Author Topic: More use of the "use pilot tool" function  (Read 20904 times)

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: More use of the "use pilot tool" function
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2015, 05:31:46 pm »
Pilots that cannot not use the scroll wheel have clearly never engied.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2015, 05:37:23 pm »
I don't pilot much but playing any of the class I never use scroll wheel. Only number keys.

Offline Lanliss

• Salutes: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2015, 07:57:00 pm »
I think it is less a class choice and more a play style. Just depends on what games you play I think. A friend of mine plays killing floor and tf2. Because of using the buttons in killing floor, he never uses mouse wheel in tf2.

Offline Caprontos

• Salutes: 17
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2015, 10:02:10 pm »
I use both (Scroll and numbers)... Just depends.. So I support making an option.

Though doesn't effect me either way I don't plan on piloting haha..

Offline Koali

• Salutes: 56
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2015, 10:48:40 pm »
I play on a MacBook, which means I don't have a scroll wheel. (The trackpad scrolls, but not by notches, so it's finnicky.) My mouse is an ancient Logitech 2-button ball mouse, which means I still don't have a scroll wheel. Number keys 4ever.

Offline MagKel

• Salutes: 53
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood of GOIO
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2015, 06:59:17 am »
Every time I used the scroll wheel, I ended up standing in front of a broken component with the spyglass in my hand.

http://media.giphy.com/media/K87scVTbZFwWc/giphy.gif

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2015, 08:16:42 am »
You guys know you can activate pilot tools without mouse wheel right? Like moving your finger a tiny bit and/or memorizing 1,2,3,4 buttons. It really doesn't take long or much effort.

Frankly, its faster the way it is now. You just need 1 step to activate while Tar needs 2 steps. Changing the game just to make lazy people feel better about being able to play the game with one hand on a mouse and the other in their pants is not a solid reason to mess up the game for players who put the time and effort into learn.

in any case mainly asking for this because... the hells the point of being on the keyboard if I'm holding the controller? (plus dem keyboard cramps)

aaaand when I switch tools I don't want to be doing a tiny bit of balloon dmg every time I want to kero or use a bit of kero b4 I use claw.

Its just so inefficient. Besides the point is kinda moot with speed as any decent pilot can anticipate when they'll be needing to use the tool.

PLUS

Any engie can switch tools quickly and use the clicky button to use them. I myself cycle rapidly between tools with muscle memory in my tool placements. MUCH faster than keyboard number keys.

to imply you yourself are not fast enough to do a 2 step action, doesn't imply everyone is just as slow as you. In a fighting game I could probably do a special move faster than you would find the punch button.

Offline Koali

• Salutes: 56
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2015, 09:23:41 am »
You could do a special move before I could find a punch button?

So could I, it's the facejab-facejab-runaway combo.

Offline Dementio

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2015, 09:29:44 am »
I guess Muse could implement the thing where when you scroll through pilot tools you have to activate them through a seperate button and when you use number keys it activates instantly. Having that "use pilot tool" function only on some pilot tools and on some not would make no sense to the casual player. But having Muse do anything in that field of usability may not happen too soon anyway.

Any engie can switch tools quickly and use the clicky button to use them. I myself cycle rapidly between tools with muscle memory in my tool placements. MUCH faster than keyboard number keys.
Now I don't want to continue the semi-off-topic discussion of "number keys vs mouse wheel scrolling", but I am pretty comfortable with pressing the number keys in a rather quick succession, also as an engineer. Mainly, because my mouse wheel does not like me and in any other game I used the keyboard more than my mouse wheel so I continued using this "skill" even in Guns of Icarus.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 09:35:10 am by Dementio »

Offline MagKel

• Salutes: 53
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood of GOIO
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2015, 12:10:03 pm »
I guess Muse could implement the thing where when you scroll through pilot tools you have to activate them through a seperate button and when you use number keys it activates instantly. Having that "use pilot tool" function only on some pilot tools and on some not would make no sense to the casual player. But having Muse do anything in that field of usability may not happen too soon anyway.

It would also mean pilots would not burn through the engines or balloon during a frenetic fight or because of unexpected mouse scrolling.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2015, 03:52:20 pm »

It would also mean pilots would not burn through the engines or balloon during a frenetic fight or because of unexpected mouse scrolling.

ALSO no more noobs keeping the kero(more like moonshine) highlighted without them realising and killing the whole ship. Its the biggest reason why I NEVER tell noobs about the pilot tools.

Offline Lanliss

• Salutes: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2015, 05:00:48 pm »

ALSO no more noobs keeping the kero(more like moonshine) highlighted without them realising and killing the whole ship. Its the biggest reason why I NEVER tell noobs about the pilot tools.

EDIT, because I did not scroll down far enough and posted this in the middle of a quote.
I have done that... :'( I think another good fix would be to be able to change the color of the active item on UI. I doubt people would be able to ignore a bright green symbol under the wheel
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 05:03:06 pm by Lanliss »

Offline Dementio

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2015, 05:10:13 pm »

EDIT, because I did not scroll down far enough and posted this in the middle of a quote.
I have done that... :'( I think another good fix would be to be able to change the color of the active item on UI. I doubt people would be able to ignore a bright green symbol under the wheel

If somebody can't comprehend that the current activated tool is the one highlighted and thus looks different from all the other non-activated tools then I doubt changing the color to green will do anything...

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2015, 05:56:12 pm »
Muse said they'll be looking into the idea mentioned in the original post (Having an option for pilot tools to be click activated like tar) :)

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2015, 05:59:15 pm »
Muse said they'll be looking into the idea mentioned in the original post (Having an option for pilot tools to be click activated like tar) :)
"we will look into it" means nothing more than "we saw your email".