Author Topic: Custom Gun Placement (Adventure/Co-Op Only)  (Read 8935 times)

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
Custom Gun Placement (Adventure/Co-Op Only)
« on: March 14, 2015, 12:37:07 am »
I'd like to see a fized NUMBER of mountable guns on a ship of each type, but multiple different slots to choose from to mount them ON, in either Adventure, or Co-Op mode.

Discuss?

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Gun Placement (Adventure/Co-Op Only)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 12:48:13 am »
How would you implement this when there are too any spots that dont allow for weapons on, specialy heavy weapons.

Offline Koali

• Salutes: 56
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 07:56:48 am »
Well, perhaps mirrored ships?

On the incoming pirate Squid...

"Hey Jack, look! A lone Pyramidion... And it looks like it's full of treasure!"

"Hey Will, you're right! Let's sidle up to its starboard side-- no guns there!"

"Wait, wha--"

And the Squid disintegrates from the Starboard Gat-Mortar bifecta on the mirrored Pyra.

Offline MidnightWonko

• Salutes: 5
    • [FIRE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 12:48:57 pm »
Well, perhaps mirrored ships?

On the incoming pirate Squid...

"Hey Jack, look! A lone Pyramidion... And it looks like it's full of treasure!"

"Hey Will, you're right! Let's sidle up to its starboard side-- no guns there!"

"Wait, wha--"

And the Squid disintegrates from the Starboard Gat-Mortar bifecta on the mirrored Pyra.

If that were the case then Spyglasses would become useful for more than just tagging ships.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 04:17:57 pm »
I've wanted mirrored ships for the long time, the squid really bothers me with its port side helm going against naval tradition and international standards.

Starboard comes from steer-board, the side the ship is steered from; where the archaic word for port - larboard, loading board is the side the ships cargo was loaded from. (later became port due to frequent  miscommunication of the similar sounding words and because that side of the ship faced port when loading.) The reason ships internationally adopted this distinction is due to right-of-way laws in shipping traffic, (vessels on a starboard tack have right of way and passing vessels on port tacks have to pass to the leeward of the starboard tacking vessels - this continued after the age of sail) if the helm is on the opposite side when passing the ship visibility is obscured and there is a relatively high risk of collision. (I'd also like to point out the limited visibility of the starboard side of the squid from the helm)

Hurr durr GOI isn't real life - yes but the GOI world is supposed to be an alternative future of our world in which the first Great War never ended, so - mirror the squid please, and then mirror the pyramidion so the change is even. It hurts my immersion.

(yes, I do know there are a few RARE modern-day vessels that have port side helms)

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 05:08:04 pm »
I've wanted mirrored ships for the long time, the squid really bothers me with its port side helm going against naval tradition and international standards.

Starboard comes from steer-board, the side the ship is steered from; where the archaic word for port - larboard, loading board is the side the ships cargo was loaded from. (later became port due to frequent  miscommunication of the similar sounding words and because that side of the ship faced port when loading.) The reason ships internationally adopted this distinction is due to right-of-way laws in shipping traffic, (vessels on a starboard tack have right of way and passing vessels on port tacks have to pass to the leeward of the starboard tacking vessels - this continued after the age of sail) if the helm is on the opposite side when passing the ship visibility is obscured and there is a relatively high risk of collision. (I'd also like to point out the limited visibility of the starboard side of the squid from the helm)

Hurr durr GOI isn't real life - yes but the GOI world is supposed to be an alternative future of our world in which the first Great War never ended, so - mirror the squid please, and then mirror the pyramidion so the change is even. It hurts my immersion.

(yes, I do know there are a few RARE modern-day vessels that have port side helms)

I remember you telling me that in game on voice chat quite some time ago.... :)

Offline GeoRmr

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 05:15:25 pm »
heh, sorry for the rant  :-X

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 05:16:16 pm »
I would be 100% ok with having mirrored ships in skirmish mode. It would add a lot of new gameplay variety and add, effectively, 7-ish new ships (I guess the Junker and the Mobula wouldn't benefit)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 05:29:46 pm by DJ Logicalia »

Offline SirNotlag

• Salutes: 17
    • [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 05:28:08 pm »
I would prefer just having more ships to choose from to provide the variety

Offline David Dire

• Salutes: 62
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 09:56:43 pm »
What about this for components?
You get a certain amount of slots, and get to choose where and how many of each component (guns, balloon and hull, engines) there are. The requirement would only be 1 hull armour and balloon, max, and two turning engines. That'd work for Co-op/Adventure, right?

#Sixenginesquid

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 11:33:25 pm »
I would be 100% ok with having mirrored ships in skirmish mode. It would add a lot of new gameplay variety and add, effectively, 7-ish new ships (I guess the Junker and the Mobula wouldn't benefit)
Double Mirrored Pyra tactic.
You either have a kill zone between two ships, or a fleet that is blind only to the back!

But I don't think a lot of other ships will gain variety with mirrors. Junkers, Mobulas, and Goldfishes mirror the same. Spire's guns are so close together that I don't think mirror will make a whole lot of difference. Galleon is just a movement of one light gun (which might change the long-range, short-range sides on a few builds, I guess). Squid is fast enough (despite Gilder's complaints, which may or may not be valid) that it practically has no blindsides.

However, Mirrored Pyra will make for more interesting Pyra Battles for sure. Might start seeing that forth gun actually do work.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 12:46:35 am »
Being able to customise a balloon or engine would be kinda nice, for example a balloon that has more health and, but can't be buffed and is less maneuverable.

Offline GeoRmr

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 10:26:37 am »
Double Mirrored Pyra tactic.
You either have a kill zone between two ships, or a fleet that is blind only to the back!

But I don't think a lot of other ships will gain variety with mirrors. Junkers, Mobulas, and Goldfishes mirror the same. Spire's guns are so close together that I don't think mirror will make a whole lot of difference. Galleon is just a movement of one light gun (which might change the long-range, short-range sides on a few builds, I guess). Squid is fast enough (despite Gilder's complaints, which may or may not be valid) that it practically has no blindsides.

However, Mirrored Pyra will make for more interesting Pyra Battles for sure. Might start seeing that forth gun actually do work.

Fun fact, the starboard gun on a goldfish is actually angled slightly more for'd than the port gun.