Author Topic: So long and thanks for all the fish.  (Read 15185 times)

Offline Patched Wizard

• Salutes: 43
    • [+]
    • View Profile
So long and thanks for all the fish.
« on: March 22, 2015, 06:06:35 pm »
I thought I would make it official here since this forum has been one of my more frequent watering holes.
I might come back after a while, I might not.

Thank you for the games, the laughs, and most of all, the friends.

Thank you and safe skies,
Patched

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
Re: So long and thanks for all the fish.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 07:19:37 pm »
It's so sad to see you go, but I understand you perfectly.

Last salute for you              o7

PS. That reference deserves another salute. Or, y'know, a hundread of them.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 07:22:10 pm »

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 07:40:16 pm »
Fair winds. o7

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 08:28:48 pm »
I truly hope you come back sooner rather than later!!!

You've always been a pleasure to fly with!
Keep in touch on steam maybe we can play other games together!

o7

The skies will not be the same without you.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 10:30:49 am »
I don't know you, but from the reactions of everyone else in this thread you're a stand up guy.

Well wishes, and fair winds friend.

o7

Offline Diva Mea

• Salutes: 11
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 11:16:48 am »
for science...
You will be missed 

(42)

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 11:23:36 am »
For Science!

Offline MagKel

• Salutes: 53
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood of GOIO
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 12:03:41 pm »
You taught me so much in just a handful of games. thank you

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 03:25:56 pm »
Was one day of competitive enough to make you want to quit the game? Always a good time playing with you though, Patched. I hope you enjoyed the fish.

Offline nanoduckling

• Salutes: 116
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 12:26:25 pm »
For Science!

Sorry to see you go Patched.

Offline shaelyn

• Salutes: 73
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 11:18:37 pm »
never gonna forget this match with ya

sorry to see you go, hope you come back to us soon.

fair winds!

o7
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 11:20:44 pm by -Muse- shaelyn »

Offline Patched Wizard

• Salutes: 43
    • [+]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 07:13:33 pm »
A few people have asked me why I chose to leave and why it happened so suddenly. But before I continue, first, please do not salute me any more as there is something perfect about the number 42. In fact it's the sort of number that I could without any fear introduce to my parents.

Back to the issue, to sum up my reasoning in a single sentence I chose to leave because I wasn't enjoying the direction the community was heading in.

You're welcome to disagree with me, to challenge me, to tell me to shut up; this is after all my personal and limited opinion.

Expanding upon this thought I want to explain that the determining factor for me frequently playing 'Guns of Icarus' was always the community. I have become quite competent at few online multiplayer games throughout my life. For some people being the best is enough to sustain their gaming habits, but for me if I find that the community is lacking I will eventually move on. In this tight group of people I discovered friendship, teamwork, hilarity, fun, competition, challenge, and a place where our similarities overcame our differences. I was there during 'Guns of Icarus'' beta and was brought into the fold by a helpful and patient CA, who tragically to this day I cannot recall his name. But he took the time to teach me and to guide me and prepare me for when I returned to the game last year. He was a great example of the best that this community could be. He made the game accessible and more importantly, he made it fun.

However, in these last few months I have felt a change in the winds. Some of this shift has come from senior players of the community and some of this I believe has come from select members of the Community Ambassador program. There isn't much that can or should done about the veterans. They're players just like me and even if we disagree on points there is nothing to gain from telling them how to play or behave. But I do feel that I can speak about the Community Ambassador program as this is the public and official face of the 'Guns of Icarus' community.

In my eyes the Community Ambassador program has too many members who do not understand the spirit behind the rules of the program and the tournaments that they referee. While there are requirements and assessment by senior Muse staff for membership it is an open secret that getting into the program isn't that difficult to achieve. By allowing the bar to be set so low, I feel that the Community Ambassadors have become diluted by players who shouldn't be representing the game.
As an example, last Sunday, I participated in the Sunday Skirmish. I do not belong to any clan but for my friends and anyone who asks i'll always happily fly under any colour to help out every team who wants or needs help. It is a way that I can give back to the community and assist in giving a team the chance they need to compete against on more equal footing. After we were knocked out of the tournament, another friend contacted me and asked if I could sub for his team in the second round as one of their members couldn't show up. So I joined under a new team and played another game. However it was revealed to me at that point that this action was in violation to the Sunday Skirmish rules. Apparently "Nobody may play for more than one team on the same day". Before the next round I was informed quite curtly from the referee and Community Ambassador that I was to leave immediately. So I left as requested but joined as a spectator so that I could watch all my friends on both sides participate. However, again the same Community Ambassador told me in unconditional terms that "You must leave the game. NOW."

I obeyed and I left.

I have worked as a professional referee for an amateur football league and I have lived under the same roof for a few years with a lawyer. As a referee and a lawyer, one of the frequent topics for our discussions together was the benefits and shortcomings of the 'spirit of the law' and the 'letter of the law'. The 'spirit of the law' can be defined as the intent of the law's creation, what behaviour was the law trying to prevent through its implementation. In the case of the Sunday Skirmish rules, "Nobody may play for more than one team on the same day" was most likely written to prevent teams from attempting to brute force victory by competing multiple times after getting knocked out of a skirmish. The 'letter of the law' is defined as the strict and literal understanding of the rules without regard to the spirit in which they were conceived. I am going to challenge the Community Ambassador referee from the last Sunday Skirmish by stating that there was no harmful consequence from me participating for another team. By forcing me out, you penalised the team I was subbing for by denying them a full roster and you failed to recognise that there was no advantage to be gained over the opposition from me competing. You obeyed the 'letter of the law' without considering the 'spirit' in which it was conceived.

As humans, it's always easier to make decisions based on the 'letter of the law' instead of the 'spirit of the law'. It is easier to make blanket decisions instead of taking the time to approach each case individually and assessing all the facts before making a tough judgement call. How many times have we been frustrated at police who penalise people without applying common sense? On the other side, how many times have we been ecstatic when a police officer shows mercy when common sense overrules the legalistic nature of the law? If we prefer common sense and mercy then we should show it to others and be an example of reason and compassion.

Referees always face grey areas and unclear consequences when making decisions. They will not always make popular or correct calls but if they're are going to be a referee they should always make a decision based on the spirit of the rules instead of the letter. That way the referee can explain their reasoning beyond "That's just what the rules say". Acting in the spirit is fair and that is also what helps build a community. A Community Ambassador has many guides to follow, but if they do not understand why those rules exist they will make decisions that will alienate the community by being uncompromising. If they do not understand the 'spirit of the law' then they should not be a Community Ambassador.

That is what I have personally experienced in the 'Guns of Icarus' community. Some people and Community Ambassadors have forgotten that this is only a game. I came here to play, to have fun, to make friends, to challenge and be challenged by others. In the end this game has no bearing in comparison to life. If the stakes of the tournament were increased with the possibility of financial gain then I could understand a more exact following of the rules to remain above question. But the Sunday Skirmish is a casual event, played by a few people, in a niche game. We gain nothing by alienating new players by pretending we're 'The International'. By acting in such legalistic manners we have missed the spirit of what this game is about.

"The quality of mercy is not strain'd, It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest: It blesseth him that gives and him that takes."

Thank you and safe skies,
Patched
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 07:17:53 pm by Patched Wizard »

Offline Lanliss

• Salutes: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 07:48:23 pm »
From the looks of this, I can kind of understand you being told to leave the team, as the rules are fairly clear on that subject. I do not however understand why you were not allowed to spectate. Either way, shame you made the choice to leave, though that is your right. It makes me sad that it is over the community, which is something I used to consider to be far greater than any shortcomings the game may have. It would seem it is not as perfect as I thought.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 09:01:43 pm »
To keep it short:

-I also think that some CA's seem to be too unexperienced and not really suited for the job (but perhaps it may be just me being angry that long, long time ago Muse didn't accept my application)

-I agree with referees asking you to leave the ship. I understand your point and, personally, I'm sorry that you encountered such situation. However, referees are there to guide the rules and they did what they were there for. It's a kind of a "slippery-slope argument" - the one action of delicately letting go of the rules could have significant consequences after time.

-I disagree with referees asking you to leave the spectator seat. Perhaps they needed it for a referee or something, but the way you put it it was just unnecessary and a little impolite