Author Topic: Metamidion vs Gat Artemis Pyramidion.  (Read 9208 times)

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
Metamidion vs Gat Artemis Pyramidion.
« on: March 18, 2015, 08:38:52 pm »
So today in Ryder mumble came a discussion about metamidion versus Gatling Artemis Pyramidion, and it was a good chat, so I want to bring up the same discussion here! :)

Metamidion (Gatling Mortar, third is normally banshee, flamer or Artemis)
Versus
Gatling Artemis pyramidion. (third is normally Artemis or Banshee)

I personally find Gatling Artemis a very dominant ship against the metamidion, with a lot of success, especially in situations where you can split the enemy and force them into 1v1 situations.

But what do you all think? :)

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
Re: Metamidion vs Gat Artemis Pyramidion.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 09:17:08 pm »
With a good Artemis shooter, Gat Art would dominate. Pyramidion has a rather long approach range with open front guns. The artemis would have a good amount of time to snipe the only two guns that matter, Gat-Mortar.
Also, with the Pyra hull health reduction, Artemis can almost match the effectiveness of the Mortar (against other Pyramidions).

However, if you get an Artemis shooter that blindly fires at the enemy hull (fresh players and etc.), Mortar would be better.
And against other ships, Gat-Art Pyramidion won't match the rapid kill potential of a metamidion.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 02:47:20 am »
The gat mort wins if it succeeds at positioning.

For example, being above the gat art pyra.
While the gat art pyra has to be at almost even levels or higher versus their opponents.

So if you are good at tracking their positions, gat art.
If you are good at being difficult to track, gat mort.

Also, Mortar pre armor down can help the armor to go down faster.

But a gat art can always control his situation when the shots are in.
But if Gat art would be a better choice then it would result in who gets whichs gun down first.
Where i then suggest heavy clip on the gattling to be the secondary disabler if it so happens that there is a contender to their artemis. (This is also applied for a Burst Mortar, on a heavy clip gat burst mort pyra).

But having an 1:1 even fighting chances is actualy not desired, well depends on the confidence of whichever side. So when one chooses art gat, the other could go for gat mort and try to out meneuver, suprise or whatever. Which they will greatly be rewarded for than a gart art suprising.

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 03:06:29 am »
Gat art alongside metamidion: Yes very effective, as shown by SPQR a couple of times in competitive matches now. :)

Gat art vs other ships?
Longer range disable vs Blender fish,
More regular disables against Catfish,
Ability to keep Galleon broad side disabled in two to three shots (with a good gunner, three for left side.)
Disables on squid engines makes piloting for the enemy difficult and often causes them to collide with terrain or make mistakes in positioning (in my experience in both pubs and competitive)
But the Gatling mortar is very weak against mobula and Junkers as the disable for a Junker is 3 very precise, hard to take shots, and same for mobula..

Positioning: Crafek you've got it spot on, height is the ships requirement, thus making staying Lowe and sneaky a big risk with the time needed to raise altitude, and staying high in advance tough as you'll be easily visible. :)

Offline c-ponter

• Salutes: 14
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 03:56:56 am »
Imo it is really strong against pyras and goldfish.
But gat-carro is really good vs mobula, junker and galleon in my experience. If you want full disabling I have yet to see a ship deal with arti-carro effectively ( I know that's a little off track but I thought I'd put it out there)
But yeah, I agree that unless the meta gets a really good approach they are unlikely to win that fight.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 06:10:50 am »
In a head to head battle, I would say the Metamidion is the better choice. The occassional disable of the artemis is nice to have as a back up, but sheer piloting can negate that Artemis.

In general, Gat/Artemis is good when you want to deny the enemy the possibility of running away, but when you really need a ship to die quickly, than the normal Metamidion is the way to go, because that is what you use it for, for quick kills.

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 07:06:58 am »
The gat art denys the meta ship kills, and yes of they get a good position the meta wins on gat art, but if the gat art gets good position, the metamodion has no.chance to turn and fight back.
Also the gat art is not for quick kills, it is for prolonged torture of the enemy (bah humbug to all you hull breaker waiters) disable and watch the enemy squirm as the Gatling slowly strips away their life.

Also gat art wins in range, if you are far behind a meta you can disable them, more versatility, if the meta is far behind, its a mighty big gap to close before in effective range

Offline Supimpa

• Salutes: 8
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 08:29:39 am »
I've had way too many clueless gunners to risk Artemis on a pyramidion, but sure, with a good gunner it can counter a metamidion, just like any other ship with a good artemis...

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 08:38:49 am »
Actually I find with pubs the Gatling Artemis much easier to teach the mechanics of, when meta explaining armour, hull and red cross hairs is often too much for many people, I even had one person bring up a pretty valid point of, if the timing of explosive damage is important, why is it upto a gungineer who has other responsibilities and not the gunner... While most others just go "whatever yolotryhard 360noscope grandpa I'm gunna shoot flare.

But Artemis you let them shoot a few shots, if they shoot balloon you explain to aim at guns and engines, then you let them shoot and repair happily as you see their aim increase.
Second match still got the same crew? Start calling targets like "left gun" or "right gun"
Third match? MLGpro skills. 8)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 08:41:59 am by Kamoba »

Offline Supimpa

• Salutes: 8
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 09:01:10 am »
If the person shooting the weapon is willing to listen, both guns are easy to explain. That is not the case most of the time playing with random people, that's why I tend to go with the more straightfoward gun.

Call me a masoquist, but I enjoy queuing solo and playing with random people, the surprises and rewards are really gratificating if you handle the frustration till you form a good crew.

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 09:35:52 am »
Actually spoke about this last night, playing solo is high risk in exchange for the chance of high reward play, you take the risk of being part of a team that cannot operate, in exchange for the chance to be rewarded by meeting awesomenauts. (How I met most of my friends \o/ )

So its more like a fruit machine than anything else. 8)

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 11:18:18 am »
I feel like a discussion about ship vs ship should also take the 2v2 concept into account. Any ship that gets into a better position will win, but what I meant was that it is easier to rise above an Artemis than it is to rise above a Mortar and staying below a Gat/Art Pyramidion is far more forgiving than staying below a Metamidion which will be able to outright kill you when you do that. Because of the Artemis the Gat/Art Pyra could be able to stop the enemy from escaping if it manages to get the engines in time, but at the same time the Gat/Mortar could actually get a kill. On a 2 dimensional plane in 1v1 head on, Gat/Art would win, if the gunner is able to hit.

Taking allies into account:
Gat Art will only then stop a ship from moving when it gets a clear shot on the engines. It will not be able to reliably destroy or the enemies front guns or the side gun that are shooting the Pyras ally. In this scenario the Gat/Art can happiely disable everything, but is not going to quick enough to actually save his ally. It will have even less ability to do so when the Gat/Art Pyra gets shot by something else as either its armor is taking damage or the balloon and thus one explosive gun, which is probably either Artemis or Banshee will often enough not be enough to kill the target quickly.

Compared to that the Metamidion can stop a ship from moving by simply killing it, doesn't have to bother to destroy front guns in order to make a ship stop shooting because it can just kill the ship. When a Metamidion's armor gets damaged, the Mortar is going to shoot just fine and when the balloon gets destroyed, the Mortar has arcs for longer than the Artemis.

If you want that Artemis disable for your ally in medium to close range, one would take a Hwachafish instead.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 11:21:36 am by Dementio »