Author Topic: New thing I learned about Guns of Icarus  (Read 27516 times)

Offline Extirminator

• Salutes: 56
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: New thing I learned about Guns of Icarus
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2015, 07:16:19 am »
On your wiki you write that "Due to the already very high turning speed on a Mobula and Squid, Phoenix Claw is not necessarily needed on those ships."

I'm guessing you meant the Junker instead of the Mobula in that sentence? The Junker's maximum turn speed of 16.18 deg/s and turn acceleration of 15.24 deg/s² far surpasses the Mobula's maximum turn speed of 14.02 deg/s and turn acceleration of 3.50 deg/s².

Thanks^

Offline Patched Wizard

• Salutes: 43
    • [+]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2015, 07:20:03 am »
No worries. I've been working my way through the wiki, proof reading every page for small errors and bad grammar. But I thought you might want that one changed as fast as possible, we don't want to give new players the wrong idea. :P
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 07:31:45 am by Patched Wizard »

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2015, 07:23:14 am »
No worries. I've been working my way through the wiki, proof reading every page for small errors and bad grammar. But I thought you might want that one changed as fast as possible, we don't want to give new players the wrong idea  :P

Then ignore my pm asking if you wanted to help me with that  8)

Offline Extirminator

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2015, 08:30:23 am »
Because lu wrote that and I can't really testify for what he meant, I do believe he was trying to go for something like this :

Due to the already very high turning speed and acceleration on a Squid, or the high difference between the low angular acceleration and the high top angular speed on a Mobula, Phoenix Claw is not necessarily needed on those ships.

And that's what I changed it to.
It makes more sense, Mobula doesn't need the phoenix claw because the low acceleration in relation to about 4-5 times as high top speed - that would be even further increased with phoenix claw and will only be reached in extreme cases of 180/360 degree turns(which are completely useless on Mobulas since if you are turned 180 degrees to the enemy, you are either doing it wrong or you're trying to escape which is also doing it wrong because turning your back with a Mobula isn't good.). Also, on most Mobulas that are thought out well, you will have complex builds that require exact arcs/long range weapons that require stability - Which makes achieving precision after the usage of phoenix claw more counter-productive than productive. Might as well have a bunch of vertical mobility tools since this is what the Mobula does best.

Offline Lanliss

• Salutes: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2015, 03:34:48 pm »
So the general consensus is to use tools that make the mobula better at what it does best, instead of balancing off what it does poorly? Interesting.

Offline Extirminator

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2015, 04:35:39 pm »
So the general consensus is to use tools that make the mobula better at what it does best, instead of balancing off what it does poorly? Interesting.

If you play in an intelligent way that doesn't expose your disabilities as much, you can compensate for them and put more effort into your abilities rather.

Offline Patched Wizard

• Salutes: 43
    • [+]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2015, 01:28:06 pm »
I have noticed that there does need to be a distinct difference on the wiki between fact and opinion. And regarding opinions, it is crucial that it is written in a way that it gives out a broad range of advice that encourages experimentation and not "alea iacta est" do's and don'ts.

The beauty about games is that while there are popular tactics and stratagems, there is always the potential for radical shifts in the meta at the cutting edge of experimentation. Our job on the wiki is to provide the keys and show the doors, not to lead people down the exact paths that we ourselves took. Otherwise, we are no better than the Reapers from 'Mass Effect' who guide/force civilisation down limited paths of technology/strategy so that there can be no opposition to their dominion.

Offline Mr. Goggles

• Salutes: 11
    • [Nya~]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2015, 02:33:41 pm »
Press T when spectating.

Lol.. .what does this do?

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile