Author Topic: Chem Spray vs Extinguisher  (Read 46734 times)

Offline Dryykon

• Salutes: 10
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
Chem Spray vs Extinguisher
« on: March 16, 2015, 04:07:08 pm »
As my 12 play hours as an engi (such newb), I've gradually opted more for the extinguisher over the chem spray due to its instant fix of any fire problem. However, higher level captains often load me out with chem spray. I do the cycles and it usually doesn't seem to be a problem. However in hairy situations when a cycle is missed the flame stacks build up, the chem spray just doesn't seem to cut it.

So... I am wondering given what builds/enemies is one better than the other?

Also, given an arguement last night...

Offline c-ponter

• Salutes: 14
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
Re: Chem Spray vs Extinguisher
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 04:23:26 pm »
Generally if they have flamers or a lot of fire like banshees, Hades ext... It is better to chem or you will just run laps of the ship putting out fires constantly anyway, then you have no time to repair and end up in a really bad situation. But if they have little-no fire based weapons/ammo chem can be more trouble than its worth, in which case you are better off with extinguisher ussually.
But keep in mind your crew and your own ability as well, on mobulas and bottom deck galleon chem cycles can be near impossible to maintain, especially if you have a less experienced gunner who means well by repairing his own gun but leaves no time between for you to chem ( Though that issue Can ussually be fixed fairly easily through good communication)
like  practically everything in this game both work well, which one works better is very situational and personal preference.
I personally live by chem spray, it breaks my heart seeing all my beautiful components all non-chemmed and vulnerable.
PS: the CORRECT loadout order is spanner-mallet-fire tool
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 04:30:06 pm by c-ponter »

Offline Lanliss

• Salutes: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 04:41:06 pm »
I go mallet/buff - spanner/pipe - fire tool.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 05:38:34 pm »
Goldfish Junkers and Pyramidions need two chem sprays. The others *can* work with only 1 chem spray and the mobula can work with two extinguishers. I think the extinguisher should have 5 second immunity instead of 2. It's the weakest tool in the game.

The real correct order is chem mallet spanner. If you're bringing a buff that goes first.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 05:42:36 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline c-ponter

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 05:54:14 pm »
Goldfish Junkers and Pyramidions need two chem sprays.
interesting you should say that. One loadoyt which we used to run a lot on goldfish was spanner-mallet -buff for the hull engineer with standard kit on balloon engi.
the balloon engi ran a chem cycle main engine-balloon-
jump down next to the hull-front gun and repeat. It leaves little time for repairs and the side engines are exposed to fire but the spanner-mallet-buff really helped survivability.
unfortunately it was also really weak to balloon popping as when the balloon went down so did chem cycles, against an enemy with little fire however this didn't work too badly against us
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 05:57:47 pm by c-ponter »

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 06:01:16 pm »
We've had this discussion some times before: https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,4975.0.html
Not that I mind having the discussion open again.

The conclusion from the previous discussion was, Chemspray is supreme in most circumstances. The Flamethrower (main source of fire) puts out too much stacks too damn fast for extinguisher to successfully fight it. And Chemspray fights little fires just as well as the extinguisher.

If you read through the previous discussion, you'll see I made quite an attempt to defend extinguisher. Right now, I think Chemspray is almost always the better tool.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 06:06:13 pm »
A good engi/ engi team can keep an entire ship sprayed in constantly in most scenarios. In my opinion, chem spray is always better at this stage in the game. I'd be ok with an extinguisher buff of some kind, but right now chem is better once you get used to it

Also, spanner/mallet master race 

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 06:14:21 pm »
I'm tired of seeing engineers chem spraying when a component should be repaired and there is no threat of fire. People are addicted to that stuff.

Offline Lanliss

• Salutes: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 06:20:11 pm »
I am guilty of that crime. I cannot speak for others, but I tend to lose rhythm on my cycles of I stop, so I kind of have to do a spray cycle, then a repair cycle or two, then another spray cycle. I need to learn to prioritize and stop being a robot on a track.

Offline Patched Wizard

• Salutes: 43
    • [+]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 06:22:22 pm »
Mallet first slot.

Offline c-ponter

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 06:23:59 pm »
Indreams I think that's pretty much as far as this will get XD
Dutch we all have our addictions, you have smoking or alcohol,  we have chem. Its a medical condition I tell you!!!

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 10:15:05 pm »
A good engi/ engi team can keep an entire ship sprayed in constantly in most scenarios. In my opinion, chem spray is always better at this stage in the game. I'd be ok with an extinguisher buff of some kind, but right now chem is better once you get used to it

Also, spanner/mallet master race

MALLET SPANNER, GLORIOUS LEADER.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 02:33:23 am »
Spanner, Mallet, Chem.
Spanner, Mallet, Buff.
Spanner, Mallet, Chem.

All hail the pyramidion master race!

Offline ZnC

• Salutes: 40
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 03:22:21 am »
Contrary to many people I prefer extinguisher most of the time because of faster cooldown and its versatility. Chem spray is good at negating suppression from flamers; you need it to return fire and the flamer becomes useless once balloon and hull is chemmed.

However, the small amount of fire stacks from other weapons often doesn't justify the 5s cooldown and weak extinguishing power of chem. If the balloon/hull loses chem in the middle of battle and take 1-5 fire stacks along with damage, it becomes a problem.

Also to point out something interesting: if an engine has 20 stacks of fire and taken damage in the middle of a battle, I will usually mallet first before extinguishing. This is especially if I am aware that the pilot requires the engines to maneuver immediately.

One of the beautiful things about playing main engineer is how often you have to be situationally aware and make decisions based on knowledge and quick thinking.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 10:10:58 am »
Goldfish Junkers and Pyramidions need two chem sprays.
interesting you should say that. One loadoyt which we used to run a lot on goldfish was spanner-mallet -buff for the hull engineer with standard kit on balloon engi.

When I saw that loadout when we fought against the Gent team during the GOIO League, I assumed the spanner mallet buff was on balloon under the assumption the balloon would be constantly destroyed. It would give you a big advantage in blenderfish duels until you get flamed.