Author Topic: The Balloons that fight back. (CP maps)  (Read 5264 times)

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
The Balloons that fight back. (CP maps)
« on: March 17, 2015, 12:03:13 pm »
I have been mulling this over for a while, and think it would be an interesting new aspect of Capture Point maps if the points would have defenses. The marker balloon could have guns added (easiest idea?) or there could be a pair of guard drones (retextured and rearmed target dummies) that circle the point and fire on anyone that does not own the point. This would be everyone at first. Once you cap the point, the defenses then become yours.

Not sure if the guards drones/main balloon would be active only when the point was active, or all the time. This would make camping the next point a little more interesting, as you could not claim it, and they would keep attacking you.

Interesting options for rearming:

Grenade mines. Like regular mines, only smaller and less powerful. (shatter/impact)

Tommy gun. Slower firing Gatling with fewer rounds. (piercing/shatter)

Bull Pug. Mini Minotaur with flechette instead of shatter. (impact/flechette)

Styx. Reduced power Hades with no arming time. (Fire/fire)

Two random guns on each balloon/guard. All guns would have 90 deg arcs horizontal, and 60 deg vertical.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
Re: The Balloons that fight back. (CP maps)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 12:42:15 pm »
Isn't dislodging the defenders of a capture point difficult enough?

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 01:25:19 pm »
Drones that attack anyone regardless if the point is captured or not!

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 06:39:41 pm »
Bring back the old cap rules and it makes sense.

Also I'm leaning towards it attacking defenders or the use of mines, because I define it as an auto defense system than "hacking" the facility. Because from lore logic... why would defenders of the facility raid their own facility's resources?

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 06:56:17 pm »
Please don't. Any of those. Don't.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 07:32:59 pm »
Isn't "the balloons that fight back" supposed to come with attack and defense modes? The "Oil rig simulator"?

I like the idea of retextured target dummies with peashooters. Just make that balloon a little more reasonable, and create little mosquito ships that can be massacred.

This gives me an idea. What about a Heavy "Mine Launcher" that doesn't shoot mines, but fires a floating platform with one of those peashooters?
A heavy gun that is weaker than other heavy guns (and maybe weaker than most light guns), with the benefit of not having to man a gun to shoot it.
I guess a Galleon could abuse the hell out of that... Maybe the turrets only stay for 30ish seconds to balance that out?

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 09:35:51 pm »
I think that the point should put the defenders at a disadvantage to make things more interesting. Kinda like desert scrap but more sided against defenders. The intensity of the disadvantage (dust for example) could increase the longer one side has the point.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 10:21:05 pm »
Well, my first impulse was to have the guards keep respawning and just attack anything, but thought people would complain about them not taking sides. So, attacking the nearest ship seems to be the popular choice after all.

Indreams, I had that same thought a while ago. We even had a name for the gun, 'Deimos', twin brother of Phobos. It would be interesting if there were multiple versions of the Deimos to select, each having a different one of the small gun listed above on it.