Author Topic: Will Guns of Icarus Unity 5?  (Read 18531 times)

Offline Typhi

• Salutes: 10
    • [TFoD]
    • View Profile
Re: Will Guns of Icarus Unity 5?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 12:40:42 pm »
Hey Watchmaker!

What a fast response! I know the game will not magically look better, that is not the intention of a new API. The intention is to make the game run smoother, just like Mantle is doing (AMD Low Level API). I think there is a lot of improvement possible when it comes to performance for Guns of Icarus, especially when Guns of Icarus goes Adventure Mode (MMO, with huge maps perhaps and lots of things going on?) Also if Adventure Mode is going to have some persistence, I think drawcalls can fastly increase. (Depends on your plans ofc.)

Drawcalls are simply the things which can happen at a time. Here is an article about it on the Unity forums. http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/what-are-draw-calls.27416/ The drawcalls possible in DX11/12 vs DX9 are way higher. So it means there are more possibilites for Guns of Icarus.

Hope this helps! Hope you guys will perhaps look into Mantle/DX12 aswell since those are low level API's which will improve performance very significantly. Mantle is not yet intergrated into Unity (and probably never will), so I think DX12 is the way to go since it will probably come in time to Unity 5.

PS: Amazing work on the DX11, cant wait to see it intergrated into the game! :) Especially in hectic situations my performance tends to drop, not sure if this has to do with the drawcalls, but it could be.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 12:47:55 pm by Typhi »

Offline Watchmaker

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 55
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2015, 09:45:28 am »
Yes, I know what a draw call is.  It was the "extra" that threw me; I would have just said "draw calls are cheaper."

In any case: the supposedly lowered cost of draw calls in the newer APIs is indeed an exciting possibility.

EDIT: Generally speaking, framerate in Guns is bound by fillrate/overdraw in the worst cases.  That's why you see drops when you have a faceful of smoke/clouds/fire/explosions.

Mantle is not likely, since it's AMD-hardware specific and we have one (part-time) graphics programmer (me, on top of everything else I do.)  If Unity integrates DX12, that would be nice.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 10:01:02 am by Watchmaker »

Offline Typhi

• [TFoD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 10:02:29 am »
Perhaps that is a better way to put it! In any case, exciting developments in the game industry! :)

Offline Typhi

• [TFoD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2015, 07:47:10 pm »
Hey Watchmaker,

I just wanted to let you know that Unity will support DX12! :) http://blogs.unity3d.com/2015/01/22/staying-ahead-with-directx-12/

Hope this helps,

Kind regards :)

Offline Typhi

• [TFoD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 06:35:45 pm »
So how is the DX11 coming along and the DX12 consideration? :)

Offline Typhi

• [TFoD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2015, 12:03:02 pm »
Time to upgrade guys! :D http://unity3d.com/5

Offline Watchmaker

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 55
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2015, 04:54:40 pm »
Ha.  It is probable that Unity 5 breaks our lightmaps (because they completely switched the lightmapper around).  It is possible that other issues will arise as well.  This is the joy of a backwards-compatibility-breaking release.  We're excited, too, but don't hold your breath.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 04:58:07 pm by Watchmaker »

Offline Typhi

• [TFoD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2015, 08:38:09 pm »
Ha.  It is probable that Unity 5 breaks our lightmaps (because they completely switched the lightmapper around).  It is possible that other issues will arise as well.  This is the joy of a backwards-compatibility-breaking release.  We're excited, too, but don't hold your breath.

Seems you guys made the choice. Unity 5 it is! Great choice! Can't wait till it's implemented! :)