Maximum

• Salutes: 0
    • [[[]]]
    • View Profile
Make team colors more visible
« on: March 25, 2015, 10:27:51 pm »
So far the only way to tell if a ship is friendly or not is to mark them, especially since balloon paint was added.

As it stands the color to differentiate ships is so washed out and tiny compared to the rest of the ship, Im hitting the wrong person or not shooting when the enemy is right there. There's no colorblind mode or anything that I can find that would help aside from altering the textures themselves, but that brings up other problems.

Its not fun being yelled at by strangers to shoot a guy I thought was a friendly for the past minute, and being chastised because I literally can't tell the difference between red and blue teams in this game.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: Make team colors more visible
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 10:31:41 pm »
Bind MAP to Q. And use map often to be tacticaly aware of your ships surrounding no matter what class you are. That way you will know and be more aware of where your ally is. Team colours never were visible, it is suppoused to be vague to a degree. But we may as well.

Offline Koali

• Salutes: 56
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 10:34:18 pm »
Ah, helpful point: the compass at the top of the screen has different symbols for friend and foe.

Offline Caprontos

• Salutes: 17
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 10:41:58 pm »
Bind MAP to Q. And use map often to be tacticaly aware of your ships surrounding no matter what class you are. That way you will know and be more aware of where your ally is. Team colours never were visible, it is suppoused to be vague to a degree. But we may as well.

I still have map on m.. and use it all the time.. as engi - so I agree with this... It is a pretty effective way to know if someone is or isn't an enemy very quickly.. - Just being aware of where your ally is will help a lot to..

That said I am for "more" team colors.. (like in the lobby pick from a list).. As.. why not?... If picking the same color is an issue.. (and it shouldn't need to be.. haha..) Just make each team have its own list to chose from...

I think the reason they don't is partly do to how the UI works .. like CP maps and the bars would all need updated to match it.. and system put in to check it.. all for a very minor thing..

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 10:59:18 pm »
better idea...

teammates are auto spotted but with a different indicator.

seeing as spotting is just lines that make a corner.

have 4 lines of the sides.

voila.

Offline Maximum

• Salutes: 0
    • [[[]]]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 11:01:53 pm »

Maps not a very good help especially when a teammates over an enemy or vice-versa

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 01:00:19 am »
Teammates always show on your map. It's very helpful and the best way to identify an ally

I have mine bound to middle mouse

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 01:46:34 am »
I recommend binding it to Left Shift (you can easily press it with your little finger) or to some button in your mouse if you can.

Also, for Muse it's a feature, not a bug. I think every 6 or so months there is this kind of thread and Muse says that it's supposed to be that way, so you
a) are encouraged to spot, which helps both you and your ally
b) are able to sneak up on the enemy without beeing obviously noticed and use the element of suprise
c) are able to mistakingly shoot your ally, which also may happen on the battlefield (yeeeah, mistakingly, with mines.... 10 times.... rrriiight :P)

Offline SapphireSage

• Salutes: 11
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 11:26:30 am »
The main method I use to quickly determine friend from foe is to glance at the compass at the top as it gives a lot of relevant info pertaining to friend, foe, and positioning.

Your ally on the compass will always be denoted as a grey circle, the size of the circle is relative distance and how far up/below/center of the compass is their height relative to your ship (so a small grey circle at the top means your ally is far away above you)

Your spotted enemies will show up on your compass as their team color (such that if you're red team, then all spotted enemies will be blue circles on the compass and vice versa.) and will follow the same size and height rule as your allies.

If you see a ship and its not spotted, you can quickly look at your compass at the top of the screen. If you don't see a grey circle or if the grey circle isn't lined up properly relative to the ship in question either horizontally or vertically then the ship is probably an enemy.

Offline Koali

• Salutes: 56
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 10:26:12 pm »
While not as in-depth, I mentioned ^this^.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 11:38:17 pm »

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 12:21:57 am »
I'll just go ahead and say,

When there are duplicate ships on both teams, its pretty hard to tell.
Back before patch 1.4.0, all-pyra battles were all too common. With all of them being close-range metamidions, when you approached an ally-in-engagemet, the only way to quickly tell was by whether they were shooting at me or not.

Also, I fly a maroon Mobula named Porco Rosso. Due to its reddish color, I've had complaints when I was on the blue team.

So, I get where the guy is coming from. However, I like it as a feature. Too many multiplayer-first-persons are too simple. Red or Blue shirts, Red or Blue Team markers, Red or Blue power armors, are unrealistically obvious. Having to communicate with your team mate "Ally, don't shoot." is part of the game.

Having said that, if I see one more friendly mine, I will $&#* @^*% &).
And if I see a friendly mine in future co-op games, I will %!*# H*@ ^#!# &) ^*@ #((!#!.

:P

Offline David Dire

• Salutes: 62
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 08:47:28 am »
I'll just go ahead and say,

When there are duplicate ships on both teams, its pretty hard to tell.
Back before patch 1.4.0, all-pyra battles were all too common. With all of them being close-range metamidions, when you approached an ally-in-engagemet, the only way to quickly tell was by whether they were shooting at me or not.

Also, I fly a maroon Mobula named Porco Rosso. Due to its reddish color, I've had complaints when I was on the blue team.

So, I get where the guy is coming from. However, I like it as a feature. Too many multiplayer-first-persons are too simple. Red or Blue shirts, Red or Blue Team markers, Red or Blue power armors, are unrealistically obvious. Having to communicate with your team mate "Ally, don't shoot." is part of the game.

Having said that, if I see one more friendly mine, I will $&#* @^*% &).
And if I see a friendly mine in future co-op games, I will %!*# H*@ ^#!# &) ^*@ #((!#!.

:P

I enjoy it too, however, there needs to be a thing where not only your guns are affected by ship loadouts, but your name and cosmetics too. So I can switch to a Blue Mobula when on blue team or a red one on Red team. Not to help my allies, just because I'll either confuse myself or throw myself off the ship due to OCD.

Offline Tanya Phenole

• Salutes: 92
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 08:53:42 am »
Please, don't! It's really essential.
Also notice, lot of players colorblind\playing on laptops\different monitors\etc so brightness WILL affect both performance and the game's esthetic.

Offline Tanya Phenole

• Salutes: 92
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 09:30:08 am »

Colorblindness problem is going to be fixed soon (Proof) so no need to make colors more visible !