Author Topic: Melpomene Stun Emitter  (Read 5965 times)

Offline MagKel

• Salutes: 53
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood of GOIO
Melpomene Stun Emitter
« on: March 29, 2015, 10:42:32 am »
light utility weapon

TL:dr the weapon functions as a flamethrower, it is designed for short range suppress and defense, inflicting light damage to components and stunning the crew, impairing maintenance and repairs. A ship under attack from Melpomene would not be destroyed but instead forced to work under increased stress. Crew members would move less efficiently and the visibility of the pilot would be impaired as well. The effect would not be crippling but nonetheless effective.

Direct Damage:
 very low continuous Shatter
AoE effect:
 stuns the crew, reducing visibility (similar to a flashbang or stun grenate in first person shooters, i think Unity libraries for this are plenty)
Burst Radius
 5 meters
Effective vs
 Crew, Components
RoF
 15 bullets/s
Reload
 10 seconds
Magazine
 200 bullets
projectile speed
 195 m/s
range
 150 m
jitter
 10°
Spread at max range
 ___ (don't know if Unity Engine and Muse use average group radius, offset spawn points or else)
Horizontal Angles
 60° L 60° R
Vertical Angles
 35° U 35° D

The weapon has been re purposed from a fog horn paired with a flashlight emitter, mostly used by merchants and explorer to scare and defend themselves from wildlife or the occasional raider. With a few augmentations it has now become an efficient suppress tool for picket ships, spotters and scouts while it may have some use also as last resort defensive weapon for long range snipers.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
Re: Melpomene Stun Emitter
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 10:55:47 am »
Firstly, I see a lot of trolling potential in this one :D

Secondly, once I mentioned something similar but more as a Heavy Flare Gun idea

Thirdly

Offline MagKel

• [TB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 11:28:26 am »
Firstly, I see a lot of trolling potential in this one :D

Secondly, once I mentioned something similar but more as a Heavy Flare Gun idea

More trolling than we see with the mines already? the gun is not meant to blind the enemy, just to harass them by disrupting aim and repair cycles forcing the crew into damage control.

heavy guns are hard currency in the game, nobody would give up the spot for a short range utility weapon that can't kill a target when you can put a heavy carronade or hwacha instead.

BUT, imagine a blenderfish with a melpomene as side gun, grinding them to the ground and forcing the enemy crew into suppression.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 11:47:03 am »
Yes, because you can avoid being mined remotely easy. This would be pretty unavoidable on the same range.

Well, blinding the captain 'and' crew for even 5 seconds can make a big deal. But perhaps this may be balanced with long reload time if it's a light gun.

Offline ZnC

• Salutes: 40
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 12:29:05 pm »
As Mr.Disaster has pointed out, damage can be prevented and managed; getting stunned (or even slowed) as a player makes you pretty helpless. It might sound interesting to use, but being stunned or having your field of view reduced is simply not fun.

GOIO is meant to be played with your crew working together as a ship. If anything should be stunned it is the ship, which is done by disabling components.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 03:12:39 pm »
I suggested a Tar Gun where it emits puffs of lingering smoke on the ship that makes visibility within the target ship have annoyances.
Which is also a really good counter to flair. Tar gun a ship and hel flair but still not exactly see where you are.

Offline MagKel

• [TB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 07:51:34 am »
As Mr.Disaster has pointed out, damage can be prevented and managed; getting stunned (or even slowed) as a player makes you pretty helpless. It might sound interesting to use, but being stunned or having your field of view reduced is simply not fun.

I do believe this was one of the main critiques on the Minotaur a few weeks ago: "i can't fly the ship straight, let me fly the ship" then it was nerf'd to harpoon status and nobody uses it anymore on such a scale.

The idea comes from a side effect of flares. They can be used offensively by grinding the opposing computers to a halt and if not present on serious games they are widespread in trolling/for-the-lolz games. I am not talking about totally disabling the crew, just slowing down and disorienting so that it is necessary to briefly reform and regroup away from the short range of the ship armed with it.