Author Topic: Front page stats post  (Read 23779 times)

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
Re: Front page stats post
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2015, 08:43:09 pm »
Also, should we expect mobula buff since it's least used ship? :D
HUH, OKAY, LET'S THROW ALL THE BALANCE OUT OF THE WINDOW AND HIT IT WITH A FRIDGE IF WE'RE AT IT.
(When they clearly said that the next ship they will be looking at is the GALLEON)

Im quite sick of seeing really untoughtfull, asshole posts come up so quickly after minutes or a day of news coming in. Understandable to a degree because we are players whos dealt with many changes, but when they give us what we want (Which in this case the insight of how they can look at the game). Even worse comments arrive.

I may have been overdramatic here, but I was making a point that low usage =/= need of buff, and that pyramidion was a special case because it had had such a huge majority of usage.

Other amazing future improvements-

No more novice pilots in regular lobbies! No more second pilots! WOOT

Unimited rematches! No more being stuck with useless ally in crew form after a match! FINALLY WOOT

Custom game now has all matches! RETURN OF MATCHLIST WOOT

And weve all complained of these things, and now they are fixing it! YAY! Lets celebrate god damnit!

I agree, although I have my complaints surely (we always do) this is 'the' patch I am looking forward to see.

@Keyvias

Certainly, although we kind of overlooked it, it's really nice to finally see some stats, especially remembering that on the last Fireside you (devs) said that you won't post it. We're all of course really happy to see them.

-----------------------------

I've written to Howard to tell my fears about the underdog system, and he wrote:
"The not counting losses is only in player stats and progression, so it's really cosmetics. Players' MMRs are would be reflected and adjusted as normal.  So people's MMR will change.  In other words, we're not touching MMRs with this construct."  - underlining and bolding mine

The problem with that mentality is that it implies that it is okay to punish 'stacked crews'. Call em stacked crews, I call em playing with my friends. Were not stacking to win, were stacking to play together, because were friends. I want to play with my friends, not pugs. I don't think it's fair to believe punishing a certain playstyle is okay.

I think BlackenedPies didn't mean it that way, I believed the word "stacked" is simply technical term. In the game where cooperation is OP the ship of four vet friends can be really powerful in pubs filled with randoms. I believe it's "no one's fault" in a way that you must wait long time, it's just that with low population it's hard for system to find someone of your level, especially if you are in a crew form of several ships.
On the other hand I fully agree, in this 'highly cooperational game' people naturally want to play together, especially when even one stupid person on the ship can ruin your whole game (yes, it can). You say "well you play together so you have a problem", but people are going to play together (at least crewing full ship), so some may say "well, the game is meant to be played together, so it's the problem of the system".

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2015, 10:45:28 pm »

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2015, 09:51:03 am »
The idea of using stats for balance purposes is completely legitimate. I'd rather that then having Muse listen to every idea on the forums. The stats they do show aren't the most useful, but they do give some interesting information. This mostly has to do with ship picks. More informative stats would show pick % on different maps, or even pick and win rate on certain maps with certain paired ships. You could even split it up by MMR to look at different skill level preferences and success rates.

So realistically, this is some very simple information that shows what ships in general players like to pick in all types of matches. As we've all probably noticed, the easiest ships to fly are picked most often, and the tougher ships to fly are picked less often. Sounds about right. The top 3 picked ships also happen to be the novice ships, and although they're not looking at novice matches, are they excluding novice players who don't know how to unlock their ships? You can also consider that players who graduate from novice are most comfortable with these three ships, and will try and stick with them more often for a while.

As for the underdog system, I have no idea why people have their panties in a twist. It seems like a really nice compromise. Stomps/stacks do in fact happen, and this system just helps the underdog in that situation without punishing the stack in any way. I'd recommend actually reading the blog post to better understand the idea that's still being tossed around. Currently it sounds like the system will look at a match as it starts and evaluate both teams. If there's a significant difference in skill level based upon their stats, one team will be considered the underdog. Win or lose, the underdog's stats aren't affected and they get a badge for playing to the end (ie: not quitting midmatch). It seems more a solution to the leavers problem than anything else.

Then finally the match making system has always been interesting, and I still find it weird when people complain about the time it takes for their 8+ person team to find a match. If you've ever played in the old lobby system, finding room for a whole crew was always a lot of effort; it's very rare for a single side in a lobby to be completely empty. You and your team would still jump from lobby to lobby trying to find enough open spots and pull everyone in. Or find one that's mostly empty, and beg players to swap with you so you could all play together. The match making system doesn't shift players around who are already in the lobby, so that's the only real difference between the new and old system. The best and fastest solution is to start your own damn lobby and open it up to queue. It's like you only bother trying to queue up so you can complain about the system. If you really want them to improve the queue times, their best solution would be to drastically limit the number of people you can queue up with; which is probably something you don't want.