Author Topic: Pilot tool: Rebuild signal  (Read 8624 times)

Offline MidnightWonko

• Salutes: 5
    • [FIRE]
    • View Profile
Pilot tool: Rebuild signal
« on: March 10, 2015, 12:00:32 am »
Looks kinda like a radio.  While active, all destroyed components rebuild at a rate of...Iono, like maybe 1/sec.

Pro: useful when multiple components are destroyed.
Cons: does nothing for simply damaged components.  Must remain actively selected to work (thus making it pretty much unusable synchronously with a repair tool).  Occupies a slot that could be taken by a mobility pilot tool (pilot) or a spyglass (engie or gunner).  Does not stack with other Rebuild Signals on the same crew.  Slower rebuild than any engie tool on a single component.

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
Re: Pilot tool: Rebuild signal
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 09:30:55 am »
Interesting idea. But I guess the cons section might be too small to be balanced.

I mean...
Imagine the squid.
Drop squids armor.
PUFF. It's damn up again.
NO THANKS.

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 09:53:17 am »
Interesting idea. But I guess the cons section might be too small to be balanced.

I mean...
Imagine the squid.
Drop squids armor.
PUFF. It's damn up again.
NO THANKS.

"Slower rebuild speed than any engi tool"

Imagine malleting a squids hull. That downside is waaaay too harsh, Id rather take chute vent than this tool

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 10:14:26 am »
Engineers would never take spyglass again because this tool would make them very over - powered, even if this tool had a downside, it completely removes the point of disable weapons entirely and I cant see any down side which would make this tool balanced, even if the effect was very minor...

Need things rebuilt faster? Get your gungineer on repairs on vital components. :)

Offline MidnightWonko

• [FIRE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 12:06:14 pm »
Engineers would never take spyglass again because this tool would make them very over - powered, even if this tool had a downside, it completely removes the point of disable weapons entirely and I cant see any down side which would make this tool balanced, even if the effect was very minor...

Need things rebuilt faster? Get your gungineer on repairs on vital components. :)

I imagine it would need some tweaking, but with how big of a deal tactical awareness is, it would be redundant for both engies to use this item.  It would also be anywhere from crazy hard to frickin' impossible to use this while simultaneously repairing, rebuilding, buffing, or fighting.  It would also be COMPLETELY impossible to use while gunning.

Anyhoo, we're all here to bat around ideas, right?  What do you guys think could make this a viable pilot tool?  ...or other tool...?

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 05:09:41 pm »
If it is a HELM tool then maybe.
Also if the rebuild strength is weaker than wrench or is the wrench, then its more viable.

Because if it is a helm tool, then only one can use it, which is the pilot... and he sacrifices 1 pilot tool to help on rebuild.
But ide also suggest it takes 60% of engine power away just to make them easier to hit if use in combat.
That way, pilots would use the tool during a complete brake down.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 02:05:44 am »
Very risky to implement, pain in the ass to balance, will change nothing. So it's 3 times no.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 02:28:11 pm »
Would definitely need to be a helm tool and also some con along with it which is a bit hard to suggest because most cons wouldn't effect you. Oh no, I've lost speed while my engines are down.

Maybe if you were mot susceptible to fire or if the hp regained when rebuilt by this method was lower than if naturally repaired.

Its a very fascinating idea.

Offline MidnightWonko

• [FIRE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 04:59:55 am »
Would definitely need to be a helm tool and also some con along with it which is a bit hard to suggest because most cons wouldn't effect you. Oh no, I've lost speed while my engines are down.

The unobvious con is that this tool would occupy a slot that would normally be taken up by another tool like Phoenix Claw or Kerosene.  Beyond that, though, I think also reducing mobility somehow isn't a bad idea, as there would otherwise be no reason to turn it off when a different pilot tool is not needed.

I don't see why it would have to be only useable on the helm, though; any engie or gunner who takes it is not taking a Spyglass.  A crew that is able to coordinate so that at least one crewmember has a Spyglass while the others have other pilot tools to compliment the rest of the ship, in my opinion, deserves the benefits of their teamwork.

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 12:23:08 pm »
Yes, but more than one person may take it, and used approprietaly, might render the ship invulnerable. Almost, but, well, at least much harder to kill. Even with mobility penalty.

Offline MidnightWonko

• [FIRE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 03:34:51 pm »
Yes, but more than one person may take it, and used approprietaly, might render the ship invulnerable.

The effect wouldn't stack, though, and has no repair power at all; only rebuild power, and very minor at that:

Looks kinda like a radio.  While active, all destroyed components rebuild at a rate of...Iono, like maybe 1/sec.

Cons: does nothing for simply damaged components.  Must remain actively selected to work (thus making it pretty much unusable synchronously with a repair tool).  Occupies a slot that could be taken by a mobility pilot tool (pilot) or a spyglass (engie or gunner).  Does not stack with other Rebuild Signals on the same crew.  Slower rebuild than any engie tool on a single component.

Or did you mean that even that would make ships insanely hard to destroy?