Author Topic: I made a Ramming Spire Build (Other Ram ship discussion)  (Read 14254 times)

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
I made a Ramming Spire Build (Other Ram ship discussion)
« on: March 19, 2015, 05:04:06 am »
Because of spires new speed buff, i took the time to try out a ramming build with the spire in pub play.
It actually worked.

(Albeit not as effective actual gun builds, maybe, havent tested enough but its super fun)

Heavy Carronade (Gunner) with a Gattling (Buff engineer) and 2 harpoons on the top (Main engineer).
I gave myself Moonshine + Impact bumpers. With the third one being anything, either chutevent or Pheonix claw or Dorgue chute.
The goal was for the gunner and buff engineer make the ship as suspectible to rams as possible.
While the main engineer can waste tiny bit of his time aiming 1 or 2 harpoons and getting back to hull repair (Or repairing in general).

When the buff engineer takes out the hull, and the carronade annoys the baloon and transfered damage over to the hull with lochnagar and such. Moonshine + Impact bumpers on ram demolishes everyship (except Galleon). Add in harpoon and youve got a killer. Problem, is when you dont get the kill, youl ram through him. Dont turn, or atleast dont exert too much engines. Back pedal and ram again. With the spire, it is easier to ram falling ships because of the verticality of the spire. If your harpoon hits (Remember to moonshine if harpoon hits whenever) youl get reeled down to a ship below you. In anycase, on ram, moonshine should apply, and impact bumpers will protect a big portion of your armor. If the armor is down, a big portion of the hull is protected (But you never want to loose health). Harpoons secure your speed and fucksemup.

SO...

Having moonshine and Impact bumpers greatly made me appriciate the combo. Specialy now that it works on a ship like the spire :P
TBH it should have worked before also. But i think i was reluctant to that decision because of low Hull Hp at the time. Now i can afford it. But most of my time ramming was never loosing hull but rather not loosing armor which was never changed. So the only thing that enabled the spire to ram better was its speed buff.

What other ships would allow for ramming? (Excluding pyra, it has a built in impact bumpers on its front :P)

Currently i can theorise that Junker can do chute vent rams, while difficult, not wise for any junkers to ram (Not tested). Then we have the mobula, which can easily Uppercut ram with Impact bumpers+Hydro. And the goldfish, which essentialy the same as my spire, just without the gattling + harpoon, but with more speed and hull health.
Squid ramming is something i want to test with moonshine + impact bumpers. Despite its 200 armor, it wont loose it on ram. With the added speed and health buff it should be able to do it effectively.

Now it all depends on what ships can ram what.
The spire in my experiences could ram pyras. Only problem is not at its front. So it barely can ram pyras. But versus pyras with no moonshine of their own, the ram of a spire can swing the pyra to its side and the carronade will continue its job. Still risky, all ships are rammable but barely pyra.

And it goes on to how squids being too lite in ramming pyras, etc.

Discuss?

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
Re: I made a Ramming Spire Build (Other Ram ship discussion)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 10:15:08 am »
Mobula Ram.

As Mobula is a difficult ship to repair/rebuild, you don't want to be in a position where you are getting shot at.
There are many ways to maneuver out on a Mobula, but only the craziest captains will do the Ram.

When an enemy ship is closing with decent forward momentum, maneuver your ship so that the enemy is charging at one of your wings.  Then, get close and personal against the enemy ship. Once you are close to ramming the enemy ship, use the phoenix claw and turn your ship. If you do it right, your ship should spin like a revolving door. The enemy will pass through you, and you should end up behind them.

It's very important that you warn your gunner about your move. The gunner needs to be on the spot to disable the enemy's engines, otherwise the enemy will phoenix turn towards you, negating your positional advantage. Also, your balloon will take a good amount of damage.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 10:23:00 am »
Demention done that to me before now, a couple of times  :-[
As the book of Dementio and the writings of the prophet Blackened Pies states: Mobula be-eth OP.

Also Spire Ram and Spire Goomba Stomp are actually things now!

WoD goomba stomped me with their carro spire last night. :)

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 10:55:47 am »
I love mobula rams when paired with right wing loch mine, bottom left gat,  and kero + hydro.

Against scrubs I used to sometimes do ramming junker with gat front and moonshine tar. Usually with all AI and side flares, it was silly.

My favorite is double gat blender spire. The gats use heavy clip and aim for guns. With good aim two gats will take out a light gun in under a second. I use the normal loadout I'm used to (kero claw hydro) but moonshine chute vent should work great for ramming blender spires.

I don't think I've ever used impact bumpers...

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 11:44:15 am »
Best ram Mobula is obviously the: Top middle Gatling, bottom deck harpoons with pilot bringing hydrogen, moonshine and impact bumpers. Destroy armor then use both harpoons at the same time on the enemy ship and win. Not successfully tested though.

But obviously the best ship for ramming will always be the Galleon. Moonshine into the enemy, you will always have mass advantage so you will always push the enemy back after one or two seconds of acceleration. The enemy will usually end up on one of the sides -> instant victory.

Hades/Mercury Pyramidion: Destroys armor like there is no tomorrow, with the possibilty to disable that one noisy gun. Once close, where you are at max top speed of maximum top speed, enemy armor dies and enemy dies.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 01:08:54 pm »
Yeah Galleons destroy ships so flipping hard. One accelerated galleon that heads straight with moonshine right into a mobula, spire, junker, squid, maybe even a pyra is an instant kill almost.

Everytime that a galleon ram killed me (twice... or more :/ ) i loved it.

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 01:44:10 pm »
4v4 Dunes, all sniper... Geo gets impatient at match length as all allies refuse to push forward. "Kamoba you got moonshine?"
Me: "Yup."
Geo: "Ram them!"

4 kills after the first (which was a joint of ours and allies) unfortunately also 4 deaths, that match took too long with no one wanting to play aggressive on either side, and we wanted sleep, so we ended up being silly and getting ourselves killed (while killing) but still...

MOONSHINE GALLEON RAAAAMMMMMM!!!!!"

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 02:21:33 pm »
Marry me?

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 02:32:07 pm »
Marry me?

You'll have to wait until my first in game wedding is finished, but I'm sure we can arrange something. XD

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 07:01:50 pm »
Moonshine Galleon Harpoon Buttram.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 09:05:13 pm »
Moonshine Galleon Harpoon Buttram.

NOOOO

THE MEMORIES

THE HORROR

THE TRAUMA

IT'S ALL FLOODING BACK

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 09:27:54 pm »

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 12:18:53 pm »
The Assram is a powerful thing. Use it wisely.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 10:27:39 am »
I've had it done to me ONCE and I NEVER WISH FOR SUCH A THING TO HAPPEN EVER AGAIN.

FFS

Speaking of, Ram Gally build: Hwacha/H.Carro left with Gat up top, Mino/Hwacha right, either Harpoon or Gat on back.

Approach with your right side, disabling and knocking them around, the swing around to left and open up with the gat, Carro, and Hwacha, before swinging again and Harpooning, kicking it into reverse gear with Moonshine.

No escape because Engines and Balloon gone, + Mino screwing with them, then gat to armor strip and Harpoon to keep them there indefinitely and drag them in.

What d'you think?

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 11:13:18 am »
I've had it done to me ONCE and I NEVER WISH FOR SUCH A THING TO HAPPEN EVER AGAIN.

FFS

Speaking of, Ram Gally build: Hwacha/H.Carro left with Gat up top, Mino/Hwacha right, either Harpoon or Gat on back.

Approach with your right side, disabling and knocking them around, the swing around to left and open up with the gat, Carro, and Hwacha, before swinging again and Harpooning, kicking it into reverse gear with Moonshine.

No escape because Engines and Balloon gone, + Mino screwing with them, then gat to armor strip and Harpoon to keep them there indefinitely and drag them in.

What d'you think?
Manage to do all of that before they kill you and I'll be shocked if you don't kill them, also remember Galleons turn slowly even with claw, better to moonshine and wait with guns till they're on side, or poon ram and then guns. :)

OR
Double hwacha right, turn with claw till front is inline with them, the rebuilding time of their whole ship (assuming your gunners hit) should give you a damage free moonshine ram and finish with guns if they're still alive. :)

Spire ram build: Since this post was made, I have seen a few people attempt such (unfortunately for them on long range maps) add this to the recent paritan spire guide and you have a deadly build. :)