Author Topic: The Flying Narwhal....alternate Pyra  (Read 21162 times)

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
The Flying Narwhal....alternate Pyra
« on: March 17, 2015, 03:41:59 am »
Okay, so instead of going back and forth on Pyra nerfs, lets actually throw Muse's balancing out the window and look at another solution to this problem.

This involves keeping the pyra as the weaker vessel it is now, ups it's mobility slightly, and also gives us the superior charging, ram, game we want. Then on top of it, gives us an Anglean vessel.

Now awhile back Muse posted some new concept images for Anglean ships (If someone can find them, that would be great). Not the classic Chaladonesc style vessels they did years ago, but updated designs. Ships which look very advanced in tech, don't even remember seeing them have a visible balloon. Could have it similar to the Mobula where it is a bottom mounted, just not as big.

So heres the idea, new ship. Flying wedge/axe. Ship is built for ramming. A giant axe head or pike looking front. Split down the middle, just a huge section of reinforced hull. Guns are separated on both sides but at angles so they can't neutrally face forwards. You'd have to turn the axis all the way to the side to get them forwards.

Perhaps avoid making this OP by having the gun placements in a non symmetrical fashion. So say have one more forward while the other more back. Pilot station ideally would be far back overlooking the vessel.

Engines would be triple engine similar to Pyra. Similar placement. Balloon placement, if under, would be on a ramp that would go under the ship. Hull placement, possibly more topside or vertical placement on the reinforced metal wedge structure.

Flying it. Literally this vessel would be the Pyra before the weight nerf many patches ago. Big and heavy, high speed, not much turning. Designed to charge in and smash things. Guns would have more lateral options but could focus front. Just the angles would be awkward because the wedge would be blocking view and axis. You'd have to have a ship dead to rights on a charge before committing both. Slower mounts would also take time to get into position to be able to hit forward targets.

Lorewise with Anglea...well its a giant flying battering ram. I'm sure sky vikings would have a use for that. Perhaps pre military use it could have been an ice cutting airship? They might have use for that. Specially preventing cities from being taken over by glaciers all the time. Maybe there are even variants which would have a drill on the end.

In fact, could change the wedge and make it a drill head on the front. Spinning or not, you'd be fighting with a big flying drill. Some folks might like that idea. Repurposed ice mining ship becomes deadly ramming ship. I dunno, ideas keep flowing!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 11:15:28 pm by Queso »

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
Re: The Flying Wedge....alternate Pyra
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 08:05:31 am »
Of course I like this idea!!! I suggested something slightly similar by email. :)
Much want.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 08:46:57 am »
WOOT NECROES

Basically, have either fighterplane Pyra

Or Tanky, fly-in-and-smash-but-if-you-miss-you're-screwed Pyra.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 04:01:46 pm »
Pretty much a...MAKE UP YOUR @#%@#^ MIND MUSE! kind of Pyra. Or make another ship to fill the role so Pyra isn't constantly an identity crisis.

Offline The Sky Wolf

• Salutes: 43
    • [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 03:15:07 am »
I want a new ship that has a Heavy Gun in the rear of it and a small gun in front.

Offline Koali

• Salutes: 56
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 10:59:12 am »
So, in essence, a flying axe head with guns?

Offline The Sky Wolf

• Salutes: 43
    • [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 02:37:52 pm »
That's a great idea, a super durable Axe-head-looking ship with a hwacha on the back between the rear engines. So if you miss a ram, you can still fly passed them fart on them with rockets.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 11:07:05 pm »
Decided to doodle a possible build taking into account a rear firing heavy mount. Calling it, the Drillmidion:

As far as repair mounts go...dunno. The balloon would be similar to the pyra where it has armored slats around it. Just the weak spots would be on the sides, not the rear.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 11:09:45 pm by Gilder Unfettered »

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 03:19:40 pm »
Muse, make this ship happen. I want a giant flying axe. Please.

Offline Sarabelle Marlowe

• Salutes: 25
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 04:01:00 pm »
Oooh, I like. It's got  some blind spots, but has different firing arcs then the other ships. I like how you have some touches of lore there as well.

What kind of balloon would it have? Would it be sleek and framed like the goldfish or squid? Or would it be heavier armored like the pyra? What kind of sails would we see?

As for names, if keeping with the sea theme ,something like Mako/Isurus or Hammerhead?
Or perhaps something like Scythe...
Halberd, Verutum, Framea if going for weaponry like spears?
Sagaris or Mattock or Maul for types of axes? (The spitting maul has a very wedge shape head, and the word Maul just sounds intimidating)

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 04:02:30 pm »
Could call it the Pike, or the Narwhal.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 05:50:08 pm »
Anglean tech would likely have the balloon armored. However this design exposes it on both the top and bottom of the ship. So it is a vessel that would be weak to both LJ and Carro, if you approached at the right angle. The Axe/Drill would be an extension of the hull so it would be weak against gat fire.

The rear firing heavy mount also gives this ship the possibility of being a blockade runner. If it charges and you avoid the ram, it still has the option of blowing it's rear mount and making sure foes can't turn around on it. I thought about also putting the rear mount up by the pilot. That is another idea for balancing. This also would mean the pilot would have a viable reason to carry ammo as they could do the charge then jump onto the rear cannon and rip stuff up. But, it might be a little OP. Dunno.

As far as name, something north seaish would be good so yeah Narwhal might do it. It would give it a joke factor and I'm sure folks would love it.

Offline Sarabelle Marlowe

• Salutes: 25
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 07:27:59 pm »
Ahhh, I see. Well, so far I really like the sound of it. I'm imagining some of the themes on it and can't help to smile.

I like Narwhal alot, def fits with the general feel I think.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 07:40:47 pm »
Gotta poke a mod and rename this thread "The Flying Narwhal"

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile